Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-10-2002, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Member

1/4 acre w/house driveway and 5 trees BID??

1/4 acre w/house driveway and 5 trees BID?? just mowing and trimming here guys
Old 10-11-2002, 05:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Without any measurements on the property it is hard to say. I have a $35 minimum regardless. So depending on all the factors involved $35-$50.
Old 10-11-2002, 05:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Are you brand new to the lawn business rross?

You will get lots of people to give you their bid as my friend 65 hoss did but you have to remember that each area is a little different in pricing. I know some areas where a guy might do this for 25 or 30 bucks a week. Then there is another where he will get 60 a week.
So use the rates as a starting point but you really need to check your costs and what your market will bear.
You don't want to be the lowest or the highest guy on the block if you are just starting out.

As 65hoss said, he has a minimum bid of 35.00 for any property. He knows that driving up and dropping the gate he has to make 35 bucks to be worth the trip. That is a good thing to do. If you are new to the biz I would suggest you look to the Business forum section to find out lots of info on pricing and figuring out costs. Good Luck
Old 10-11-2002, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks mow ed and hoss, you have actually been very helpful.... It seems I have been catching alot of flak because I am new...I thought most people on here would give me good advice, but mostly they just make fun and are downright mean. You however give good advice..I thank you very much!!!
Old 10-11-2002, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

$40 QUICK AND EASY -MAYBE MORE
Old 10-11-2002, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

prices mentioned sound about in line. there are a few things to remember though... your area may differ from others as to what the going rate on a particular size is. that being mentioned, just walk the yard and make note of the size of it, how much trimming there is, edging, other obsticles and base your avg prices off of that. once you do a few, you'll know about where to estimate it at.

42" Walker, 24.5 LC Kubota Gas
60" Exmark Lazer Z 26 EFI with Ultra Vac
redmax bcz3000
redmax 7001
Old 10-12-2002, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

depends on gates, can I put my 60" rider on? Do i have to use trim mower? Sidewalks? lawn cared? Sprinklered? All change the price. Is there a place to park? If parking in drive how difficult
to back in? busy or quiet street? How many others in area?

Ed
Old 10-12-2002, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rross
It seems I have been catching alot of flak because I am new...I thought most people on here would give me good advice, but mostly they just make fun and are downright mean
Giving advice is one thing, running your business for you is another. You say you have been doing this part time for five years and thinking of going pro. I don't think you have been doing it for five days with every question you ask about pricing. Were here to help, and learn. Giving you numbers to every property you look at is stupid. Every business has to know what their costs are, what they can offer, what THEIR market will allow for pricing. You need to educate yourself about business more. Asking how much for this or how much for that teaches you nothing and will only make things worse. You will never know what it takes to arrive at theses numbers and eventually will make you go broke. Spend more time sitting back and listening and reading old posts and take them apart and try to apply them to YOUR business as best as will allow.
How much time do you have to sell to your market? That is what we are doing. Find out what your expenses are? What your pay needs to be? How much can be done in a day, a week, a month. Set some time goals. How long to achieve this, and that. It takes years to achieve and make profit in a business and you will sacrifice much to get there. Do you want to be big, or small. These all factor into long and short term goals. Future equipment purchases. I've been busting my balls for two years and don't make squat. Of course the business is continually growing and buying equipment and paying for it. I am happy with where I'm at and the business is at. For now, I'll give up the weekend dining and drinking to grow the business. This is acquired by research and hard work, not asking someone 5 states away how much to mow and trim a 1/4 acre lot
I'm not trying to be a dick, but figure something out on your own. That's what business owners do quite a bit. We all learn by trial and error.
Ask yourself, is it fair that so and so lawncare learned the hard way, and I'm asking them to tell me for free? Go out and cut a property for a loss because you underbid it,yet still want to be professional enough and finish the job anyways. Then reveal your hardknocks to me for free. It doesn't work that way and really isn't too fair. If I'm wrong, please correct me. There is a fine line between friendly advice and screwing yourself. There have been a handful of guys on here with first hand experiences about helping someone and then getting screwed by them down the road.
I certainly commend you on your effort of starting a business at your young age, more power to you. Although it doesn't make too much sense to just hand you all the information without the knowledge or experience to put it to good use. Hard work and time spent will gain you that. It doesn't happen from a website.
Old 10-14-2002, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Member

I'd like to start by saying that I never intended on bidding a project with the prices I am given online. That would be stupid. I ask those questions to get a feel for what the industry as a whole is doing around me. I know taking a persons advice from five states away is stupid cause obviously the market is different, but it is economically benefical to me to know what markets in other states are doing as I learn and grow a company. For someone who "talks the talk" and says I have a lot to learn . huh. You stated in the last post that you are not here basically to run the business for others, that I have to find out for myself how things work and make mistakes anf learn that way!! ok, point taken, then what is this forum for exactly, to talk about tractors and swap folk tale about Joe Bob's grass? No. Ever been to a forum when people talk about different softwares? Well, ok, there goes your theory about you have to learn EVERYTHING ON YOUR OWN right out the window. So if someon tells me ,hey I 'like product X, but I don't liket hat it has problem Y,, well If I need problem Y to wor, then product X is bad for me. Instead of going and buying it, I learn FROM A FORUM that that product is not right for me.. huh, go figure... So when I ask a general question about a bid or lawn job, or leaf blowing don't attack me and basically say I'm going to fail and I am the stupidest person alive,,(which is how I felt after reading your qoute) Instead answer honestly, I'm not running my business through anyone, expecially you. I'm just learning common mistakes while bidding, so far I have gathered alot of useful information, regaurding calculating time, and lot usage as well as critiria factors, all very useful, and they are mistakes I won't make thanks to logical, helpful people who know it can be helpful to have an xperienced person there to point to some of the pitfalls they ran into.. "Figure something out on your own? WE all learn by trial and error" come on now!! The reason this thing exsists is so people can help people, and you seem to clog the flow. On a final note, if you do have a problem with giving me a piece of usful information, then just keep your hands off the keyboard when I post and stop reading my threads and we won't have anymore altercations or conflicts. HAVE A NICE DAY!

Last edited by rross; 10-14-2002 at 01:24 AM.
Old 10-14-2002, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ross,

Do you have any other lawns in that area? If not, this could actually help you. I'm coming from a different perspective here......

what i would do is bid a bit low. then i would flyer the heck out of that neighborhood and surrounding areas. this way, ,you have one lawn to base several more around. this new account may have family and friend to refer you to. i'm in my 2nd year, and this is how i gained many clients....by looking one step ahead. and if this account is in a high traffic area, take it....put signs on your truck and trailer and be sure to do the best job you can do. the guys on here that have been around for a long time and already have a full week of mowing would probably go to the house, bid high then just tell the customer to take it or leave it. (can't wait till i get to that point ) but we on the other hand, can't do that yet.

just thought you may want to hear from another newbies perspective