Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-06-2011, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Unfortunately I've raised my rates almost every year but I keep my long term clients. They are the best advertisement you can get.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't call that unfortunate. I'd call that good business.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIMCO-MEISTER View Post
Lots of ways to be successful in business. No hard set rules. I have no problem with the attitude you keep what you know and the existing customers. I also have no problem with the guy who figures out how to get more dollars from the seasonal demand of his service. Regardless you should raise your rates some every year. 2.50-5.00 every year.
If you sell out, its time to raise your price. That doesn't mean if you get over whelmed for two weeks, you raise your rate.

I worked in broadcasting many years ago and we had a grid rate structure. Basically the more popular times ended up selling at higher rates because of demand. Sort of like what you posted earlier.

Then again, you could always lower your rates and become very popular. It depends on what you want.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by irritation View Post
Who's broke? You're the one living out of your truck.
............................For free, no income, all bills paid, no worries about next month. Yaa, it's low-life, I love it.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I get those calls often, and I schedule them in on our repair days, and tell my guys to bring friends with them to work, because we are installing a system in 1 day.

I have built some of my best working relationships through those calls.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

@inspired

i agree with that. I was gearing my comments more towards the guy who will never lack for customers because of longevity and reputation. If you know you will never lack for customers then trying to figure out how to game the business to be more financially rewarding is just good old fashioned capitalism.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

They're always looking. You need to be fair and not out of line.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Right now we are scheduling existing customers 5-10 business days out, and new ones 10-14 business days. If they will wait that long, I will schedule them. But I too am turning work away left and right.

I'm not going to be somebody's b!tch or their wh0re just because they have the money to throw around. If they respect me, I'll respect them. It's that simple. I had one cold call email about 3 weeks ago. He was coming in from DC and wanted to know if I could be at his place two days from his initial email to do a start up. I let him know how far booked out we are. He asked about paying double. I turned him down.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is that point where I am overly frustrated with customers not understanding things. they wonder why the grass is browning up, but we set the controller for April conditions two months ago, the wind has been blowing all spring, no rain recently, and record highs the past two days. Adjust the controller for crying out loud. When winter comes, you adjust the thermostat in your home. You don't call the furnace company and ask why is it cold in the house. Conditions change.

I could probably write a book on all the stupid things customers say or ask us to do.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
I could probably write a book on all the stupid things customers say or ask us to do.
Prolly my all-time favorite cold phone call is, "what's the price for a average sized system?" The way I qualified those calls was to tell them I had not installed a system under 10k for twenty years. That either got my foot in the door or freaked them right out.