Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-22-2011, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Member

ICT Organics program

I just picked up a new client that we will be mowing for this year and doing several landscape projects, one of which is installing about 5k square feet of new lawn. There is already about 5k of existing turf. I want to sell them on an organic fertilization and weed control program.

I am currently offering a similar service to two accounts. I am using Green Guardian from Farm Crop Extracts. I was very pleased with the weed control aspect of this product but have seen relatively lackluster performance as far as fertilization. The lawns don't have the deep green look I was expecting. Another downside is the high cost. It makes it very difficult to sell such a program to the average homeowner.

I have done some reading on the ICT program and was hoping to get some feedback from folks who have used it before. They market it as a stand alone program with a weed control component and monthly applications and a recommendation for compost at least once per year.

How has this program worked for others? Are there tricks I should now about starting it? For what its worth, the lawn is not currently on a chemical regiment so I would be starting from scratch.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I've got 5 gallons of Green Guardian I'd be happy to sell. PM me if you're interested. I ordered it and haven't/don't plan on using it.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

an aggressive seeding program is always needed when implementing an organic program, weeds do not grow well in a nice stand of turf

Yes we always suggest applications of organic matter, especially in the fall

here are the basics

If crab grass is your nemesis apply Gluten-8 when the soil temps are moving from 60 to 65, in the mid Atlantic it happened last week or maybe 2 weeks ago

Our tea is typically applied every 4 to 6 weeks, it can be applied in the heat of the day with no issues

Essential-1 is a foliar or perimeter spray for ticks, fleas, mosquitoes, etc. best applied with a backpack blower sprayer or fine herbicide tip for spray rigs

NPP Foliar is an excellent fungicide and very benign to people it is a form of glucosamine, brown patch, dollar spot, Pythium, etc

1-2-3 Tree is used for transplanting or maintenance on perennials, shrubs and tree that prefer a fungally dominant soil

1-2-3 Hydroseed is for inoculating seed with beneficial, it replaces fertilizer in hydroseed applications

CedarCure is a replacement for chemicals for grub control and 1/4 of the price
Old 05-23-2011, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Member

My lawn was done using PHC Healthly Start 3-4-3 at planting and PHC Healthly Turf 8-1-9 every 5 to 6 weeks following. I also have heavy clay soil so I aerate every fall and apply the 3-4-3 and overseed at that time. My lawn is a deep green and very thick. Weeds haven't been much of a problem because I mow high and the grass is very thick.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Weed problems are generally of the broad-leaf kind - clover, hawk-weed, dandelions, plantain - so I think I'll start with the GG apps like I have in the past. It seems to work but I'll keep the Gluten-8 in mind if crab grass becomes an issue.

As for the tea applications, what type of nutrients am I adding to the soil. I'm used to seeing the numbers, NPK! I realize that I'm introducing nutrients, both macro and micro with compost in the spring and/or fall but what does the tea add during the growing season? Should I or can I supplement with a granular organic fertilizer for some of the monthly applications?

As for the other product you mentioned, I will keep those in mind if I run into insect or fungi problems.

Has anyone not associated with the manufacturer used the product in the trade and care to share their experiences (nothing personal Bill)?

Also, I see that the 123 tea comes in three different bottles. How does the application work?
Old 05-24-2011, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland View Post
Weed problems are generally of the broad-leaf kind - clover, hawk-weed, dandelions, plantain - so I think I'll start with the GG apps like I have in the past. It seems to work but I'll keep the Gluten-8 in mind if crab grass becomes an issue.

As for the tea applications, what type of nutrients am I adding to the soil. I'm used to seeing the numbers, NPK! I realize that I'm introducing nutrients, both macro and micro with compost in the spring and/or fall but what does the tea add during the growing season? Should I or can I supplement with a granular organic fertilizer for some of the monthly applications?

As for the other product you mentioned, I will keep those in mind if I run into insect or fungi problems.

Has anyone not associated with the manufacturer used the product in the trade and care to share their experiences (nothing personal Bill)?

Also, I see that the 123 tea comes in three different bottles. How does the application work?
the tea is a 3 part mix packaged in a carton
1. dechlorinate the water
2. add the beneficial microorganisms
3. add microbe food, it is a ferment of kelp, fish, humate molasses and 8 micronutrients

once the dormant and spore form beneficial microorganisms hit the water and are covered in food they wake up and begin to make their associations with the plant. The micro-nutrients will feed the turf foliarly, you will see a nice green up about 4 or 5 days later which last 3 or 4 weeks
Old 06-03-2011, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Existing Weeds

So, if I've got an existing weed problem, given that we're into June now, I guess a good overseeding should wait until fall?
I'm using some castings tea on the turf, now, and have had pretty good success with getting the lawn to respond. Now I just need to get a handle on the weed populations in the turf.
Is it possible to get the lawn to thicken up and choke out the weeds without resorting to herbicides? This is my first site that I've taken over with such and existing weed problem, since I've been offering full organic turf programs for the past couple of years. The main weed is clover.

Any thoughts?