Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-29-2011, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Walker Mower Maintenance

I have read several times that Walker Mowers are high maintenance mowers. Why is this? I have never owned a Walker Mower but like the out front deck and it looks as if it should be easy to service, clean and change blades.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

they have 26 grease zerks, maybe thats why

and they are a bit fragile
lawnboy 21
bobcat 36 48 wb
redmax trimmers blowers
traler vac 16hp vanguard
scag sw52a-17ka
350 dump

lesco spreaders and tanks
Old 05-29-2011, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've never had a hard time with service on them. Just take your time and lube everything that moves. Don't forget about the two zerks that you have to take off the tires to get to! LOL It's little things like that I think that make people hate them.

My E-450 Dovetail Van project thread.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=351062&page=7
Old 05-29-2011, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander42 View Post
I've never had a hard time with service on them. Just take your time and lube everything that moves. Don't forget about the two zerks that you have to take off the tires to get to! LOL It's little things like that I think that make people hate them.
You don't need to remove the tires......The fittings are in plain view.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My grease gun has a flexy hose. I also like to get inside there and clean off the crap that has landed on the lift arms.

My E-450 Dovetail Van project thread.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=351062&page=7
Old 05-29-2011, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubotafan View Post
I have read several times that Walker Mowers are high maintenance mowers. Why is this? I have never owned a Walker Mower but like the out front deck and it looks as if it should be easy to service, clean and change blades.
My Walker has 4300+ hours....Least expensive mower I have owned.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Walkers are a complex mower................well worth the money you will spend on maintenance. These mowers put out just as much as you place them through.
I have one unit that is 11 years old........been through 1 new engine. I put never flat tires on the front deck. My unit has 32 grease alimites. The PTO has 3.......one on each main wheel.........one on each deck wheel...........one on each idler pulley under the clam shell. There are 4 grease fittings on the bar system that controls the direction. I can go on in another paragraph, so I won't do it.
The deck components, the wheels and the idler pulleys are the most used pieces to grease. The engagement lever has 3 so treat them nicely as dirt does accumulate on this mechanism. Keep watch on the Hydro fluid fill reservoirs. Check the 4 belts occasionally for wear, gum balls, leaf fragments, grass fragments and all other things like sticks to get in there and heat up. The clutch is another thing to keep in mind......it will fill up with dirt, so get a compressor attachment that has a long narrow needle to get into these hard places to blow out dirt, leaves and debris.
Keep the inner and outer breathers cleaned daily.........don't let this go at all.........keep the grill cleaned off if you have water cooled.

I have been known for saying that my Walker's get better servicing sometimes than my wife. Both are well worth the investment and the maintenance.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

They do have a lot of fittings but some only needed to be greased a couple times a year. My Walker model md with a 21hp 3cylinder Kubota Gas engine has 3700hrs and still goes out each week. A few people has asked when I am going to replace it with a new one. My response, why?
Old 05-30-2011, 06:59 AM
LawnSite Member

What are maintance costs like on items that naturally need replacing, like belts. What do wheel hydros and pumps cost and what is life expectancy on these things? Once you are used to the mower maintance how long does it take?

I was also wondering how easy they are to tie down on a trailer. Do they have any special provisions for tie down straps?

I am two hours from a dealer and I don't know of any in my area so this explains some of these questions. I my area most use residential tractor mowers from Sears, Canadian Tire and John Deere. If a commercial zero turn it will likely be a John Deere or a Kubota. From what I read I prefer the Walker Mower because the weight ia a lot lighter than the commercial zero turns and should do less lawn damage. I also like the out front deck.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMlawncare View Post
They do have a lot of fittings but some only needed to be greased a couple times a year. My Walker model md with a 21hp 3cylinder Kubota Gas engine has 3700hrs and still goes out each week. A few people has asked when I am going to replace it with a new one. My response, why?
That motor is now legendary...they routinely go well beyond 3000 hours.