Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-09-2011, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Commercial vs residential?

Hi. Im in highschool and working my second year residential. Im going fairly well for starting off and I know the residential market pretty well, but i know nothing about commercial mowing.

For ease, lets say 2 same sized jobs, a big res. and small com. take the same time to do. Do you get paid more for the commercial job simply because its commercial and you can? Or is the pricing the same?

Im thinking about moving into commercial soon
Old 06-09-2011, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshman108 View Post
Hi. Im in highschool and working my second year residential. Im going fairly well for starting off and I know the residential market pretty well, but i know nothing about commercial mowing.

For ease, lets say 2 same sized jobs, a big res. and small com. take the same time to do. Do you get paid more for the commercial job simply because its commercial and you can? Or is the pricing the same?

Im thinking about moving into commercial soon
Well first off your in for a rude awakening. In my experience commercial accounts tend to be less money than residential. Every swinging you know what is drooling over them and then the bidding begins which means, usually the lowest price wins. There is very little loyalty so don't put all your eggs in one basket because you might not be there next year. TRUST ME!!! more times than not there not worth the headaches. We do 3 big box stores and many other commercial places but these 3 are a complete PITA! picking up garbage for an hour before you can even start mowing, call backs for a single sidewalk crack weed, stupid stuff. Don't get me wrong, we have a few that are good accounts but every year you have to worry if the next low baller slashed the price again. I know the allure of doing a "commercial" account is great but again most aren't worth the phone call.

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 06-09-2011, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

To answer the question, given the conditions you described with two lots...
One residential, one commercial, both identical to each other down to every
single last detail except one is residential, the other is a business.
Assuming both would have exactly the same work done.
The price would be the same.

One should always charge what it would cost to do the amount of work being asked of us to do,
plus materials and what costs you may have, labor, all of that.
But we don't charge more because we can, nor do we charge extra just because it's a business.

As to whether that actually and ever works out that way in the real world?
That could be a different story.

Last edited by topsites; 06-09-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

And make sure u have some profit. I've nickeled and domed myself to death on some bids. Make it worth your while.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2011, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Commercial jobs are usually more money, but less profit. They cover more expenses, but cost more to do a lot of times. It's hard to find residential jobs that bring in as much as a commercial job. Fyi, Condos are the worst... and cheap
2001 Ford F-350 4x4 SD XLT 7.3PSD
6X16' Tandem axle trailer
5X8 BIG MAX trailer
Exmark Vantage 24/52
Bobcat Predator Pro 61" 26LC
Simplicity Legacy 60" Vanguard Diesel
Redmax EB7001, 7150, 7500
Stihl BG55, SH85
Echo SRM-210, SRM-225 (3), Dolmar 22C
(2) Echo PAS-265
Old 06-10-2011, 03:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Commercial is garbage!!! Why does everybody think comm. Is the holy Grail of lawn service?

Next time you drive by commercial sites, look at the guys maintaining them. 98% are garbage lowball lawn guys working from a dodge Dakota. If that's what you aspire to be, then go for it...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2011, 06:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Aside from some of the points above, both markets are profitable in their own ways.

You will run into a problem bidding commercial properties until you're at least eighteen. As of now you're not old enough to sign a contract, even if you are initiating it.
Also, I'm assuming that you've not insured yourself, due to your age. Most commercial properties ask for more than minimum insurance. You will have trouble getting insurance until you're 18.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherlawnguy View Post
Commercial is garbage!!! Why does everybody think comm. Is the holy Grail of lawn service?

Next time you drive by commercial sites, look at the guys maintaining them. 98% are garbage lowball lawn guys working from a dodge Dakota. If that's what you aspire to be, then go for it...
Posted via Mobile Device
This statement is just idiotic. Or maybe your idea of commercial is much different than mine. Most true commercial clients require contractors to meet many requirements to even submit a bid to even considered.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is my idea of commercial: obviously there are different kinds of commercial. You've got companies like valley crest that do the common grounds for all the nice sub divisions around here. I know for a fact that nobody on this site van compete with them.

Then you have apartment complexes that some of the medium sized guys can handle.

There are strip malls, car dealerships, businesses, restaurants, gas stations, fast food etc which is what most of the commercial jobs guys on here refer to. Maybe it's different where your at, but here in this part of Florida, those types of commercial accounts are serviced by the dirtiest, garbage lawn guys out there. Next time i get a chance, I will take some pics of the guys I see doing commercial work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2011, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks guys this helped. Fortunately I am 18 and am legalizing my business next year. How much does insurance cost?