Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-12-2011, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

truck?

currently i have a 98 silverado extended cab RWD with 83,000miles and in good condition. i am looking for opinions and insight! i want, but dont really need a 2011 brand new silverado crew cab z71 4x4. i want to get this obviously because it is nice and shiny lol but also for the 4x4 when i do snowblowing in the winter with my 3 commercial blowers. also in 2-3 yrs i will be graduating from college with a degree in finance and real estate so i will need the full 4 doors for showing houses in real estate and continuing in this business. i would sell my current truck because am afraid expensive things will go wrong in the not so distant future (its 12 yrs old) and can afford this new one no problem. i just really want to see what you guys think?
i really appreciate the insight and help!
Old 06-13-2011, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I thought you were going for your nursing degree?
Old 06-13-2011, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Member

83,000 miles is nothing, I wouldn't worry about big repairs yet.

I have no brand loyalty but my current dream is the new Ford F-150's with the eco-tech 6 cylinder.

BUT...

Dodge is offering crazy deals on the Rams right now, If I was truck shopping I would get a Dodge. Plus I really like the new body style. Dodge has really improved their game with the newer design.

I grew up a Chevy guy, but my last few trucks have not been Chevy because of huge price tag. They think their trucks are worth gold. And I hate the way they ride.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Member

I would personally never buy a brand new vehicle considering the drop in value as soon as you sign the papers. You should be able to find a newer truck with low mileage for much cheaper. If you are needing power go diesel. Yes, it does cost more upfront, but it will last and last if taken care of. You also do not have to worry about maintenance as often. I know our 6.0 diesel only has to have the oil changed every 7,500 miles and a fuel filter every 22,500.
Echo PE-200 Edger
Echo PB-500T Blower
Echo PB-770T Blower
16' Tandem Trailer
Multiple Hand Tools
Old 06-13-2011, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Member

But the oil change for a diesel costs $80-90 compared to $30 for a gas truck. The fuel filter is $23-30. They tires are more expensive, parts cost more, fuel cost more, insurance costs more etc.

Anyone that tells you they regulatory get 22mpg out of the truck is a liar.

Dont get me wrong I LOVED my diesel truck but the cost of ownership is much higher. Unless you are towing VERY heavy loads VERY often a diesel is not worth the added cost. Especially when gas trucks keep increasing there tow ratings and gas mileage.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyFarmLandscaping View Post
I thought you were going for your nursing degree?
i was but recently changed. i have always had real estate in the back of my mind and as time went by i couldn't see myself being happy nursing...and besides am shooting for owning multiple businesses and being a multi-millionaire!
Old 06-13-2011, 02:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_boy02 View Post
83,000 miles is nothing, I wouldn't worry about big repairs yet.

I have no brand loyalty but my current dream is the new Ford F-150's with the eco-tech 6 cylinder.

BUT...

Dodge is offering crazy deals on the Rams right now, If I was truck shopping I would get a Dodge. Plus I really like the new body style. Dodge has really improved their game with the newer design.

I grew up a Chevy guy, but my last few trucks have not been Chevy because of huge price tag. They think their trucks are worth gold. And I hate the way they ride.
is dodge truely built better now? with more quality and less stuff breaking on them all the time? i thought i heard they are much better now but i wasnt sure
Old 06-13-2011, 02:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvaughn7 View Post
I would personally never buy a brand new vehicle considering the drop in value as soon as you sign the papers. You should be able to find a newer truck with low mileage for much cheaper. If you are needing power go diesel. Yes, it does cost more upfront, but it will last and last if taken care of. You also do not have to worry about maintenance as often. I know our 6.0 diesel only has to have the oil changed every 7,500 miles and a fuel filter every 22,500.
i have owned alot of different recreational vehicals, boats, a jeep and this truck...all purchased used and i have done this because of better pricing. my reason for wanting new is to have the full warranty and know that it is taken care of by me and has never been misused by someone else;not that i have ever had a problem like this from other buys. i also want new because i want this to be a truck i will keep for a very long time. i have no need for a diesel.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Member

In the 3 years I had my Dodge I never had a single issue. I wouldnt hesitate to buy another.

I have owned trucks from all of the big 3 and the only one I ever had a major failure on was the Chevy. I think think they are all pretty even in quality these days.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My dodge diesel oil change is no where near 80-90 bucks...3 gallons of Rotella and an oem oil filter is just under 50 bucks, only gets done about every 7,000 miles so it comes out to dam near exactly the same price as gasser oil changes. Fuel filter every couple oil changes and I think the oem replacement was like 20 bucks. I just had to do alot of front end work but the truck is just coming up on 100k, I bought it used a year ago so dont know the prior use, and now Im good on front end parts for as long as I will own the truck.

You know you can buy used and still get the full warranty right? Go right now and check on ebay. I guarantee you can find a brand new (almost) z71 for $10,000 less than new with very few miles on there. Find somene that was dumb enof to pay $40k for a new z71 and only drove it for a year. Lots of people buy brand new trucks every year so it makes good deals on clean trucks for ppl. that buy used. I can see you wanting a nice shiny truck for the real estate biz, but in lawncare not so much.