Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-15-2011, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Kawasaki Won't crank/turn over when hot...starter??

Hi,
I am having some starting issues with the 19 hp Kawasaki FH601V on my Gravely ztr. When the engine is cool it will crank and start without any sign of hesitation weakness. The problem is that about 1/3rd of the time when the engine is hot it will refuse to turn over and all I get when I turn the key is a clicking noise.
Thus far I have
1. Checked the battery, it is good with 12.8 volts(14volts when running)
2. Cleaned the terminals
3. Checked the voltage where it ENTERS the solenoid, 12.5 v.(This test was done while the engine was hot and the issue was occurring)
4. Spun the engine by hand while engaging the starter. This got it spinning enough to start cranking on its own.(This test was also done while the engine was hot and the issue was occurring)

It started having this issue this week and it puzzles me that it only occurs about 1/3rd of the time I try to start it when it is hot. I have NOT yet tested the voltage going from the solenoid to the starter(Is it still DC volts as it enters the starter??? I'm no expert with electric and I just don't want to blow another voltage tester by putting it on the wrong setting....)

I suppose another possibility is that it's somehow getting hydro locked? I can still turn it by hand, but it does have a little more resistance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 04-15-2011, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

usually it's the starter, the bushing holder in those starters are plastic and get to sticking if ever overheated by using the starter for long intervals like when it's flooded or whatnot. or trying to start on aweak battery. another thing i've seen is the gear that twists up the starter to engage to th flywheel sometimes starts sticking, even after the engine starts it will sometimes stay up engaged to the flywheel. that can cause the bearings in the starter to overheat and would be intermitent. try spraying the shaft on the starter that "twists" the starter gear up with some type of silicon lube, but try not to get it on the rubber plat that grips the gear.

28 Maintenance Crews, 3 Landscaping Crews, 3 Irigation Crews, 6 Turf Crews, 3 Maintenance Enhancment Crews, 2 Hardscapes Crews

70 Wright Stander 52"
12 Wright Stander 36"
9 Wright ZK 61"
18 Encore Rage 52" Stand On Mower
400+ pieces of RedMax Equipment
150+ pieces of Kawasaki Power Equipment
350+ pieces of Husqvarna Handheld Equipment
.....A constant barrage of broken machines!!
Old 04-19-2011, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply Ricky. I'll try lubricating it and see if that helps... Just two questions 1.If I'm getting 12.5v where it meets the solenoid does that completely rule out weak wire connections? 2.Is it possible that the solenoid is the weak link? If so can I check it with the DC setting on a voltage tester?
Old 04-19-2011, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

disconnect from the starter and see if it has any voltage drop from one side of the solenoid and the other. sometimes they get moisture inside and get a bad contact if not at all.

28 Maintenance Crews, 3 Landscaping Crews, 3 Irigation Crews, 6 Turf Crews, 3 Maintenance Enhancment Crews, 2 Hardscapes Crews

70 Wright Stander 52"
12 Wright Stander 36"
9 Wright ZK 61"
Old 04-19-2011, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Will do, thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2011, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Member

The issue occurred again today after being problem-free for about 3 weeks. I unhooked the starter from the solenoid and measured the voltage on both terminals of the solenoid. The from-battery terminal was 12.4V, but the to-starter terminal, with the key turned to the start position, was measuring only 9.58V.

So with these results can I be pretty sure it's just the solenoid?

It started up a few mins later btw...
Old 05-04-2011, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yes it sounds like the solenoid. does it have 3 or 4 terminals? the 3 terminal type is grounded by the bolts holding the solenoid to the frame, the 4 terminal has a terminal for the ground, check the grounds on what you have to be sure those wires are not getting weak connections.

70 Wright Stander 52"
12 Wright Stander 36"
9 Wright ZK 61"
Old 05-05-2011, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Member

It's a 3 terminal and all the bolts seem secure so I'm going to order a new one tomorrow.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjflorida711 View Post
It's a 3 terminal and all the bolts seem secure so I'm going to order a new one tomorrow.
check all the Ground wires also before getting the new solenoid, it can be at the battery that would cause the same thing. if the ends are comming lose or corroded.

70 Wright Stander 52"
12 Wright Stander 36"
9 Wright ZK 61"
Old 05-24-2011, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Member

The new solenoid just came in. I installed it and unfortunately I'm still getting the exact same issue. 12.70v at the from battery terminal on the solenoid and only 9.3v going to the starter, single click noise when I attempt to start. All the connections and grounds are in good shape, I even cleaned them up to be sure... I'm really lost now, the only explanation I can think of is that they might have sent me a bad solenoid...