Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-20-2011, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Peterson Grading View Post
I got to run the new Volvo CTL tonight.

Over all a WAY WAY better unit than the JCB Robot I rented last year.

Quite a bit of power, super Super nice cab, and they improved on the bucket sight as well

J.
Good to hear that. I was really wondering if the Volvo JCB skids were gonna be as bad as the JCB ones. I demoed a JCB Robot CTL back when my uncle was thinking about getting a JCB robot, neither of us liked it, no power. Luckily the salesman from the dealer never called us back. Good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Foot View Post
Buy what makes you happy. You're the one thats gonna make the payments .....
Old 08-20-2011, 05:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you buy this or are you just renting it to see if you like it enough?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-20-2011, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I got to run the new Volvo CTL tonight.

Over all a WAY WAY better unit than the JCB Robot I rented last year.

Quite a bit of power, super Super nice cab, and they improved on the bucket sight as well

J.
My buddy at Bobcat siad they hooked their mulcher up to JCB's largest CTL abd you could actually see the boom flexing so much that it almost contacted the cab. Granted, I don't know how many will end up with mulchers on them, but they don't think the boom would make it 500 hours in the field in that application before the cab interferred with the boom movement. I wouldn't be shocked to see JCB gusset the loader tower. A mulcher weighs in at around 2300lbs.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is a machine that I won't be getting anytime soon, ok ever. But, given the chance to operate something "New" I jumped at it. Thats all its going to be on my end.

J.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Member

jcb lifetime guarantee the arm... and your mate at bobcat, im sure that was an impartial opinion.... lol
Old 08-21-2011, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles_uk View Post
jcb lifetime guarantee the arm... and your mate at bobcat, im sure that was an impartial opinion.... lol
So I guess if the loader fails in 500hrs then that's the like time of the loader :-)

In fairness I've never seen a failed loader on one; however, JCB only sold about 150 of them in the US last year.

Maybe J can take his skip and put some dirt into it to cycle the loader up and down to see if the tower flexes? I do like the work they did on the cab even though you can't reach the door to close it when its open all the way and you're in the seat.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Digdeep; 08-21-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Member

jcb make a lot of loadall/telehandlers with capacity upto 9 tons lift think they can build an arm for these, if it were a US make wouldn't get half the uniformed criticisms they do, although they are designed and manufactured in the states.

ppl dont like change as well, they see different as bad not pioneering
Old 08-21-2011, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles_uk View Post
jcb make a lot of loadall/telehandlers with capacity upto 9 tons lift think they can build an arm for these, if it were a US make wouldn't get half the uniformed criticisms they do, although they are designed and manufactured in the states.

ppl dont like change as well, they see different as bad not pioneering
Agree with your comments; however, a skid steer is a different animal compared to a telehandler... It's life is spent spinning, prying, ramming, cycling, etc. A telehandler lifts stuff to either position it and.....

JCB only just "redesigned" the SSL "in the US". Previously the machines still had European fittings, significant issues regarding parts costs and availability, and a very poor US distribution. They may have rectified the first two; however, their dealer network will take time to fix.

They already rule the worldwide Backhoe market, yet are a bit player here in the US. They are a neat company, but they have struggled in the US for many years. It will be interesting to see how it works out for them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-21-2011, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
This is a machine that I won't be getting anytime soon, ok ever. But, given the chance to operate something "New" I jumped at it. Thats all its going to be on my end.

I would have jumped at the chance too. I think they did a real nice job on the appearance, and spec wise they don't look too bad.

J.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-21-2011, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digdeep View Post
My buddy at Bobcat siad they hooked their mulcher up to JCB's largest CTL abd you could actually see the boom flexing so much that it almost contacted the cab. Granted, I don't know how many will end up with mulchers on them, but they don't think the boom would make it 500 hours in the field in that application before the cab interferred with the boom movement. I wouldn't be shocked to see JCB gusset the loader tower. A mulcher weighs in at around 2300lbs.
Every Bobcat sales and factory representative will take a competitor's machine and try to highlight the most insignificant weakness and turn it into a propaganda money maker for them, just like ASV did for their patented track system versus the steel and rubber system.
Everything is just a pissing match now.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96