Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-13-2002, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

"Rookie" questions

Alrighty guys, I will be meeting with the gardener of a new estate next week to start the applications there. It is a new place with some of the zoysia sod having been put down last april and som of it a few weeks ago. In all about 19000 sq yards.

Like most of you I want to do it right with NO SCREW UPS. Being "new" to this end of things and wanting this to grow literally I guess I want some ideas and reasurence for some of mine.

This is the "Jones'es" house that everyone will be keeping up with. (if they had a few mill they could) It will come with 3 or 4 other lawns too. So you can see how important it is to me.

The zoysia has poor color it has been fert twice once with 13-13-13 and once with 19-19-19 and hasn't been limed. Soil test were done but wern't relly followed.

So heres my thoughts:
4 or 5 new soil test cause the lawn looks different in different areas.

get pH adjusted.

pre-m with pendulum, and lesco micro mix then spot spray for broadleafs now

Feb-March pre-m micro mix and spot spray

April Pre-m and micro mix and spot spray

June 38-3-10 lesco

August 38-3-10

oct pre-m 3 way and winterizer

next nov. lime again

What do youall think?

Jim
Old 10-13-2002, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Forget your pre-em apps for this season.

Use post for this season.

Can't change the PH to fast, so let what has been applied do it's thing. Get their soil test and use it.

It has plenty of starter, so drop a light dose of slow release now.

Next season hit it with 0-0-7 .1% dim. Feb/Mar

As soon as it starts to come back out of dormancy, hit it with 20-10-10 ?-scu or 24-6-12 40%scu.

This will have you growing good, and give good color.

June hit with what 24-6-12 again.

Aug is too soon.

September 24-6-12

winterizer.
Old 10-13-2002, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Addict

I would say use the fall pre-m to keep away the poa anna and wild onions, and henbit. I haven't applied my pre-m's yet, but I will very soon. I have never used pendimentalin though I may try it. I might not go so high on the N next year,IMO. Zoysia likes a lot a nitrogen, but it likes it at a slower release. To get the keep the deep green color be sure to apply FE, with your fert. If you fert with high N, just plan on mowing every 5 to 7 days with a bagger because, believe me, it will take over. As far as a post, you wont need to use it often, and if you do it will probably be for grassy weeds. Zoysia is so thick and lush that it literally chokes out weeds. Very little nutsedge will emerge if its heavily irrigated, thats where the post comes in. You my know more about this than me, I dont know. Just about all I cut down here in LR is Zoysia of Bermuda. The info above is just my opinion.