Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-25-2011, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Stihl FS85 trimmer head question

Hi, Couple nights ago I bought a used Stihl FS85 trimmer off of Craigs List. I thought it was a real deal, and planned to use it as either a backup but now kind of need it as a brush cutter. Maybe I'm missing something but it seems a part is needed for the shaft ... the autocut 25-2 head I bought for it won't fasten on -- there doesn't seem to be enough of an output shaft. Can anyone tell me what part I need please? I attached pics if anyone can give me a hint I would appreciate it! Thanks much, L.
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2011, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Member

By the way, the one pic with 5 pieces - washers, etc. - is what this guy gave me along with the trimmer. Of course, it didn't include any trimmer head to begin with ...
Old 05-25-2011, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That box isn't for a FS85.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Member

P. 20 of the manual for the FS85 lists the autocut 25-2 as a compatible cutting tool though - ??
Old 05-25-2011, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I see your problem. That "Autocut 25-2" you have is just the spool and cap for an Autocut 25-2 head. You don't have the complete line head there.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks rlitman - what I really want to do is add a metal cutting attachment, like a scratcher tooth circ saw to make this one more of a brushcutter. Can you help me figure out what I need to do that? (I suspect the loose parts this guy gave me aren't going to help) thanks
Old 05-25-2011, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You have what you need to mount a blade, as long as you have bike style handles on the tool. The order would be (by you photo) 1) upper right slides onto output shaft 2) upper left goes on next - then the blade 3) then the heavy washer 4) followed by the lighter washer 5) then the bolt. There is a protective cup that should go on to protect the bolt. Looks like it's missing. In order to mount an Autocut head, there is a adapter bolt you will need, because that gearbox it not what belongs on a FS85. It looks like it's off an old FS80E or FS90AVE or maybe a FS65, but those tubes were a different diameter. I believe that bolt is NLA. I think, maybe, you got bamboozled.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was wrong about the availability of the adapter bolt. Part number 4125 713 6600 is still available
Old 05-25-2011, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey Ricky thanks a lot - you have been the most helpful so far, and I really REALLY appreciate it! I did get a Scratcher Tooth Saw Blade (4112 713 4201) and managed to attach it according to your instructions, but yeah, I think there should be something that protects the bolt (I would hope so I should say ... when I was younger I messed up an unsuspecting bolt on a trimmer head that was left unexposed).

So to attach an Auotcut head, I would need the adapter bolt you mentioned, but would ALSO need the spool housing, correct?
(by the way, a guy from Stihl called me today regarding this issue - he said nothing was missing & there was no adapter needed - but he wasn't as keen as you to notice the substituted gearbox). Good eye, Ricky -- you've been a great help!

By the way, do you have a reference guide for all the parts info and model features? (if so where can I get that?) OR, is it (most likely) just by experience you know so much?

thanks again!
Lisa.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There appears to be parts missing for the head. And no, most of the parts info is dealer only,which we are.

Tags
stihl , trimmer head , trimmer problem , trimmer shaft