Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-06-2011, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

URGENT: What is the going rate to install 12 Norway Spruce Tree's in CT?

I know they grow 100 FT high and about 20-40 FT wide. I never planted these before and want to know what the rate is so I don't low ball by mistake. They will be 5-6 feet high when I install them.

"Money & Power leads to Greed and usually ends with Corruption."

" I don't blame our industry to be looked down at because most of the people either couldn't keep a stable job or were criminals."

" A LEADER will always have more haters than a FOLLOWER."

Last edited by soloscaperman; 06-06-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Its going to be just like planting a regular 6' spruce tree. Are you going to have equipment with you? IE a dingo with forks and a bucket at least? If so, you will be ok, if not its going to be a pain in the a$$ becasue moving those trees wont be really easy. If you get an auger with it to that will be even better.

If your hand digging, figure on about 30 minutes to dig the hole, remember 2xs the width of the ball, Then if you have a dingo you can have the tree in the ground, back filled, and mulched in like 10 minutes or so with 2 guys. If not then I would figure about 30-45 minutes per tree with two guys.

I try to get anywhere from 75% to 100% of my cost on the tree based on equipment we are using. If we can use the dingo with the forks, bucket, and auger 75% if we have to hand dig, move with a ball cart etc. 100%. So on a tree that costs us 120$, we will be anywhere from $90-120 per tree. for the install, then double the retail price for a 1 year warranty, and then the tree itself. So really we do a 6' spruce tree at like $375 plus then add in like $25.00 per tree usually for mulch too.

Now check with your local nursery too because some will give you even better pricing if your order is set to be delivered straight from the field or from their supplier. I know mine does, so then we can go in a little lower for price.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

It backfired. I showed the customer the tree's and she went to another place. She is debating since the other place WILL DO IT FOR $65 AND INCLUDE THE WARRANTY!! I heard the going rate is around $85 to $100. She feels bad since they won't include the warranty if someone else installs them.

"Money & Power leads to Greed and usually ends with Corruption."

" I don't blame our industry to be looked down at because most of the people either couldn't keep a stable job or were criminals."

" A LEADER will always have more haters than a FOLLOWER."
Old 10-03-2012, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Member

FWIW, I won't warranty a tree commercially if someone else plants them. (I will warrant to private people -- the warranty is built into the price. Quantity one costs more.)

My standard deal is: plant, weed barrier, mulch, 2 year warranty = price of tree.
That will include two visits a year to check the staking, and fertilize.