Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-06-2011, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Overgrown Burning Bush Trim

I trimmed an overgrown Winged Euonymus Hedge (Burning Bush) today. I had done it a few years ago and then the homeowner did it after that but wasn't able to reach all of it. It was to the point that even with an 8 foot step ladder and extended hedge trimmers it was tough to reach it all....close to 15 plus feet across I think.

I think I'm going to have to sharpen my trimmers now, I was into finger-sized wood to get it down as far as I did. Anything further would have required a lot of hand pruning.

Here are some pictures in progress and then after completed. I had already done the side before the first pictures.

Note: Those are some "babies" down on the bottom left that the homeowner wants to transplant.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2011, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Member

You used that trimmer that was on your tailgate? Step up to a Stihl Kombi with the hedger attachment, the reach is far far longer & no leaning over to extend your reach+you can buy a 3 ft extension as well. How long did it take you to trim?
Old 06-06-2011, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I used my Shindaiwa 30 inch trimmer for the sides and my extended one for my Shindaiwa Multi-Tool for the top. It's about as long as is manageable. I also have a dedicated extended Shindaiwa trimmer but it's not as long as the Multi-Tool one and I didn't use it for this job.

My log book is out in my truck but I think the job took 3.5 hours on-site including cleanup, 2 short breaks and some chat time with the customer. I also loaded up some brush and some other yard wastes she had and gave the Quince to the left of the Burning Bushes a Minor trim. There was a fair amount of stepping back to see how I was doing since there really was no prior cut for me to follow. I had to be careful not to cut any of it down below where I could get the rest of it to (been there, done that, lol)

I don't mind this kind of job so much since I got that ladder. It's nice because I can put the front leg right in the bush and it's very stable as well.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Honestly, I would have done that entire hedge by hand pruner- I bet it would have been half the time too. Start in one area, and keep it consistent across. We do this with Viburnums all the time. The clean-up is minimal to easy, the cuts on the plant are 10x better and healthier. The large cuts will put off growth that isn't as flushed as the millions of gas trimmer cuts....

You're really rejuvenating the plant with a lopper or hand pruner cut.

I'm also not being critical, or saying you "did it wrong"... those shrubs are tough and you did a good job. Just would have done it a bit differently. Easy clean up.

www.PerfectEarthLandscape.com

Follow my updates and pictures on Facebook and LawnSite
Old 06-06-2011, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, certainly an option and the cleaner cuts are certainly better for it. The only problem is that you really have to get inside of the bush to do that and with that much growth on it it's hard to see what the hell you're doing. It's also hard to get any perspective working that close up. I thought it would take too much time to do it by hand, maybe I was wrong.

The full size of these babies is hard to see in the pictures. They're pretty freaking huge. This is the size the customer wanted it too. She really likes her privacy.

I'll be there later this week for a mow. Maybe I'll snap some pictures to show just how heavily vegetated the place is. There's a 6 foot stockage fence surrounding the whole property and cedars and pines everywhere...really pinned in. That little path shown in the second photo is the only way in to the property.

I did a much larger and very old one last year all by hand, the thing is more like a tree with a spread of 25 feet or so. I'd put it in the specimen category. I raised it all up to about 6 feet (there's a bed and a stone bench under it) so that you could see the all of the twisted wood of the trunk and branches. It looked pretty cool when I was done, a bit like a mutant mushroom, lol.