Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colehog View Post
One month ago bought 2 Bad Boy 28 hp diesel mowers. Have tried many mowers before deciding on these 2, liked the ride and decent cut. Problems started after one week, deck bearing went out, paint chipping off, hydraulic leak, bolts on exhaust guard vibrated off, and after 30 days went to get on mower and the deck won't move up or down. What to do? I like the mowers except for the problems. Called bad boy said some things might be fixed under warranty but would sell me a can of spray paint for 13.99. Instead of working tomorrow I will be driving 70 miles to dealer to get issues fixed. Hope this is not an ongoing problem especially for the price you pay. A little unhappy right now so venting since I paid for NEW equipment so I wouldn't have to work on equipment all the time. Anyone else with these issues?? More reviews to come good or bad.

Cole Hog - 2 bad boy 28 hp Diesel
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Kawasaki Weedeaters
Kawasaki Stick Edger
Redman Blower
I used to have one like yours, 2006 28hp cat 60inch cut. I had bearing problems on mine as well. I also had switch problems with the deck height just like you do. I had to replace all of my spindle bearings by 300 hours. I also had my hydraulic lines blow off quite often as well. You will want to keep your radiator washed out with a pressure washer or your going to have over heating problems. I many other problems as well and i finally sold mine at the end of last year. The engine was very strong but unfortunately the rest of the mower was not. I have had much better luck with my lightning.

Good Luck!
Old 06-04-2011, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My lightning has been nearly flawless and I love it for the price. I've read here of one other guy having some issues with the badboy AOSr. My lightning is built like a tank..hard to believe any of their commerical machines would have weak frames or decks. The deck jack can bind if you run it all the way up. What deck bearing..you mean one of the three blade spindles? I do think BB may not screen thier parts as well as other brands. (I had a belt tension spring break after 1 year replaced free quickly) That said, I'm still mowing with my BB long past the time my SCAG tiger cub burst into flames in mid mow.
THREAD discussing the CUB fire HERE
CUB Disassembly photos: HERE
THREAD CUB Disassembly HERE
Old 08-15-2011, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Bad Boy AOS Diesel Problems

We bought a bad boy aos 28cat diesel three weeks ago and have had nothing but problems. Park brake wont hold, water temp guage doesnt work, idler pulley for pump belt severely misaligned so its eating belts, cut quality SUCKS in tall fescue, and throws major clumps unless its "drought" dry, and now the fuel guage leaks diesel fuel all over the tank and tire. Took it back to the dealership, and they were going to grind inside the drum of the park brake to "roughen it up"....lol...&*%$#@! idiots! Then called Bad boy factory only to get the run around and be told that a "sales rep" would be out after labor day to look at it.. Thats 4 weeks from now! Wondering if anyone ealse is having issue like this? so far, all I can say is I cant depend on the mower, the factory, or the pathetic dealer i bought it from.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Subscribing for the time being....bad press about bad boy doesn't last on here.

I really want to hear more though.

Last edited by nepatsfan; 08-15-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Member

My lightning is still going strong(knock on wood). It must be the AOS platform. I haven't heard anything bad about the 35hp cat but with the standard gas AOS and 28hp cat I've heard numerous complaints. It's too bad cause those cat machines are a beast.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-15-2011, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fier23 View Post
My lightning is still going strong(knock on wood). It must be the AOS platform. I haven't heard anything bad about the 35hp cat but with the standard gas AOS and 28hp cat I've heard numerous complaints. It's too bad cause those cat machines are a beast.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm like you, I have a Lightning, and as heavily as they're built, it's hard to believe that the frames could fail. I think that all but one of the few frame problems I have heard of have been on the 28 Cat, and they do seem to vibrate more than any of the other engines used by BB.

I remember someone bringing up the frames on Lightnings and I thought
" man you apparently have never seen a frame on a Lightning or AOS in person or you wouldn't be questioning how heavy they are".

I put mine in the shop for the first time last Monday because I too had an idler pulley that was out of alignment and it would occasionally throw the belt.
That issue and the fact that it came from the factory with an EXTREMELY lean air/fuel mixture have been my only problems (knock on wood). It's now out of warranty so I'm hoping my luck holds out.

In the end, machines are machines and you're going to run into a problem here and there no matter what name it carries or how much you paid for it.

So far, in my case, I'm happy with what I got for the money I spent. It's going to be interesting to see how BB does in the long run, and who will be saying "I told you so" to the question of whether or not they turn out to be a good value in the long run.

When it comes to buying equipment it's a crap shoot. WE ALL PAYS OUR MONEY AND WE ROLLS THE DICE!!!!!! :-)

Last edited by StanWilhite; 08-15-2011 at 08:07 PM. Reason: typo's
Old 08-15-2011, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to bad boy mowers where your pain is our gain, thank you for your contributions.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepatsfan View Post
Subscribing for the time being....bad press about bad boy doesn't last on here.

I really want to hear more though.
give me a call anytime....lol. Id love to tell you about how this problem is going.......... 704 640 9553. I got the run-around at the factory again today, same as always. Its a real shame that they handle their business like that.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oskier View Post
Welcome to bad boy mowers where your pain is our gain, thank you for your contributions.
Im starting to believe that!..... Its a real shame, they say they will call you back, they never do, and I was told they will come look at it in 4 weeks.... what a joke, Im in NC, not hong kong.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Dealers suck around here
Posted via Mobile Device
Closed Thread