Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 06-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Mike Leary's Avatar
Mike Leary Mike Leary is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Winnemucca, Nevada
Posts: 20,577
Bicycle pumps work great to winterize BF, only need about 7psi to do the job, left the shut-offs at a 45 degree angle. Never had one freeze.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-07-2011, 02:07 PM
DanaMac's Avatar
DanaMac DanaMac is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Somewhere in the state of CO
Posts: 13,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
This is why I will not leave a backflow on for the winter. I want to be sure there is no chance water will enter and ruin it. If it does not have unions I'll cut and install in the spring.
Wouldn't meet building codes here. Can't have unions on either side, and if you take it off, it is SUPPOSED to have a new permit and inspected again to make sure it meets minimum heights. The local city parks people did that this winter, and found out you can't do that.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-07-2011, 02:08 PM
DanaMac's Avatar
DanaMac DanaMac is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Somewhere in the state of CO
Posts: 13,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Bicycle pumps work great to winterize BF, only need about 7psi to do the job, left the shut-offs at a 45 degree angle. Never had one freeze.
If drained properly, a PVB and RP only need draining, no pump or compressor.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-07-2011, 02:45 PM
Mike Leary's Avatar
Mike Leary Mike Leary is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Winnemucca, Nevada
Posts: 20,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
Wouldn't meet building codes here. Can't have unions on either side, and if you take it off, it is SUPPOSED to have a new permit and inspected again to make sure it meets minimum heights. The local city parks people did that this winter, and found out you can't do that.
For an area that has such a Suffock County attitude towards backflow testing, I find that rather disingenuous.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-07-2011, 03:10 PM
DanaMac's Avatar
DanaMac DanaMac is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Somewhere in the state of CO
Posts: 13,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
For an area that has such a Suffock County attitude towards backflow testing, I find that rather disingenuous.
That is code. Doesn't mean it is enforced. I would think the RPs being taken off in the high visibility areas in the parks and medians is what caught the eye of Regional Building.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-07-2011, 03:18 PM
Mike Leary's Avatar
Mike Leary Mike Leary is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Winnemucca, Nevada
Posts: 20,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
That is code. Doesn't mean it is enforced. I would think the RPs being taken off in the high visibility areas in the parks and medians is what caught the eye of Regional Building.
True, true, I once quit testing for a purveyor who made me look like the horse's ass I am by not enforcing his own code.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-07-2011, 03:34 PM
Wet_Boots's Avatar
Wet_Boots Wet_Boots is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: metro NYC
Posts: 39,806
I find it interesting that the BPs with jammed components I've seen were all Febco products
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-07-2011, 03:51 PM
DanaMac's Avatar
DanaMac DanaMac is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Somewhere in the state of CO
Posts: 13,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
I find it interesting that the BPs with jammed components I've seen were all Febco products
Is it because of the higher percentage and overall number of the Febcos? Here, I would say Febco is about 80-90%, and the rest is a mix of Watts, Wilkins, Conbraco, and some misc. AVBs in place of what should be a PVB. So given the high percentage, we would see primarily Febcos failing.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Wet_Boots's Avatar
Wet_Boots Wet_Boots is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: metro NYC
Posts: 39,806
Definitely the vast majority of installs, but the designs have a lot to do with it. A Wilkins 720 can't get jammed like a Febco 765 does - that poppet has the same sort of cylindrical guide that the check valve covers have on a Febco DCVA
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-08-2011, 11:26 PM
mitchgo's Avatar
mitchgo mitchgo is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 2,629
hey mike,

that actually wasn't my install. Just wanted to show that they are out there
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:04 PM.

Page generated in 0.09462 seconds with 8 queries