Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-06-2011, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Starting completely over!

Hi,

I too stumbled on this site after researching for info about starting a Lawn care and landscaping business. Like most of the guys on here I've always made extra money by doing various forms of lawn care and landscaping projects for people. Long story short, I was laid off back in 08 from my job as a product development technician for BMW, yep great job down the drains, like so many millions of others. Well, it left me with plenty of time to do my side job and one after another people started asking for me full time to take care of their lawns and such for them, being unemployed I was like sure why not, I like what I'm doing and why not make some cash at it. Little did I know at the time, this was my future. after about a year of job searching I became frustrated and decided to make a full fledge business out of my side job. I consider myself very much a rookie but am learning by leaps and bounds. I read everything I can get my hands on and this site has been an invaluable resource, I love the folks on here they are as real as they come. I am a daily reader and love to share what little bit of knowledge I have learned.

Since starting with two accounts I now have 10 and am looking to get a small business loan so I can grow. I am fully licensed and insured and will get my pesticide license in July. Like anything it's hard but very rewarding in the end.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats and good luck! Started just like you a year ago and am looking to expand even more this year! Its hard work but very rewarding at the end of the day.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Hello, your story sounds alot like mine! Got laid off late April and missed getting started early enough to get out and land more customers...I had 4 last summer that I had for extra money and have managed to land 11 more this summer. I'm still putting out fliers in hopes to get more customers maybe for leaf collections, etc... I'm 44 and had a job for over 11 years so I hope i'm not too old to start over! Good luck to you and please keep me posted on your progress.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Same here.

I retired from the military back in 2005. Went to work for the DoD after that. I started doing 1 lawn for an older woman from church when her husband passed away. Now four years later, word of mouth, pastor giving out my name, phone number posted at the senior center. Things kind of snowballed. I couldn't say no and ran myself ragged last year. Working full time and taking care of 10-15 lawns is tough going. Bought the business licenses and insurance and kept on moving.

My original intent was to get my equipment, have my client base set and slide into this permanent in a couple of more years.

Plans changed, layoffs on the horizion, not enough years and saw the writting on the wall so I jumped earlier than anticipated.

Good thing is I did well enough over the last couple of years to get an older 3/4 ton truck in nice shape and a new western plow for the winter and was able to get a year of plowing under my belt before this all happened.

Have most of the rest of the equipment I need. 2 Husky tractors, 4 walk behinds, 3 trimmers etc. Built as much backup into everything I could as I went along and paid for everything as I went.

I like doing this and enjoy getting to meet people everyday. Still worried and will admit a bit scared. Having a steady pay check for years and now having to rely on yourself scared me at first.

Also see the good side of it, less work hours, more fishing time and I am the boss. I answer to my customers and myself.