Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-28-2011, 03:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mr. Willoughby dumps his old gasoline on his grass clippings.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe you could find out who these idiots are and give it to them:

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheBrave.../0/rXqju_QP2qc

These maroons should be charged with impersonating firemen and training officers and jailed.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
Maybe you could find out who these idiots are and give it to them:

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheBrave.../0/rXqju_QP2qc

These maroons should be charged with impersonating firemen and training officers and jailed.
You're right. They are the reason nobody likes volunteer firefighters anymore. It's no wonder every municipality is going with an all-paid staff. This way they can fire them.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
You're right. They are the reason nobody likes volunteer firefighters anymore. It's no wonder every municipality is going with an all-paid staff. This way they can fire them.
Figures

You know for a fact they were vollies? POC?

How many vollies\POC have been laid off and houses closed compared to career?

And maybe you could enlighten me as to what "every municipality" means? Maybe you could even list them?

More ignorance.....
Old 05-28-2011, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
This is the worst case of hose envy I've ever seen. What's the matter? Did you try to join a squad and found out they have standards for admission? Check your facts, more houses are going to two man engines and supplementing with MORE volunteers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-28-2011, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I didn't say I didn't like vollies. Vollies, at least in my area, have a bad rep and it's due to dumb stuff like this. But y'all are right I can't confirm they were vollies. But do you really believe this crowd is from a paid municipal dept. doing stuff like this? You really think they would be burning out of a shipping container?
Old 05-29-2011, 04:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

First of all, I don't see anything wrong with what these guys are doing. They are doing a controlled burn for flashover training. I can tell you...I will guarantee you that was not gasoline being thrown in there. It acted more like kerosene, which is more commonly used (gasoline is never used for training purposes). When we've done flashover traing in the past, it was done aboard a semi trailer set up for this, with propane outlets (very controlled). A freaky feeling seeing the flame roll above and around you, and so hot the boots and visors were being melted. Others have done not flashover, but other live fire exercises in their towers. Fuels were used there, as well. As far as municipalities going from volunteer or poc to full time,..I've never heard of one instance, besides for growth.I DO know though, that it works the other way around. As for training? Here in Michigan, volunteers and poc go through the same rigors and testing standards as full time ff's. The NFPA and IFSTA standards are the same across the grid. FF I and II, along with several other extras (haz-mat certs, NIMS, first aid, CPR and AED, as well as a host of others) are required.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Put it in your mower, it will be fine.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
First of all, I don't see anything wrong with what these guys are doing. They are doing a controlled burn for flashover training. I can tell you...I will guarantee you that was not gasoline being thrown in there. It acted more like kerosene, which is more commonly used (gasoline is never used for training purposes). When we've done flashover traing in the past, it was done aboard a semi trailer set up for this, with propane outlets (very controlled). A freaky feeling seeing the flame roll above and around you, and so hot the boots and visors were being melted. Others have done not flashover, but other live fire exercises in their towers. Fuels were used there, as well. As far as municipalities going from volunteer or poc to full time,..I've never heard of one instance, besides for growth.I DO know though, that it works the other way around. As for training? Here in Michigan, volunteers and poc go through the same rigors and testing standards as full time ff's. The NFPA and IFSTA standards are the same across the grid. FF I and II, along with several other extras (haz-mat certs, NIMS, first aid, CPR and AED, as well as a host of others) are required.
Ever hear or read NFPA 1403 for live fire training?

For starters, flammable liquids are not approved for live fire training. For the obvious reasons. Ever read the stories of the deaths and injuries that have occurred during live fire training when stupidity such as this is occurring? How about the chief and training officers who have been sentenced to jail\prison for this kind of negligence?

Another thing, using flammable liquids and throwing them into a burning room does not consist of flashover training.