Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-11-2011, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Load your current trailer/truck with everything you own for mowing, everything. Weight it loaded and then take it all off and get a reweight. Do the math, add 20%, add weight of new trailer and that is how much axle capacity you will need.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2011, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
DoetschOutdoor A 6X12 trailer is pretty useless in this business if you plan on expanding anytime soon. Put one big mower in there along with all the other stuff and you will be cramped, along with prolly over your weight limit (48" ztr alone weighs over 1,000lbs). A 7 or 8 x 16 enclosed would be the way to go but no way your dakota is going to pull a fully loaded rig so that kinda limits ya there. A 7x14 dual axle will have good space for your trucks capabilities but will not be as big as you think. And if you dont have the parking at home, rent a shop space. Businesses can only be ran out of residential neighborhoods for so long then ya gotta step up and do what we all do at some point and get a shop. More professional and you can seperate your work life from your personal life (if you dont have the land at your house to park and store your business stuff without looking like a scrub/part timer).
I must be a scrub then.
7 years ago we (my wife & I) were faced with a decision. I worked from my house, I could either spend 100 K on a shop, or move. Taxes alone on that building wre almost 10 K & it was in the ghetto. We decided on the latter. My current shop is a 36 x80 building, 1/3 heated & insulated, etc. NEXT TO MY HOUSE, we have 9 acres, but it was originall a 250 acre apple farm, all the land is still farm land (either orchard or field crop), the farmers that bought most of the land have about 5K acres & are still expanding, so no neighbors to complain. I have been doing this since '95 & have more aquired equipment than I care to mention. I was out there at one point looking around & was l feeling like "what the hell happened", I remember starting with a 4x8 trailer & a 21" Homlite, behind my toyota. Around here I would venture to guess 1/2 the companies are set up as mine, some do several million (or more), from behind there house.

Back to the original posters question, I have a 20' x 102" ? I think. We can get two zero turns & a 48" & 36" WB (side by side). Racks hold the handhelds. It is HEAVY though. I didn't spring for the 10K trailer, only the 7K, so it is probably close to the GVW.

Last edited by Mike Fronczak; 06-11-2011 at 08:23 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

More good info guys...but not buying a new truck anytime soon.
The V8 Dakota must be able to pull.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 06-11-2011, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
More good info guys...but not buying a new truck anytime soon.
The V8 Dakota must be able to pull.
Based on this I think the 6x12 or 7x14 is the way to go. I've actually thought about putting trailer brakes on my single axle enclosed. I have a substantial amount of money tied up in my graphics lettering on my current 6x12...so I'm kinda stuck for now.

One of the previous posts mentioned a V nose or side loading 7x14 enclosed. If I had a full size truck that is more tow.capable than what I have now I'd probably go.that route. The 2 extra feet is not the end of the world as for.parking but the added time saved n not having.to dig out a mower up front thus having.to move nearly everything out of the way is worth more than 2 feet of parking. convenience. Also wind drag is reduced with a v nose.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2011, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Based on this I think the 6x12 or 7x14 is the way to go. I've actually thought about putting trailer brakes on my single axle enclosed. I have a substantial amount of money tied up in my graphics lettering on my current 6x12...so I'm kinda stuck for now.

One of the previous posts mentioned a V nose or side loading 7x14 enclosed. If I had a full size truck that is more tow.capable than what I have now I'd probably go.that route. The 2 extra feet is not the end of the world as for.parking but the added time saved n not having.to dig out a mower up front thus having.to move nearly everything out of the way is worth more than 2 feet of parking. convenience. Also wind drag is reduced with a v nose.
Posted via Mobile Device
I have a side laoding gate on my 16' open trailer and it saves alot of hassle getting the WB off the front. Its also nice to have when doing mulch jobs being able to drop the gate and not have to deal with wheeling mulch around curbs or to the driveway.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Fronczak View Post
I must be a scrub then.
7 years ago we (my wife & I) were faced with a decision. I worked from my house, I could either spend 100 K on a shop, or move. Taxes alone on that building wre almost 10 K & it was in the ghetto. We decided on the latter. My current shop is a 36 x80 building, 1/3 heated & insulated, etc. NEXT TO MY HOUSE, we have 9 acres, but it was originall a 250 acre apple farm, all the land is still farm land (either orchard or field crop), the farmers that bought most of the land have about 5K acres & are still expanding, so no neighbors to complain. I have been doing this since '95 & have more aquired equipment than I care to mention. I was out there at one point looking around & was l feeling like "what the hell happened", I remember starting with a 4x8 trailer & a 21" Homlite, behind my toyota. Around here I would venture to guess 1/2 the companies are set up as mine, some do several million (or more), from behind there house.

Back to the original posters question, I have a 20' x 102" ? I think. We can get two zero turns & a 48" & 36" WB (side by side). Racks hold the handhelds. It is HEAVY though. I didn't spring for the 10K trailer, only the 7K, so it is probably close to the GVW.
You are exactly the kind of business I was not talking about. Your setup is what most people would strive to get. I was referring to the guys that keep their little enclosed trailer in their driveway and say they operate a big lawn company. There are about 3 or 4 alone in my residential neighborhood, part timers that keep too much equipment at their houses, with no shop anywhere in sight.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoetschOutdoor View Post
I was referring to the guys that keep their little enclosed trailer in their driveway and say they operate a big lawn company. There are about 3 or 4 alone in my residential neighborhood, part timers that keep too much equipment at their houses, with no shop anywhere in sight.
These are the people who end up heart broken, They fill their trailer up with EVERY tool they have ever bought! Then cry when they get robbed!

Why would you carry your expensive hedge trimmers and chain saws when you are just going out to mow?!?!?!

To be honest with you in my enclosed trailers i have 2-3 Mowers,whips,blowers, and a couple shovels or rakes. I dont keep my generators,tools,handhelds,etc. in there on a daily basis! There's no point!

Thats what i have a shop for! Then the trailers get put into the locked shop at the end of the night..

If i were you i would get a 8X14+ Enclosed tandem axle trailer...
That way if you ever upgrade to a 60-72" mower you wont have any problems getting it in there