Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-04-2011, 09:22 AM
Ric's Avatar
Ric Ric is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: S W Florida
Posts: 10,970
Cribbean Crazy Ants -- Rasberry Ants in Texas

Yo

I had my first call for Caribbean Crazy Ants, OMG. They are only 1/8 inch at most but it is like seeing a horror movie. They just keep marching over the property like a blanket. But this place is the right environment for the Ants and not the humans. The area is called Horse Creek and it is thick with brush and bog land when it isn't flooded. Florida cattle men are called Cow Hunters instead of Cowboys because of rounding up cows from areas like this. They have to hunt for their cows. Why people want to live in a swamp or Bog is be on me but they build their house on stilts. Full disclosure here, I can't get rid of them. About the best I can do is put a barrier around the house and hope to keep them at bay.

I looking for any advice or experience or dealing with Caribbean Crazy Ants. Chasing down Ant Trails to find nest is not a real opposition here because they have multi nests and Multi Queens. But add in the heavy wooded envirnoment and there is no way to track Ant trails. My thinking is to let the fool with the 600 PSI fire hose soak the place down with Talstar.

Horse Creek area is never going to control Caribbean Crazy Ants until the land is cleared or at least day lighted. A few years ago we had an out break of White Foot Ants. But we got them under control in the city because of developed land and co-operation of all the residents to perform pest control.
__________________
.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-04-2011, 12:11 PM
olive123 olive123 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: ft lauderdale, Fl
Posts: 497
termidor. Treat properly, use a new backpack (no repellency) you will get good control in time. They are bad in areas here. I have taken care of a few properties. Way worse than white footed but workable.
If you decide to just blanket with the lawn rig than my suggestion is to use demand. WAY better than talstar. Gotta love that microencapsulation!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-04-2011, 02:42 PM
zturncutter's Avatar
zturncutter zturncutter is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Interior South Florida
Posts: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Yo

I had my first call for Caribbean Crazy Ants, OMG. They are only 1/8 inch at most but it is like seeing a horror movie. They just keep marching over the property like a blanket. But this place is the right environment for the Ants and not the humans. The area is called Horse Creek and it is thick with brush and bog land when it isn't flooded. Florida cattle men are called Cow Hunters instead of Cowboys because of rounding up cows from areas like this. They have to hunt for their cows. Why people want to live in a swamp or Bog is be on me but they build their house on stilts. Full disclosure here, I can't get rid of them. About the best I can do is put a barrier around the house and hope to keep them at bay.

I looking for any advice or experience or dealing with Caribbean Crazy Ants. Chasing down Ant Trails to find nest is not a real opposition here because they have multi nests and Multi Queens. But add in the heavy wooded envirnoment and there is no way to track Ant trails. My thinking is to let the fool with the 600 PSI fire hose soak the place down with Talstar.

Horse Creek area is never going to control Caribbean Crazy Ants until the land is cleared or at least day lighted. A few years ago we had an out break of White Foot Ants. But we got them under control in the city because of developed land and co-operation of all the residents to perform pest control.
This wouldn't be John Georges property would it ?
__________________
ZTurnCutter
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Ric's Avatar
Ric Ric is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: S W Florida
Posts: 10,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
This wouldn't be John Georges property would it ?
Zturn

No the guys first name is Patrick. The Property is two acres and has a Stilt house, a 40 Ft Motor Home and a 20 ft park trailer with families living in each. I know I drove past your house on the way there, I am just not sure exactly where you are other than across the Hwy from Joel.

I been working Split Days because IMHO it has been hotter than normal this year. I went to Horse Creek on Thursday after 5:00 PM. Since you know the area and like me wouldn't want to live there. Then you can understand why controlling These ants is never going happen with out an Act of God or a nuclear bomb. There is just too much under brush for them to nest in. The customer has been using Talstar on the Piling and Cement slab under the house. It is hard to Believe how many dead Ants are piled up. We thought White Foot Ants were bad, but these are 10 time MORE Ants.

Procol calls for Termidor around the Perimeter and Liquid Ant Baits around the house to keep them out. But with all the ant favorable nesting environment I felt I had to Fire Hose as much area as possible around the house.

