Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-10-2011, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Best size enclosed trailer for my equipment?

Looking at a medium range plan here. Right now, I use a small 5x8 trailer for my Z, WB, and 21"er - pulled by my Dodge Dakota. I can get the WB and 21" on the trailer at the same time, but the Z is inches too long to be able to get that one on with any of my other mowers.

At the end of this season, I am interested in looking into an enclosed trailer for my mowing equipment so I can haul all at once and also have security for my handhelds. I would keep the utility as a landscaping/rock/dirt hauler. At any rate, what size enclosed would y'all recommend. My Z is a 48" Toro, and my WB is a 36" compact BOP Quick. I am thinking a 6x12. Should I look into wider/longer? I know, some of you will tell me to just buy a behemoth trailer but I want to keep the enclosed at least somewhat compact and not so hulking.
Also keep in mind I am pulling it with a Dakota, which has a V8 and enough guts to pull a good sized trailer, but not a huge one. Also, I assume I would want dual axle, correct?
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 06-10-2011, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

bump on up
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

Old 06-10-2011, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You can see my equipment list below in my signature. I use the 7x16 tandem axle enclosed trailer to keep all my equipment. I carry the 48" tthp and two push mowers plus four of the handhelds on an extreme trimmer rack, plus two backpack blowers. I've got a few other things on the shelves I built in the front of the trailer.

My suggestion to you is to get at least a 7x16, but what you should do is find a flat piece of land, driveway, parking lot, even grass and take some lumber or garden hose and lay out a 6x12 rectangle, a 7x16, or whatever size you think, and attempt to get all your equipment in that area. Remember that on those enclosed, you'll typically have the door up front and the drop gate in the back. Go through a few "dry runs" where you unload and load your trailer to determine how much work it would be to get equipment in and out, on and off of your "practice" laid out trailer.

The big catch is to remember there are walls, so when doing your layout, you can't just jump up on the trailer from the side, or reach through a wall to pull out a trimmer.

Good luck, and for my money, the enclosed trailer has paid for itself in security for my equipment and not having to load/unload every night. Plus, with the lettering I have, I've gained more customers from calls on that than just about anything else I've done.

My business provides quality lawn care, but more than that, we offer even higher customer service.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I run a Pace 6 x 12 single axle no brakes with a payload capacity of roughly 1800 pounds.

I fully admit my trailer limits my business model as do my current tow vehicles. I'm sure my competition gets a chuckle out of tow rigs pulling around my Gucci enclosed graphic'ed and lettered trailer with my smaller anemic Toyota rigs. My trucks will be the last upgrade. Up till this point I have put the money into the tool end of the equation not a new turbo diesel 3/4 ton full size truck with a Murray mower. I blew my capital in December on the Quick 32 & 44 duallys last winter so currently zero funds for truck this year. Honestly these BOP mowers will probably be the biggest and heaviest mowers I own. Mowing rates here do not justify a $7,000 to $15,000 mower. I never wanted to be the mow king anyhow so I focus on mowing account that fit and flow my current equipment. .

If your biggest mower on your trailer is your quick 36 it is very ideal for mowing. I can get a fair amount of equipment past the Q36 with out unloading it first or last. Q44 not so ideal. It has to go up in front to maximize floor space. In fact logistically swapping out the 44 deck for a 36 deck on the dually may actually save me more time overall. The 44 deck is more damp tolerant than the Q36 deck thus far.

Your 48 Z weighs how much? probably over 700#...? You are pushing the weigh range you want to run with trailer with no brakes. This weight issue on my single axle 6 x 12 has also put a damper on getting a Lawn Solutions stander at 1200#. So my angle is again I focus on smaller properties for aeration and just run my LS WB and my Plugr 850's.

Hope this helps.

It might be a good idea to chalk out the space outline on your driveway the useable enclosed trailer space and play musical equipment. Try 6 x 12 first then the other popular sizes.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If I were you I would look at a 7x14 with rear and side ramps. This will allow you to unload whichever mower is more effective on a lawn and not have to unload everything to get the one on the front. I would also get a tandem axle with brakes on one if not both. A 7x14 is larger than you are needing but not to big to pull with your truck. I have a feeling that the limiting factor on a v8 dakota is not the engine/transmission, but the brakes and suspension on the truck itself, as is with most trucks. I would stay away from a single axle trailer as you are at its limits with the mowers you have now and will not give you any room to grow.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The other caveat with a 6 x 12 trailer vs. something bigger is parking space on residential. I have absolutely zero desire to ever have a longer set up than what I'm currently running. I see other LCOs in my area running longish trailers and truck combos with limited options for parking etc.

In fact I really want to leave the trailer at home and go with a flatbed conversion for a truck.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
The other caveat with a 6 x 12 trailer vs. something bigger is parking space on residential. I have absolutely zero desire to ever have a longer set up than what I'm currently running. I see other LCOs in my area running longish trailers and truck combos with limited options for parking etc.

In fact I really want to leave the trailer at home and go with a flatbed conversion for a truck.
Exact I'm with you on leaving a trailer at home, I'm really wanting to get where I can justify a 12' box van with drop gate and leave the trailer at the house. Its not that I can't handle it or have enough room for parking, its really about wanting to keep things simple and easy for regular lawn mowing. That would also give me more room for signs on the side of the box.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A 6X12 trailer is pretty useless in this business if you plan on expanding anytime soon. Put one big mower in there along with all the other stuff and you will be cramped, along with prolly over your weight limit (48" ztr alone weighs over 1,000lbs). A 7 or 8 x 16 enclosed would be the way to go but no way your dakota is going to pull a fully loaded rig so that kinda limits ya there. A 7x14 dual axle will have good space for your trucks capabilities but will not be as big as you think. And if you dont have the parking at home, rent a shop space. Businesses can only be ran out of residential neighborhoods for so long then ya gotta step up and do what we all do at some point and get a shop. More professional and you can seperate your work life from your personal life (if you dont have the land at your house to park and store your business stuff without looking like a scrub/part timer).
Old 06-10-2011, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is good stuff guys, thanks.

Doing the outline and fitting my equipment in is a smart move.....
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

Old 06-11-2011, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I put a 48 hydro wb a 54 hydro wb and a 21 honda hrc 216 plus trimmers and blowers on a 6 x 12 3,500 pound axle. No problems here I have about 3,000 pounds on it total. I wanted a tandem axle with brakes but their was a 10-12week build time on a haulmark. They are the only ones I could find that are taller than 6ft inside. I am 6'1 so its important to me. I got a 3 year warranty and 1 year roadside assistance. I have it about a month but it is working just fine. Manufacturer told me you are fine up to or at around 3,500total. You go beyond that you'll have problems. I paid 2,900 and am happy so far. ZTR are heavier than wb's no doubt tho. GL!
48 and 52 inch Scag Pro-V's
48 and 36 inch Great Dane hydro WB's
2-21in Honda HRC 216 hydro
Echo Hedge trimmer HC-150
2- Shindaiwa multi tool M2510
2-Hitachi string trimmers
Shindaiwa BP blower 854
Robin BP blower
Shindaiwa HT 2510 30in single sided trimmers
Echo Blower ES-230
Stihl Chain Saw 250