Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Magna-Matic
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Magna-Matic Lawn Mower Blade Balancers, Sharpeners, and more

Old 06-01-2011, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Got the balancer, now the 9000!

Been wanting the MM setup for awhile. Went 50 miles to look at another LCO's 9000(thanks, Lagniappe). So, I found a balancer on eBay for 107.50 and it was the best thing I've ever done for my Hustler Z! Took all the vibration out of the deck and I couldn't believe the change in sound and cut. My Grasshopper didn't have any vibration issues(that were noticeable), but my helper noticed the difference in cutting Bahia right off. It'll cut it at a faster speed than before. So, I ordered the 9000 today from McHenry Power in Ill. (they've been great to work with for blades, filters, clutches,etc), can't wait for it to come in!!!
2005 Grasshopper 225 52" 25 hp Kohler
Stihl FS90R(3)
Stihl FS130R
Stihl FS80R
Stihl FC95(2)
Stihl KM90
Stihl KM110
Stihl 029
Stihl 015
Echo 230
Shindaiwa AHS 242
Shindaiwa LE 242
Redmax CHTZ2401
Redmax BCZ2401
Stihl BR 550
Stihl BR600 Magnum(2)
Husquvarna 225B
Old 06-02-2011, 02:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I just got my balancer and my 9000 today in the mail. Can't wait to use it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Sponsor

Hello All,

Feel free to call if you have any questions with any set-up or first use.

Thank you,

Magna-Matic Corporation
Waldo WI USA
800-328-1110 (toll free USA & Canda)
920-564-2366 (PHONE)
gbauer2@magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic-direct.com
www.youtube.com/magnamaticcorp
Old 06-02-2011, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magna-Matic View Post
Hello All,

Feel free to call if you have any questions with any set-up or first use.

Thank you,
Will do, thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-08-2011, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Came in today, went out to the shop @ 9 and set it up. Sharpened two sets of blades(appalled at how badly I had missed 30 degrees), balanced them and came on in. I may sent the crew out tomorrow and sharpen 40 blades or so :) It really is a joy to use MM equipment, thanks for building a quality product.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-08-2011, 01:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It works good but I'm not really impressed. I still prefer the factory milled edge you get with new blades. The mm edge seems to thin at the tip and blunts out quick. The factory cut seems to be greater then 30 and seems to stay sharper longer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-08-2011, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Services View Post
It works good but I'm not really impressed. I still prefer the factory milled edge you get with new blades. The mm edge seems to thin at the tip and blunts out quick. The factory cut seems to be greater then 30 and seems to stay sharper longer.
Posted via Mobile Device
You can change your angle for greater or less than 30 degrees, the thinning at the tip just takes a little practice to avoid. I went to another LCO's and used his, he showed me how to come across the wheel in a 1 o'clock to 7 o'clock pass; just feather your pressure at the end. Call MM and talk to them, I know he did when his came in. Good luck.
P.S. Did you get the balancer?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-08-2011, 11:12 AM
Sponsor

Hello P.Services,

Just a couple points to make:

As LaLawn Guy mentioned if you prefer a steeper angle that can be set to make (for example) a 35 degree angle the set angle for your MAG-9000. We list how to do it in the manual, but if you would like help please call me and I can go through how to set your machine up to the angle you like best.

Please remember 30 degrees is the industry average, there are some manufacturers that go to 35 or even 40 degrees, and if that is what you are used to - as mentioned above - it is no problem for the MAG-9000 to cut the angle you desire.

Second the milled edge versus ground edge. Milled edges are cut on the blade before it has been formed (lifts/holes stamped) and tempered (hardened), so they can run the CNC mill across the blade while it is flat soft stock, with no care if it will burn.

Grinding is the choice for re-sharpening because heat can be controlled and still remove steel quickly. Grinding machines are siginifcantly less expensive than milling machines. Milling machines are very slow due to part set-up and cycle times when dealing with hardened materials.

There has been no data that we have collected or found that the ground edge versus the milled edge is any longer lasting - the "hollow ground finish" that is created by any circular cutting tool (grinding wheel in this case) does not cause any positive or negative situation.

So feel free to call for to discuss your application and needs.

Thank you,

Magna-Matic Corporation
Waldo WI USA
920-564-2366 (PHONE)
gbauer2@magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic.com
Old 06-11-2011, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think mine might be broken. I was grinding away nice and smooth and then I felt a lot of vibration getting transferred up into my hands. Then everything on the counter started to vibrate and make noise, then the machine its self got a lot louder and makes noise. As I shut it off I look at the gap between the rest and the wheel and I can see something is not true because it goes wide,skinny,wide,skinny the slower it spins the easier it is to see but when its spinning full speed you can't see it. I took the wheel off and turned the motor on real quick and it seems to run fine but again as it slows it looks like the shaft is spinning in a oblong pattern. Put the wheel back on same thing. One small divot is missing in the wheel but other than that it looks fine. Right now it vibrates enough that you can't hold the blade to it, it just chatters and bounces off of it.

Does this sound like the wheel or a bearing in the motor?

(Now that I've looked inside the machine it is really well built, no cheap reencedink b.s)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-16-2011, 11:33 AM
Sponsor

Hello P.Services,

I'll give you a call today, it sounds like something may have been damaged in shipping. We'll diagnose and find the problem or get you a replacment.

Thank you,

Magna-Matic Corporation
Waldo WI USA
920-564-2366 (PHONE)
gbauer2@magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic.com