Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-10-2011, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Walker sluggish hydro

I have a 2000 walker just bought used and the left hydro works in both directions but it no where near as strong as the right hydro. I check the fluid level when it was cool and the fluid was above the hot line when the unit was cool. I removed the air bleed bolt and opened the resevoir and let the excess fluid seep out of the air bleed hole. The fluid is now at the proper level and the hydro feels the same. Any ideas would be great!!!
Old 05-11-2011, 06:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Brc51M, did you check the pulley and belt? Is the tension ok on the belt? I have seen more than one hydro replaced for the wrong reason. Check the pulley. The grooves in the pulley may be worn as may be the belt.

Eric
Old 05-24-2011, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Member

So I did a fluid change on the hydro and still have the lack of power in the hydro but I did notice the the hydro release button is stuck out. Could that have anything to do with the sluggish hydro. Also could a lack of gear oil in the gearbox next to the hydro cause this. I havent been able to open the fill hole because the hex on top is rounded
Old 05-24-2011, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

BRC, the shaft for the release is supposed to be out. Pushing it in makes the hydro freewheel.
Did you check the pulley and belt as I suggested? If the belt and pulley are not worn, then you will have to replace the hydro. The level of the gearbox for the drive wheel has nothing to do with a sluggish hydro. I would suggest that get the plug out and check the fluid level. There are other posts discussing the issue with plugs that are worn out.

Eric
Old 05-24-2011, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brc51m View Post
I have a 2000 walker just bought used and the left hydro works in both directions but it no where near as strong as the right hydro. I check the fluid level when it was cool and the fluid was above the hot line when the unit was cool. I removed the air bleed bolt and opened the resevoir and let the excess fluid seep out of the air bleed hole. The fluid is now at the proper level and the hydro feels the same. Any ideas would be great!!!
What model Walker is this?
Hot line?
Air bleed hole?
It is not a MT model that is for sure. They do not have a HOT LINE or an IAR BLEED HOLE. So this must be a MB or MW or maybe a Super B model.
Please state model and serial which is found on the tag by the seat unless it is an MW (walk behind)
Old 05-25-2011, 06:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Walker Hydro

David, I believe that BRC is talking about the line that is marked "hot" on the reservoir for the hydro on the model MT for instance. I think that the air bleed that he is referring to is the 3/4" nut that is used to bleed off the hydro after fluid changes or used to fill the hydro since it takes forever to fill a hydro through the reservoir. Your suggestion to supply the model etc is one that I always forget to ask for.You are right.

Eric
Old 05-25-2011, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

. Check the release pin. I have seen the pins stick half way in and cause pump probelms. Take the belt off the pump and see if the input shaft has any side to side movement. If so the bearing could be the problem. If it get bad enough it can damage the input shaft. Make sure youar getting full travel on your sticks. If the controls do not move freely you can lose power on that side. 2000 Model you say. How many hours on the machine? The pump may simply be going bad.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Ditto to what fixer said I had a 2000 with the same problem, the hydro output shaft was worn, the keyway was junk and the pulley was cooked from the shaft movement. I took the hydro off and replaced the input shaft, bearing and seal, filled her up and working great now.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Member

When I said "hot line" I was referring to the hot level line on the resevoir cup. The model says MC but I called walker to see what they said about the serial # and they said it was a side discharge mower but the walker I have is a GHS. When I said air bleed I was referring to the bolt next to the resevoir cup. I have checked the belt and pulley and both are in very good shape. I think I will unfortunately have to replace this hydro sooner than later.