Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-16-2002, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

For most all fert applications, pre-m, many insecticides, and even Balyton (fung.) a spreader will do fine, but for the weeds, crab and many fungicides, spraying is the only way to go.
Old 10-16-2002, 06:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You will find that you will have good luck with granular fertilizer, it may cost a little more per application vs liquid but I personally perfer it.

You will get in trouble if you use post emergent granular weed control on a commercial basis. In my cool season lawns there are two high times of weed pressure, spring and fall with spring being the more active of the two. As was stated above, the post em products are foilar contact herbicides, to be absorbed at the leaf. Perfect conditions must exist for this product to be effective. The leaf has to be wet, the hercbicide has to be effective for the target and the herbicide must remain on the target for a period of time to be absorbed by the target.
This is a difficult window to get to on a commercial basis.

In using a granular herbicide you are basically blanketing an area with a herbicide. If it is effectively applied you will get some results but if not it is pretty irresponsible to just dump a load of herbicide on the ground to wash into the soil.

I had the same idea as you did years back and found that there is no substitute for liquid post emergent herbicide applications. If you do not do them you will get weeds to establish in a lawn eventually.

As far as blanket vs spot spray goes, you have to look at the lawn and see what kind of weed pressure exists. If I get a new lawn I check and see how much weed problem is there and decide if it would be time better spent to blanket spray the lawn or take the backpack and hit the spots.
I have had good luck with using a homemade sprayer for my Walker on large area blankets however I need to bridge the gap on the lawns of smaller than 10K sq ft so I will be getting a tank for next season.

I don't know if you are certified to apply pesticides or not but it is a requirement. Besides that, they teach you lots of good info about how to apply safely.
Good question.
Old 10-16-2002, 06:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have had NO success with granular weed control...everywhere I used it this year I had to go back and spray...never again will I use that stuff...great point mentioned above about conditions having to be "perfect" for granular to work at all...I am by far no chemical expert like the guys above....but what i do know is that Momentum wont be on my shopping list in the future
Old 10-16-2002, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You Don't have to have a skid tank sprayer to use liguid weed control. I use a Back pack or hand held sprayer for spot treatments of weds and I have a "Grounds Wheelie" 6gal push sprayer for blanket treatments if I need it. It's worked well so far. I do have a 35gal tank that I can use to fill the sprayers with.
Even If I get a big sked sprayer, I will stick to granular for the fert. end of the program.

Paul Arens
Columbus, NE
Old 10-16-2002, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Paul Can you supply some more info on the "Grounds Wheelie."?

Thanks
Old 10-16-2002, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Paul, Im with Ken. May we have some more info on the whelelie? I would also like to know alittle more about your 35 gal tank that you mentioned. Where did you get it and at what cost. Thanks to all who replied.
Old 10-17-2002, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The "grounds wheelie" I think is a smaller version of a "greens wheelie"?? I got mine used with a the equip. that came with another company I bought out. It orginaly came from "A.M. leonard" I think the web address is amleo.com but I'm not sure.

the unit has a square 6 gal tank, wheels about the size of the ones on the lesco spreadr only ribbed, a folding boom with one nozzel on each end. The shut off is induvidual at each nozzel and controled by two knobs on the handles. The pump is a simple plastic tube that is squeezed by pegs on the inside of the wheel rims. It puts out about 1 gal per 1000 sq ft. (not sure, I have to recheck it since I adjusted the nozzel angle).

It works ok. gets a little heavy and I wich I could cover more ground on a tank but different nozzels might help that.

sorry I don't have more info, try the website or an A.M.Leonard catolog.

Paul Arens
Columbus, NE
Old 10-17-2002, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Paul, is this what you have?

http://www.wheelspray.com
Old 10-18-2002, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep, That's the one.

I realy like the simplicity of it. no extra pump and engine, no dragging a hose around. Reading that makes me think I should use it more.

Here's another question. How often do you blanket of full spray a lawn? or do you mostly spot treat for weeds? If spot treating, do you use a back-pack or handpump sprayer or due you still use the tank and hose method? Just wondering.

Paul Arens
Columbus, NE
Old 10-20-2002, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Paul,

I would love to answer your questions, but I dont do any apps yet. I am going to become liscensed within the month.