Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-14-2002, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Scott's fertilizer,,,oh crap!

Anybody feel Scott's fertilizer is worth crap! I mean, It works, but I save so much buying something that has NO name brand, what wonderful stuf that white and brown bag contains!!!
Old 10-14-2002, 01:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I here you . I can go to one of my local landscape yards and get fert for $10 - $20 a bag that covers 10,000 in a variety of flavors . I dont need to spend $25 or more a bag for name brand stuff when off brands will do . most are manufacuterd by the same fert companys and then baged for whoever
Old 10-14-2002, 05:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Lightbulb Its not all the same......

SUPPOSEDLY (don't quote me ont this) there are different qualities of ingredients that go into all these. Before there was a Lesco in my area, I bought the Scotts 4 step program off of a golf course maintenance supplier and the prices weren't really that bad unless you compared them to like "K-gro" the K-Mart label or something along those lines. I guess they just built their trust in a market and people will pay for that. I never had problems with it, and my customers never had a problem paying for the results, so I stuck with a good thing.

I look at it like this. We ***** when customers of ours price shop on us, and would drop us if they could save $5 a month. How much of a hypocrit would I be if I did the same when buying from a supplier or parts store, etc.

My parts store was much higher priced then the larger ones around, but they always took great care of me, I had a 24 hour response number, I always got loaner equipment if mine needed to go into the shop for more than a day, etc. The extra money was well worth the benefits.
Old 10-14-2002, 05:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lescos starter fert is less than $10 for a 50 lb bag. How much cheaper do you want it? Assuming you have a Lesco near you of course.
Old 10-14-2002, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

tony I do have a lesco not far from me only have bought parts from them for my spreaders and spayer and they thought that stuff was made of gold so I never really looked into buying fert from them what are some of the prices you are paying for bags of fert in your area
Old 10-14-2002, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Member

My question is if Scott's fert is so good why do thier lawn technicians use Lescos fert.
Old 10-14-2002, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have heard that before here but I have never seen a Scott's tech using Lesco products. I am not saying you are wrong I just have not seen it. I only see them using Scott's products around me.

Gravely_Man
Old 10-14-2002, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Member

BUYING FERT.

When purchasing fert. do not compare the price per bag. What you are buying is feeding days. not all fert. are even close in comparison. The most important consideration is the soure of N or nitrogen. The lesser priced bags will contain much higher amounts of quick release nitrogen. Causes quick growth that at times are uncontrollable. The best fert. will contain higher amounts of slow release nitrogen that are coated with sulfur and sealed with a sealer.
The difference is like getting a bottle of vitamins and taking the whole bottle at once or taking one a day.
Old 10-14-2002, 05:03 PM
Banned

this has been answered like 700 times this month.
scotts does not produce a commercial line anymore, it's handled by andersons. any scu that andersons uses is most likely a lesco product ( the biggest producer of scu )
homeowner blends of scotts product are great and you get what you pay for. look at the product make up, types of "n" amount of water isoluable "n". etc etc.. as far as starter fert being less than $10 bag, ya that price seems good, but you already faked yourself out.. look at how much a 50# bag covers then look at bag of 33/5/10 40% scu at $8 a bag. quick release products can be used effectivly when applied properly.. i think of any coated product as a safe guard against untrained applicators.
for you guy's without a lesco center or an elevator around, i suggest looking at an article that wa in lawn & landscape i belive, it was called " lawncare in nowhere " see how this company over comes these hurdles
Old 10-15-2002, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm lucky enough to have a fertilizer producer in the next town.

They make literally dozens of formulations at your request.
Cheapest all mineral stuff is $5.75 for 50 lbs. High sulfur coated products can be $8.75. 50 lbs of Pre-m or Team is $10 a bag.

They sell Shaw's as a commercial line with pesticides.

I was told that the difference in cost has to do primarily with the bag! Those string tied bags are more expensive than what I get.

Luckily, mine have nice looking exteriors. Seems customers get upset when they see brown paper.