Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-11-2011, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Member

anyone familiar with this brand hechinger

someone nearby is sellin a 5 hp leaf blower for cheap. it s only been used a couple times. i would like it for the parking lot of the dojo i maintain. my current crappy back pack blower takes me an hour to blow down. so it s a 5 hp briggs and strat engine walk behind style blower. cant find pics of equipment online in my searces thanx for the help
Old 06-11-2011, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Chain of stores like lowes or home depot. I think Home Depot bought them out years ago.
Greensboro NC
Old 06-11-2011, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

never heard of them. before buying make sure you will be able to get parts easily if you have a breakdown
61'' Scag V-Ride 29 HP Kawi
48" Exmark Lazer Z HP
48'' Bobcat Ransome Mower
21'' Husqvarna Mower
Stihl FS55R Weedwacker
Stihl FS100RX Weedwacker
Stihl BR600 Backpack Blower
Stihl MS180C Chainsaw
Giant Vac Walk Behind Blower
Kawasaki KHT600S Hedge Trimmer
Giant Vac 16HP Leaf Loader
Old 06-12-2011, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Member

thanx. the guy just made it sound like that was the brand name of the blower. ill check it out today
Old 06-12-2011, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

How I got this when I typed hechingers into G's search box?

Hechinger, mistakenly called Hechinger's by many customers was a chain of home improvement retail stores headquartered in Landover, Maryland outside Washington, D.C., and an online retailer owned by Home Decor Products.

John Hechinger, Sr. helped pioneer the do it yourself industry; from a single hardware store established by his father (Sidney) in 1911, Hechinger grew to a 64-store chain by the time it acquired Virginia Beach, Virginia-based HQ Home Quarters Warehouse in December 1987 for $66 million. In the 1980s it underwent a massive expansion of both HQ and the Hechinger Co. divisions, opening big-box stores to better compete with rivals Home Depot and Lowe's.

The company continued to lose money in the 1980s, however. The Hechinger family sold the company to Los Angeles investors Leonard Green & Partners for $507 million in July 1997, and the management launched new, smaller concept stores called Better Spaces and Wye River Hardware & Home searching for a niche. In September, Hechinger was merged with San Antonio, Texas-based Builders Square, formerly owned by Kmart.

After several rounds of store closings, Hechinger Co. filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on June 11, 1999, but the reorganization failed. That September, Hechinger's assets were liquidated, including its 117 remaining stores.

In 2004, Home Decor Products bought the Hechinger brand name and opened an online retailer the following year [1], which sells the same products as the former brand. On February 5, 2009, it was announced that the site would shut down and Hechinger will no longer sell tools. The site closed shortly thereafter.

Hechinger was one of the first sponsors of network television news in the early 1950s, when television was in its infancy. Their sponsorship of the 11PM newcast at TV station WTOP in Washington, DC, was a first, according to Walter Cronkite (an anchor of those broadcasts) in his autobiography A Reporter's Life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hechinger
Old 06-12-2011, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if it helps there lawn mowers and garden tractors were re-branded Roper i have worked on quite a few of there mowers. never seen a blower from them pic's please