Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Magna-Matic
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Magna-Matic Lawn Mower Blade Balancers, Sharpeners, and more

Old 05-28-2011, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Sacraficial (replaceable) worktable surface desired

OK, here's my thought ... my worktable is frequently scarred by working blades across its surface. So why not a dual layer worktable? The expensive piece would be the bottom layer due to the necessary machining required, but couldn't the top layer be a thin (say 1/4 inch) layer that gets replaced when all marked up? It should be far less expensive to make and could sell at a much lower cost as it would simply be a rectangular piece with four countersunk holes.

For now, I periodically run my circular sander w/ 120 grit discs across the worktable to keep it smooth.

Hmmm, maybe I can make this modification to my existing table??
Old 05-30-2011, 05:10 PM
Sponsor

Hello CQ_DX

We are working on some new designs to improve our worktables, any changes we make will be retro-fittable to previous generations of the MAG-8000.

Two points of advise on the table life.
1. The underside of a badly nicked/worn blade should be deburred so the underside is flat.

2. Apply more downward pressure on the blade so it maintains flat contact with the worktable. If you are holding the blade in your hands like a baseball bat you'll have the tendancy to lift the back of the blade and saw the worktable. Your left hand which is more often closer to the grinding wheel should have 3 fingers pressing down on the top of the blade - and your thumb pressing on the thickness of the blade as the inward pressure. Your right hand is simply the push pull force.

Thank you,

Magna-Matic Corporation
Waldo WI USA
800-328-1110 (toll free USA & Canda)
920-564-2366 (PHONE)
gbauer2@magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic-direct.com
www.youtube.com/magnamaticcorp
Old 05-30-2011, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Displaced metal on underside (back) of blade is always removed first.
Down pressure as described always used.
It's the leading edge of blade being sharpened which engages the work surface. In part due to the necessary motion due to the long version of table still being too short. This has me swing some blades in somewhat of an arc to maintain firm contact with table as the close, left corner is further away from wheel.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Sponsor

Hello,

Sounds like you're all inline - we'll let everyone know once the new tables are ready for release. Thank you for your suggestions.

Magna-Matic Corporation
Waldo WI USA
920-564-2366 (PHONE)
gbauer2@magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic.com
Old 07-04-2011, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I am having the same issue with the worktable on my 9000. Mine is grooved clear down into the screw head on the back side of the grinding wheel. I was thinking of cutting down the thickness of one of the 2 worktable pieces by about 1/16th of an inch, then shaping a piece of steel about 1/16th inch thick to match the top and drilling and beveling screw holes in it to match the screw holes in the original. Steel should resist grooving much longer than the stock material. What do you think Gerd ?
Old 07-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Sponsor

Hello 2manymowers

I'll re-ask the question that i did to CQ-DX, are you deburring/holding the blade flat, etc. One item you mention in your post is that the screw behind the grinding wheel is worn down - but is the front one as well? If not this is an indication that you are not keeping the blade flat on the table, but rather "sawing" the worktable with the blade.

We do intend for the worktables to be a wear part - the reason we do not use steel is to make the sliding of the blade smooth. The plastic also prevents chattering and vibration during grinding. We have tested different metals for worktable design, and without lubrication metal on metal does not slide smoothly. The UHMW plastic that we use is abrasion resistant and temp resistant to. Generally speaking most users see 1-2 years out of one worktable surface which as an approx. cost of $14.00.

Remember on the MAG-9000 you have an onboard replacement under the worktable - there are two pieces stacked.

We do continue to experiment with alternate materials, and take customer recommendations to improve the products.

Thank you,

Magna-Matic Corporation
Waldo WI USA
920-564-2366 (PHONE)
gbauer2@magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic.com
Old 07-05-2011, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magna-Matic View Post
Hello 2manymowers

I'll re-ask the question that i did to CQ-DX, are you deburring/holding the blade flat, etc. One item you mention in your post is that the screw behind the grinding wheel is worn down - but is the front one as well? If not this is an indication that you are not keeping the blade flat on the table, but rather "sawing" the worktable with the blade.

We do intend for the worktables to be a wear part - the reason we do not use steel is to make the sliding of the blade smooth. The plastic also prevents chattering and vibration during grinding. We have tested different metals for worktable design, and without lubrication metal on metal does not slide smoothly. The UHMW plastic that we use is abrasion resistant and temp resistant to. Generally speaking most users see 1-2 years out of one worktable surface which as an approx. cost of $14.00.

Remember on the MAG-9000 you have an onboard replacement under the worktable - there are two pieces stacked.

We do continue to experiment with alternate materials, and take customer recommendations to improve the products.

Thank you,
Let me clear up a slight misunderstanding. The screw behind the wheel is not worn down, but the worktable around it is worn down so the blade actually catches on the sunken screw head as I drag the it toward me. Yes, I use high lift blades. Maybe I should try the extended table. Thanks for the replies.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Gerd,

I just swapped the stacked worktables so I have a new one on top and my Magna-Matic 9000 now performs like new again. Thanks for your product support. :)
Old 07-14-2011, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I was wondering if any of you guys offer blade sharpening services in your area with this machine,if so how much do you charge? I can't wait until I'm at the point I can justify buying one of these.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i like the idea of a new workteable for todays blades.

machine is quality man.

hope you and i can meet at GIE and talk for a moment.