Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-12-2001, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Rebuild Electric Clutch TORO

I have a Toro that smoked the electric clutch. The field coil became unattatched and burned up. Any tips or tricks to replacing this little guy. I believe I need a press to get the keyway out. Anyone rebuild one before? 81 bucks is better than 220.
Old 07-13-2001, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We normally replace the entire clutch. The reason for not rebuilding the clutch assy is the clutch plates are usually distorted and warped and bearings should be replace also. If you choose to rebuild the unit you need a press to change bearings.
Good luck on what ever you decide to do.
City of San Diego

We enrich lives through quality parks and programs.
Old 07-14-2001, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

buy the whole clutch ,I changed a field coil,then ended up changing the rotor and the bottom plate,would not engage untill 5 thousands clearence,normally 17,cost 60.00 more by pieces
Old 08-16-2001, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

clutch

if money is an object and time is not for you, try calling a few TORO dealers and see if you can get a used one. Mine burnt out in 1999 and I got a used one for about 100.00 and it works every time I hit the button!
Old 11-06-2001, 06:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Man they dont last long I blew all the packin out of mine with few hours. the extra money spent is better than the hassle. replace it
Old 05-27-2011, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Member

i replaced my clutch...

i replaced my electric clutch after the wires started melting on my mower...i took an ohm meter to the clutch and i was reading .5 ohms, which it should be around 3...this meant i was drawing way too much current through the wires and thats why it wasnt working...i just replaced the clutch with a brand new one that read 3 ohms, and i JUST got finished using it for the first time, and i started smelling burnt rubber after about an hour in to mowing...i looked down at the electric clutch and i noticed it was smoking...i quickly shut off the engine, and later tried to turn the blades back on, and now i get nothing...i have gone through 2 electric clutches...could something else be bad? if so please let me know...i really dont want to have to by a whole new mower...but this thing is starting to get on my nerves.