Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-06-2011, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Wright Stander X Review

Okay, so my title is a bit misleading.

I am LOOKING for reviews of the Stander X, now that it has been in action for a few months.

I bought a mower with an unproven deck once, and that was a near-catastrophic mistake for my business.

So, Owners, how does it cut? How does it clump? How well does it handle that speed? What are the weaknesses of the unit?

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2011, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

good thread man, i was impressed with the cut when demoing one, but the toro was better. however, i did not get to cut spring grass with it. it did however do a great job of dispersal of clippings.

anzxious to hear others spring reviews too.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks, Grassman. You've obviously grown in your affection for the Grandstands.

I would like to point out, however, that when you were demoing, you just couldn't decide. But, rather, you finally chose the Toro because of its proven deck - unwilling to be a guinea pig with Wright's new one.

Sooooo, seriously... does NOBODY own one of these machines? C'mon, peeps! Hook a brotha up!
Old 06-06-2011, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

As a side note, was quoted $8,750 today by the local shop that is allegedly a dealer, but doesn't have so much as a brochure for the company. Had to make phone calls to check pricing and availability.

Yeah, like I want THOSE guys doing work on my machine... <picture me making weird fart noise in tandem with a big thumbs down>
Old 06-07-2011, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Does NOBODY own this mower?

Perhaps I need a more direct thread title...
Old 06-14-2011, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopassonthebluegrass View Post
As a side note, was quoted $8,750 today by the local shop that is allegedly a dealer, but doesn't have so much as a brochure for the company. Had to make phone calls to check pricing and availability.

Yeah, like I want THOSE guys doing work on my machine... <picture me making weird fart noise in tandem with a big thumbs down>
You can pick one up in Dec. for $7350.00 plus tax.

I am interested in the X also. We are running 4 of the regular Standers now.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Wright Stander X 48"

At long last, I finally got it. I say at long last because, I researched the hell out of the:

Toro Grandstand 48" (Very Smooth Controls)

eXmark Vantage (Same as Toro)

Wright Stander X (Fast As Hell) (Touchy Controls)(arguably better Kaw Engine)(Better Balanced).

My Wright was delivered today and I have been out, the last 2 hours, in the freezing cold (By North Carolina Standards) getting a good feel for it and testing it in some wet grass.

I must say, It is performing very well though the "Standard Stripping Kit" does not seem to be that great. I hope it is just because the grass is fairly wet because if not, my old eXmark Phazer 42" strippes better with no kit.

As for the cut, it is very very good and did not have to double cut. There was also no clumping. I will take pics of the underside of the deck tomorrow and post them if ya'll are interested (Got Dark).

I am by no means a pro, I only cut a fews lawns per week for extra change. I do like to buy quality machines and the Wright Stander X is pretty sweet so far.

If you have any request, let me know and I will be happy to try and help out.

Last edited by ArieMcD; 12-17-2011 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Info Add
Old 12-17-2011, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArieMcD View Post
At long last, I finally got it. I say at long last because, I researched the hell out of the:

Toro Grandstand 48" (Very Smooth Controls)

eXmark Vantage (Same as Toro)

Wright Stander X (Fast As Hell) (Touchy Controls)(arguably better Kaw Engine)(Better Balanced).

My Wright was delivered today and I have been out, the last 2 hours, in the freezing cold (By North Carolina Standards) getting a good feel for it and testing it in some wet grass.

I must say, It is performing very well though the "Standard Stripping Kit" does not seem to be that great. I hope it is just because the grass is fairly wet because if not, my old eXmark Phazer 42" strippes better with no kit.

As for the cut, it is very very good and did not have to double cut. There was also no clumping. I will take pics of the underside of the deck tomorrow and post them if ya'll are interested (Got Dark).

I am by no means a pro, I only cut a fews lawns per week for extra change. I do like to buy quality machines and the Wright Stander X is pretty sweet so far.

If you have any request, let me know and I will be happy to try and help out.
You can make the controls a bit less touchy at the cost of speed if you wish. On the newer ones the adjustment is down by the pumps. Put the control rods in another set of holes on each side. It will slow the machine down a bit while making it less twitchy.

As for the striping kit, on the newest versions its adjustable up/down. So you might want to check and see if when you are in your cutting position it is actually down on the grass. The original design it was in a fixed position so at about 3.25 or 3.5" it was basically on the ground. The lower you went the more it folded up. I have not unpacked the newest X model we just got on our spring order so I do not know where they are setting them at the factory. Could be in the highest setting causing you to get no contact with the grass.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
You can make the controls a bit less touchy at the cost of speed if you wish. On the newer ones the adjustment is down by the pumps. Put the control rods in another set of holes on each side. It will slow the machine down a bit while making it less twitchy.

As for the striping kit, on the newest versions its adjustable up/down. So you might want to check and see if when you are in your cutting position it is actually down on the grass. The original design it was in a fixed position so at about 3.25 or 3.5" it was basically on the ground. The lower you went the more it folded up. I have not unpacked the newest X model we just got on our spring order so I do not know where they are setting them at the factory. Could be in the highest setting causing you to get no contact with the grass.
I will give it a shot. Thanks for the information
Old 12-17-2011, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopassonthebluegrass View Post
Thanks, Grassman. You've obviously grown in your affection for the Grandstands.

I would like to point out, however, that when you were demoing, you just couldn't decide. But, rather, you finally chose the Toro because of its proven deck - unwilling to be a guinea pig with Wright's new one.

Sooooo, seriously... does NOBODY own one of these machines? C'mon, peeps! Hook a brotha up!
hah, never even saw the reply you gave!

i was on the fence. it was a hard decision. we are very happy

however, in the end after running wrights frame for years(the deck does not make the mower body control any dif) and now having a full season on the toro, i can say that it is still better in every way except simplicity. it is more complicated. in fact, they have uncomplicated the drive linkages on new models and made it retroactive on service bulliten. i plan on having my ground speed contol taken off like the new ones, and a simpler set installed. they have some play in them, that is getting worse. removin the old linkages from that is the direct cause and under warranty/bulliten,

however, i have heard some great reviews on this deck, but not from here. we seem to be quite the dif climate and conditions from most and it is very tough mowing. i think they did however have great success and i think it is prob a very capable deck.

interesting fact, my dealer who sells both have sold 2 wrights in 2011, and almost countless toro.