Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-03-2012, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont give high estimates just so they say no, I just refuse to charge "what the market charges", and charge to make money and support my business in an effort to expand and support itself. This industry is 15 years behind itself when it comes to mowing. Equipment and everything has gone up but the prices keep dropping, I don't care how efficient the equipment has become. Not something I want to try and fight against right now. Also with my schedule the landscaping works out much better than mowing. Remember I want the focus of my business to be on landscaping NOT mowing. I'm done with trying to be the "jack of all trades" type of business. Some of the most successful guys on here offer all services or are focused on one thing. So each works, I'd just rather be rid of the mowing side. But if push comes to shove......
Old 05-03-2012, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnieobrien View Post
they might think your other wrk is high too. Posted via Mobile Device
In all honesty if they think my mowing is too high then that type of customer doesn't fit into my plan anyways for landscaping, get my drift??? This isn't easy work, good equipment isn't free, and people cost money. People don't want to do their own landscaping or maintenance just because of that, hard work with junk equipment. Want good work...you better be prepared to pay for it. I dont hire the cheapest, but I know a lot of people and we trade or help each other. There are business out there who are cheap, not on purpose, and do good work. What do theyfind out? "Man this is a hard and expensive business to run and no one will accept my price increases so I just need to close the doors." They come and go all the time. I'm not looking to book hundreds of cheap jobs (landscape or mowing) and play the volume game and work from sun up to sun down. I'm looking for the elite person, this doesn't always mean mega rich, that will pay for the extra details and customer service. Have a consistent number of manageable customers. If they don't want that, in all honesty they'll just call everyone on their list of businesses anyways. I want referrals, then they know what they're getting into.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah I understand. My goals with this is to run 1-2 maintenance crews as focus on more installs and hopefully get into hardscapes and irrigation.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-03-2012, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I will say this. My fulltime gig, although fun, is getting old. I'm not looking to be the next landscape millionaire. 50k gross to me would do me well. I've got a sugar momma somewhat....
Old 05-03-2012, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Hahahahaha that's always a plus. I'm a college student. And 50 to 55 a year net pay would be nice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-17-2012, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I know I said I don't want to mow anymore but a friend's mower stopped working so I'm helping him out this year. It's an acre property and worth it. Sorry, my truck kept getting in the way.
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2012, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Looks good man.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The reason we do not use the brown hardwood mulch (the reason we don't use it) is because theres so much dust and the chips are small. Yes it does decompose fast but thats not always good. The main issue is that it washes very easy and does not last like the larger chips.
People pay you to hold their hand. If you don't like doing it, then you are in the wrong business.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I prefer my mulches to be a combination of fines and "chip" material. Most customers that I've worked with do not like the look of just chips. I will say that a local supplier had a mulch product that was "triple ground" and was more like a fine dust material with very few chips. It looked good with initial application but turned into this very hard product. Almost like it had cemented itself together and created a shell over the landscape beds. Definitely did not like that product. A small mulch job I did the other day had the absolute perfect consistency of fines to chips. Very easy to spread and looked great. That's why I really dislike red mulches as all they tend to be is chip material. Luckily I haven't done a red job in years. With the "chippy" mulches i feel you need to remove so much of the previous years product to make a nice level surface to mulch on. But to each their own I guess.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-18-2012, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Very nice looking work. the pride just shows right through it all.
2003 Big Tex 70-PI 6.5'x16' trailer
Happy homeowner trimmer (for now)