Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-06-2011, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bwahahahahahahahah!!!!

Just got a call from someone, never worked for before. Asked if we had availability to install a system this week. I snorted/chuckled, and kindly told him we don't install, and any good company is going to be booked 2-4 weeks in advance. I won't even refer that to someone I know. Plan ahead people. How friggin' hard is it?

Heat and work is finally getting to me.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
Just got a call from someone, never worked for before. Asked if we had availability to install a system this week. I snorted/chuckled, and kindly told him we don't install, and any good company is going to be booked 2-4 weeks in advance. I won't even refer that to someone I know. Plan ahead people. How friggin' hard is it?

Heat and work is finally getting to me.
Ho ho, have had the same kind of calls, too. I got to a point where I asked them, "do you think we're just sitting around waiting for your phone call?" I've also told would-be clients that any sprinkler company that was not busy this time of year was not worth using.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I did a bid this morning for a residential that wanted a system put in yesterday. I smiled and said it would be a month before I can even think about this install. Poor planning on the part of the customer does not make it my priority.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The only time I've jumped is I knew where they lived (we have a "Gold Coast" area where the homes of the 1%ers are). I looked at one where he wanted his long driveway irrigated for his daughter's wedding. I told him we were slammed (this was July) and could not get there immediately.He looked at me and said, "did I ask you how much this would cost?". We started the next day.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
The only time I've jumped is I knew where they lived (we have a "Gold Coast" area where the homes of the 1%ers are). I looked at one where he wanted his long driveway irrigated for his daughter's wedding. I told him we were slammed (this was July) and could not get there immediately.He looked at me and said, "did I ask you how much this would cost?". We started the next day.
Doubtful that was one of those kind of 1%ers, nor are there that many around here. Heck, we can't get to new service work calls until next week, nevermind an install. We might take on a couple installs this Aug/Sept, to keep things busy. Maybe. If I feel like it.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
....he wanted his long driveway irrigated for his daughter's wedding. I told him we were slammed (this was July) and could not get there immediately.He looked at me and said, "did I ask you how much this would cost?". We started the next day.

That fellow knows how to talk. And he doesn't even need to say please!!
Old 06-06-2011, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

"lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on our part" That's the key quote for those kind of people Dana....
Old 06-06-2011, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

you know this time of year if you don't care about customers feeling like they got gouged.

Assuming your work is quality.

Why not an hourly rate +50% for next day service.
Hourly rate +40% for 2 day service.
Hourly rate + 30% for 3 day service
etc
etc
If they want next day service then say okay but the rate will be the normal rate +50% for the rescheduling headaches.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIMCO-MEISTER View Post
you know this time of year if you don't care about customers feeling like they got gouged.

etc
etc
If they want next day service then say okay but the rate will be the normal rate +50% for the rescheduling headaches.
All bullshit Peter. You take the fun, challenging stuff. the dorks with their "installed by others" crap repairs get put on the back burner, or ignored. Excuse me, but I'm a pimp for mega-end installs.

Last edited by Mike Leary; 06-06-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIMCO-MEISTER View Post

etc
etc
But who do I screw that is already scheduled? Who do I move to next week because I already have the entire week scheduled just because some bozo doesn't have the courtesy to call soon enough? Having someone pay extra is not going to be enough to change my life. They can wait, or they can call someone who isn't busy.