Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-07-2011, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Wind energy is wiping out the golden eagle. They were doing just fine in an oil based economy.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-turbines.html
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-07-2011, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have come to that point in life where there are some things I just accept, because the amount of unity and overall impact of action that it would take to counter these things is simply unrealistic. Gas prices, taxes, health care are at the forefront. It would take complete and utter economic shutdown across the board in order for individuals to make a statement to oil companies. Basically, no one going to work, no one buying groceries, everyone staying at home and becoming hermits for however long a period of time it takes. It's just one of those things that won't and can't happen. Our politicians are ridiculously full of it, they will grandstand about gas prices and alternative energy, but repubs and dems alike are all firmly entrenched in the pockets of these large oil companies and would only hurt themselves with swift action. Secondly, what swift action could be taken? Government doesn't have any legal power to control what corporations charge in a free capitalist society. Capitalism is a big game we all signed up for, it's not big oil's fault that they are winning handily and dictate a resource that has a stranglehold on all of us.

If alternative energy is realistic than those of us that want to b*tch and moan should be at the forefront trying to figure out a long term solution. What I find most alarming and least discussed is, the largest players in the alternative energy research and technology game is BIG OIL. They are the ones trying to beat everyone to the punch and corner that market as well. Their long term survival could hinge on it, yet instead of being a dinosaur that goes extinct they are leading the charge to monopolize that market as well.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Allow the import of super-economy vehicles, for a start.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Big Oil is not a cabal. It's a lot of competing businesses. Now OPEC is a cabal. Break OPEC and oil/gas prices will drop.

Big oil provides a product, relative to the cost in other parts of the world, to us in the USA at a good price with no taxpayer subsidizes. Do they get tax breaks? Yes but these are the same tax breaks all businesses get. My suggestion is if you want to leverage future energy/commodity cost then buy stock in energy companies. Exxon generally has a dividend between 2-3% (currently 2.35%) Have you checked the local bank cd and money market rates lately? Plus as the FED keeps printing worthless dollars smart money moves to commodities which cannot be reproduced indiscriminately.

Not trying to argue just saying what I see as opportunity.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Allow the import of super-economy vehicles, for a start.
On that we are in total agreement. 4 wheelers and those little japanese vehicles are street legal here.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIMCO-MEISTER View Post
Big Oil is not a cabal. It's a lot of competing businesses. Now OPEC is a cabal. Break OPEC and oil/gas prices will drop.
I understand your point and I do concede that big oil in our country is a quilt of businesses. The "competing" part I can't quite bring myself to say. I think they are competitive in the fact that they all would like to individually be sitting at the top. That being said, they are one of the most congruent bodies of similar businesses that RARELY will overly challenge the other's pricing models. They are very much in accordance with each other. (and let me add, that isn't a shot at these companies, that's just smart business.)
Old 06-07-2011, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm hedging inflation by buying Real Estate, good time to buy...anywhere. I share the same feelings Greenlight does. If everything stopped until we could re-organize we may stand a chance. Not that I'm a history guy, but wasn't the civil war over such desires? How about the French Revolution? Skyrocketing profits may be the end of the big game, simply not sustainable. But then again I'm just another ass-hole with an opinion.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree on real estate. May be the last great buying opportunity in real estate for another 20 years until everybody forgets what caused the last disaster.

Anarchy rarely leads to solutions or a better deal. I really believe if the US said lets go for it and started allowing more drilling the speculators would dump oil and the price would drop appreciably. Developing solar and wind energy isn't going to lower gas prices especially since they are subsidized by taxes on gas
Old 06-07-2011, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

more drilling equals lower prices is wishful thinking
Old 06-07-2011, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

show me a study that disproves that. That is just the quick uninformed cliche of the left these days.