If I could find a good suppression method for these Ants, I am sure I could get a lot of business in that area. But unlike the city, this is wild area and these people are basically Camping out in the wilderness.
__________________
.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-04-2011, 03:33 PM
zturncutter's Avatar
zturncutter zturncutter is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Interior South Florida
Posts: 1,214
After you go by my place and go down the hill you are in swampland for sure, probably 25 or so feet lower elevation by the creek. The guy I am talking about is at the end of Albritton street about a mile further out Kings Highway and yes his property runs along a section of Horse creek. He has been in the paper several times and I believe researchers from UF have been out there. At times they cover his house, unreal.
__________________
ZTurnCutter

Last edited by zturncutter; 06-04-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-04-2011, 03:46 PM
Ric's Avatar
Ric Ric is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: S W Florida
Posts: 10,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
After you go my place and go down the hill you are in swampland for sure, probably 25 or so feet lower elevation by the creek. The guy I am talking about is at the end of Albritton street about a mile further out Kings Highway and yes his property runs along a section of Horse creek. He has been in the paper several times and I believe researchers from UF have been out there. At times they cover his house, unreal.
Zturn

Yes I know you are high and dry as is Joel. I am looking at the Map and 769 runs due North South in your area. Joel is to the East of you and the Research center is West of you?? The Albritton name could be the States Name because that Family has been in Florida since day one. Hopefully you have enough cleared land between you and Horse Creek to keep the Caribbean Crazy Ants away from you.
__________________
.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-04-2011, 04:09 PM
zturncutter's Avatar
zturncutter zturncutter is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Interior South Florida
Posts: 1,214
Here is one story on his place, he is close to the creek maybe 500'. http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/news...der_rasbe.html
__________________
ZTurnCutter
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-04-2011, 07:41 PM
Ric's Avatar
Ric Ric is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: S W Florida
Posts: 10,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
Here is one story on his place, he is close to the creek maybe 500'. http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/news...der_rasbe.html
Zturn

Great link that not only backs up what I said, but explains the Caribbean/Rasberry Crazy Ants even better. I have known about the Crazy Ants in the Horse Creek area for a few years now, but this is my first experience of actually seeing them.
__________________
.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-06-2011, 08:57 AM
Ric's Avatar
Ric Ric is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: S W Florida
Posts: 10,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
After you go by my place and go down the hill you are in swampland for sure, probably 25 or so feet lower elevation by the creek. The guy I am talking about is at the end of Albritton street about a mile further out Kings Highway and yes his property runs along a section of Horse creek. He has been in the paper several times and I believe researchers from UF have been out there. At times they cover his house, unreal.
Zturn

You are North of Hwy 760 and Horse Creek crosses Hwy 769 South of Hwy 760. So if I am traveling south going back to the coast. I would pass your house then hwy 760 then down the hill about a mile to Horse Creek, CORRECT????????????????? Is that land just south of the river JOHNSON Property???????
__________________
.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Ric's Avatar
Ric Ric is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: S W Florida
Posts: 10,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Zturn

You are North of Hwy 760 and Horse Creek crosses Hwy 769 South of Hwy 760. So if I am traveling south going back to the coast. I would pass your house then hwy 760 then down the hill about a mile to Horse Creek, CORRECT????????????????? Is that land just south of the river JOHNSON Property???????
Z Turn

MY BAD

I just did a Map Quest for Albritton street and realize I wasn't understanding your Direction. Your guy is on Horse Creek North of where it crosses Hwy 769 and much closer to Hwy 70. The Dip in Hwy 769 where it crosses Horse Creek seems a lot lower than 25 feet to me.

That area has a lot of very good high and dry land with a lot of Citrus groves. But between the Peace River and Horse Creek there is a lot of bad land also which accounts for the lack of control methods on the Crazy Ants. Yesterday I tried to make it by boat from my house to Hwy 760. According to my GPS I made it about 2 miles north of the old phosphate Rail Road Bridge before running a ground. I am going to take a push pole with me next time because I am told after that short section the river gets deeper. Years ago before GPS I wouldn't try that trip because people have been known to get very lost in that river system.
__________________
.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:49 AM.

Page generated in 0.12108 seconds with 8 queries