Register free!

Old 06-11-2011, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlwn1 View Post
I haven't seen a pic yet where applicator error was not a HUGE part of the problem.
Would you mind pointing out all these HUGE applicator errors that are causing the damage. I guess just looking at a pic on the internet they aren't obvious to me.
How long have you been doing this and how much pesticide damage have you seen in your time in the industry?

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Greenery; 06-11-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've been doing this for a while...lol Look at the pics. Improper app. 1st of all...you don't blanket spray weed control under pines and spruces (as well as many others)..Each one of those pics shows exactly THAT....you spot spray where needed. Improper product selection... Secondly...I don't see any new seed growing where it was sprayed, so why was imprellis be used to begin with? Finally...you don't ever spray anything on or under anything that is under stress..especially when planted above grade with a mulch volcano.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I've been doing this for a while...lol Look at the pics. Improper app. 1st of all...you don't blanket spray weed control under pines and spruces (as well as many others)..Each one of those pics shows exactly THAT....you spot spray where needed. Improper product selection... Secondly...I don't see any new seed growing where it was sprayed, so why was imprellis be used to begin with? Finally...you don't ever spray anything on or under anything that is under stress..especially when planted above grade with a mulch volcano.
How do you know it was blanket sprayed under the trees?
Old 06-11-2011, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelyGuy View Post
DA, why are you such a fanboy for imprelis? There is obviously major problems here. Dupont has just made a lot of applicators look careless.
Posted via Mobile Device
Because he has a relative that works for Dupont.

And we sure do have a lot of pros on this site, being able to look at a couple of pictures and being able to declare that it was applicator error

Old 06-12-2011, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasontimm View Post
Because he has a relative that works for Dupont.

And we sure do have a lot of pros on this site, being able to look at a couple of pictures and being able to declare that it was applicator error
And found a way to get it discounted greartly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-12-2011, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABBITMAN11 View Post
I may very well be that it was not sprayed under the trees... Rather herbicide run off from the slope...Because on a yard that i have damage its run off from a hill. We never sprayed under or near the Norways or White pines
These are quotes from the Imprelis label:

"This product is classified as having high potential for reaching surface water via runoff for several months after application."
"Runoff of this product will be reduced by avoiding applications
when rainfall is forecasted to occur within 48 hours."

I looks like if you applied Imprelis and it rained 48 hours after applying, and stayed away from the trees, you could still get damage.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by garydale View Post
Are the Pines in the last picture Austrian?(Pinus nigra)
I don't believe that pine has been show with damage before.
true, there are no reports of it and i have plenty of them next to white pines that are doing fine while the whites are hurting. looks like blight finally cought up with those austrians, or nematodes
Old 06-12-2011, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Really!! pretty lame ideas there. we spray under pines all the time and have no labels telling us not to. never an issue. in fact, i have never had any issue with any herbicide unless drift got on say a flower or something like that. never a tree, yet alone like this damage. water amounts and soil have everthing to do with the amount of damage being seen.

oh, and it is not designed JUST for seeding, it has been marketed on this site even as the cure all weed control for all areas and ocasions. the label says nothing to the contrary either, i have read it about 10 times.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Subject: Imprelis - Ohio State

fyi, imprelis...today's Buckeye Yard & Garden Line

BUCKEYE YARD AND GARDEN LINE 2011-10

06/09/11

A. NORWAY SPRUCE AND WHITE PINE PROBLEMS. Numerous calls came in to Extension offices throughout Ohio in the past week from landscapes, commercial plantings, and golf courses concerning issues with Norway spruces as well as white pines. The symptoms on Norway spruce include significant needle twisting and browning, terminal curling and drooping on new growth, and in some cases needle browning and twisting on older growth. These symptoms are different from earlier Norway spruce symptoms this spring (total or sectional dieback) presumed to be associated with weather conditions over a number of months.

There are a number of unanswered questions relative to this new damage as to: why there is such variability of injury, the potential for the plants to recover, the range of host plants that are affected, whether or not environmental conditions this spring or last fall contributed to the problem, etc. From what OSUE BYGLers have seen, a common denominator of this particular damage on these samples appears to be an association with turfgrass applications of the herbicide Imprelis.

This post-emergent, low-volume broadleaf herbicide from DuPont is a highly effective product that is being used by applicators for the first time in the field this year. It is a new subclass of pyrimidine carboxylic acid herbicide, named aminocyclopyrachlor. From the samples sent to Extension offices and labs and subsequent field visits to look at symptoms, this looks to be a significant problem with, as noted, many unanswered questions. Research and trials on the use of this chemical for turf care has been extensive, but widespread field use and experience is in early stages.

Damage noted this past week during field visits and from reports of damage from e-mails, phone calls, and images indicate variable damage of affected plants in group plantings. At one site, there was significant browning and distortion on over 10% of the Norway spruces planted on a large mound. Some effects were obvious on over half of these spruces, and on some spruces, over 50% of the foliage had browned as of the time of observation. BYGL writers will update readers and others as more is learned. In addition, OSUE staff will monitor certain sites to get a handle on plant recovery, make new site visits to the extent needed and possible, update a list of hosts where problems have been noted, and will forward additional information from other sources as obtained.

Please note that the Ohio State University C. Wayne Ellett Plant and Pest Diagnostic Clinic (CWEPPDC) can evaluate samples for evidence of disease and insect damage, but do not do chemical residue testing.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

In what kind if soils are you guys seeing this damage? I've seen several pictures of the trees being planted on hills. Any Flatland damage?

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by pieperlc; 06-12-2011 at 10:24 AM.