Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fier23 View Post
My lightning is still going strong(knock on wood). It must be the AOS platform. I haven't heard anything bad about the 35hp cat but with the standard gas AOS and 28hp cat I've heard numerous complaints. It's too bad cause those cat machines are a beast.
Posted via Mobile Device
The 28 hp Cat causes a great deal more vibration than the four cylinder 35 Cat. This in itself will cause problems, anyone is far ahead in the game to buy the 35 Cat. There is really no comparison, the 35 is in a league of its own compared to the rattling three cylinder 28 in every respect.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Wow I'm glad I went with a name brand, not that it couldn't happen with a Toro but much less likely I would think.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
I'm like you, I have a Lightning, and as heavily as they're built, it's hard to believe that the frames could fail. I think that all but one of the few frame problems I have heard of have been on the 28 Cat, and they do seem to vibrate more than any of the other engines used by BB.

I remember someone bringing up the frames on Lightnings and I thought
" man you apparently have never seen a frame on a Lightning or AOS in person or you wouldn't be questioning how heavy they are".

I put mine in the shop for the first time last Monday because I too had an idler pulley that was out of alignment and it would occasionally throw the belt.
That issue and the fact that it came from the factory with an EXTREMELY lean air/fuel mixture have been my only problems (knock on wood). It's now out of warranty so I'm hoping my luck holds out.

In the end, machines are machines and you're going to run into a problem here and there no matter what name it carries or how much you paid for it.

So far, in my case, I'm happy with what I got for the money I spent. It's going to be interesting to see how BB does in the long run, and who will be saying "I told you so" to the question of whether or not they turn out to be a good value in the long run.

When it comes to buying equipment it's a crap shoot. WE ALL PAYS OUR MONEY AND WE ROLLS THE DICE!!!!!! :-)
Yes this is true. However, I think it is better explained in horse racing terms than craps.

You can put your money on the longshot, and most likely loose it all. Or you can put it on one of the favorites with a past proven track record. You will put a little more money upfront, but your odds of a winner are much greater.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

70 miles to visit your dealer is a L o n g W a y !
Old 08-15-2011, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyFarmLandscaping View Post
Yes this is true. However, I think it is better explained in horse racing terms than craps.

You can put your money on the longshot, and most likely loose it all. Or you can put it on one of the favorites with a past proven track record. You will put a little more money upfront, but your odds of a winner are much greater.
I understand your position. I guess where my opinion is different from yours is that I don't call a piece of eqp that uses the same identical quality components (other than the frame and deck) as the names brands use, a "long shot".
To each his own tho, I have no desire to have a pissing contest.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know too much about Bad Boy as I'm a Scag user. I've never owned a diesel mower but used a Turf Tiger demo with the 28 Cat while one of my Scags was in the shop. I didn't notice any unusual vibrations coming from the 28 Cat.
It actually ran quite well and had good torque. I have no plans to buy a diesel mower but this mower was really nice. The vibration you're experiencing could be coming from the mower and have nothing to do with the Cat. If you're having frame and bearing failures this early, I would question the overall quality of the BB. Maybe they cut too much to keep prices down.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I understand your position. I guess where my opinion is different from yours is that I don't call a piece of eqp that uses the same identical quality components (other than the frame and deck) as the names brands use, a "long shot".
Sorry, this was supposed to be followed by a but for some reason it wasn't. Didn't want that to come across wrong!
Old 08-16-2011, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Well I understand your position based on your experience. I have had great luck with Scag Turf Tigers over the past 14 years with very few problems. Running 600 to 800 hours per year. (This year being an exception with the terrible drought.) I sell them around 2000 hours and get back a nice return.

I tried an Outlaw last year in an effort to save a little money. It was in the shop most of the season. It was a good year with adequate rainfall. We managed to get 300 hours on it before the frame cracked, and that was enough for me. This was with great dealer support from Retrodog. I would hate to see what it would have been like from a crappy dealer. I was fortunate that my Scag dealer gave me a good trade in for it.

Hopefully Badboy will get it together. It's nice to see small companies that focus on the customer rather than the share holders. However, it seems Badboy is more focused on advertising than product quality. I do prefer to try to give small companies a try because they usually are more customer focused at a cheaper price. I bought a Ybravo mower because of this, and have been very impressed with the product, the customer service, and I have a good dealer to support it.

The Turf Tiger is a proven design since 1998. We will just have to see where Bad Boy stands years from now to see how it compares. I'm just stating the facts of my experience. Another thing to consider is that some other models of Bad Boy mowers may have a better history. However, the Outlaw is the only model with comparative hillside capabilities as the TT. So I have no experience with models other than the Outlaw.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My lightning is still going strong out of my third season. Have had to replace main pulley spring, tach gauge (broken on day 1) and all of these were covered quickly by the factory for free. I threw the belt once early this season but it never repeated???

I have heard others having problems with the AOS also a few years ago. My previous mower was a scag tiger cub (2006) that was destroyed at the beginning of my third season.
THREAD discussing the CUB fire HERE
CUB Disassembly photos: HERE
THREAD CUB Disassembly HERE
Old 08-16-2011, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyFarmLandscaping View Post
Well I understand your position based on your experience. I have had great luck with Scag Turf Tigers over the past 14 years with very few problems. Running 600 to 800 hours per year. (This year being an exception with the terrible drought.) I sell them around 2000 hours and get back a nice return.

I tried an Outlaw last year in an effort to save a little money. It was in the shop most of the season. It was a good year with adequate rainfall. We managed to get 300 hours on it before the frame cracked, and that was enough for me. This was with great dealer support from Retrodog. I would hate to see what it would have been like from a crappy dealer. I was fortunate that my Scag dealer gave me a good trade in for it.

Hopefully Badboy will get it together. It's nice to see small companies that focus on the customer rather than the share holders. However, it seems Badboy is more focused on advertising than product quality. I do prefer to try to give small companies a try because they usually are more customer focused at a cheaper price. I bought a Ybravo mower because of this, and have been very impressed with the product, the customer service, and I have a good dealer to support it.

The Turf Tiger is a proven design since 1998. We will just have to see where Bad Boy stands years from now to see how it compares. I'm just stating the facts of my experience. Another thing to consider is that some other models of Bad Boy mowers may have a better history. However, the Outlaw is the only model with comparative hillside capabilities as the TT. So I have no experience with models other than the Outlaw.
I understand completely, and I'm sure that if I was in the same situation with the experience you had, I'd do something similar.

You know, it's funny because sometimes we think that people's opinions are so much different than ours, when in reality, if we had lived the other person's life, and had their experience, we might do the exact same thing, and have the exact same opinions. It just boils down to a persons history and experience.....good or bad.
Closed Thread