Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-13-2011, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Zero turn questions

- For commercial purpose only (Shell, Mcdonalds, Taco Bell sort of contract) which deck size would be the more fonctionnal and productive. I am looking at a 52" or 61" deck size. I want the right deck size, which one would be a sure bet?

- I am currently doing business with a Ferris Dealer. They offer me 2 different category of zero turn which are the IS500 and the IS1500. Does the IS500 is a commercial grade zero turn? Do the IS1500 worth the 1500$-2000$ investment?

- In my town, there is a Toro, a Ferris, a Ariens, a Gravely dealer. Is there in those brands AN ABSOLUTE MOST 52" OR 61" zero turn?
Old 06-13-2011, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i would think a 61" would be too big...at least here...all the commercial lots here have ditches and stuff and aren't really that big...alot of people do them with pushmowers...that's how small they are here.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Probably a couple good string trimmers, an edger, a good shrub trimmer and a good back pack blower should be about all you would need if the fast food joints are like the ones around here.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Member

48" or 52" would be a better pick in this case?
Old 06-13-2011, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_a_beginner View Post
48" or 52" would be a better pick in this case?
I'm not terribly far away from you. Not being in any city environment here (which you may be), the biggest I would need for those accounts around here would be a 48. It really just depends on what the yards look like... If it's a lot of narrow areas and it looks like it'd be overkill for a 52 and even more of a pain in the butt to turn a 60 around, than it probably will be. IMHO

Esp. if you're just starting out....(and I'm only assuming this from your user name lol) a 48 or even 36 is a good, comfortable size and can still be quite productive for you in the meantime until you learn what larger sizes are more helpful and where. You might even look into a Walkbehind mower with a Velke/Sulky or a Pro-Plate if you do go with a smaller deck and you don't have your heart set on a ZTR yet.

Last edited by Tofutti; 06-13-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Ferris IS1500Z 48" deck would be the best choice for you. 26hp Kawi V-twin + ICD deck = Flawless cut, powerful, and good fuel economy.

Most importantly: You can't beat a Ferris
Old 06-13-2011, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofutti View Post
I'm not terribly far away from you. Not being in any city environment here (which you may be), the biggest I would need for those accounts around here would be a 48. It really just depends on what the yards look like... If it's a lot of narrow areas and it looks like it'd be overkill for a 52 and even more of a pain in the butt to turn a 60 around, than it probably will be. IMHO

Esp. if you're just starting out....(and I'm only assuming this from your user name lol) a 48 or even 36 is a good, comfortable size and can still be quite productive for you in the meantime until you learn what larger sizes are more helpful and where. You might even look into a Walkbehind mower with a Velke/Sulky or a Pro-Plate if you do go with a smaller deck and you don't have your heart set on a ZTR yet.
If the OP is doing a lot of fast food/gas stations a walk behind with Sulky wouldnt be much use. There is generally a lot of long sweeping curves with dead ends at these types of places, as well as large curbs to hop on and off of. No place for a Sulky.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Km81 View Post
If the OP is doing a lot of fast food/gas stations a walk behind with Sulky wouldnt be much use. There is generally a lot of long sweeping curves with dead ends at these types of places, as well as large curbs to hop on and off of. No place for a Sulky.
Good point. Maybe the walkbehind would be the better bet indeed, being able to hop obstacles easier than a ZTR. This is why I also mentioned a WB with a Pro-plate/ProSlide setup. Here.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

That link shows where/how to order it, but it doesn't show the real benefit of it.
This thing will virtually disappear under the machine as soon as you back up (if turning around and whatnot). Very handy for tight spots.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Wright Stander RH w/36" deck and one push mower would cut these props efficiently.
21" Craftsman push
AH230 Shindaiwa Long Shaft Hedge Trimmer
AHS242 Shindaiwa Short Shaft Hedge Trimmer
Two Stihl BR600 Backpack Blowers
Two Stihl FS80R Grass Trimmers
SG20 Stihl Sprayer
Numerous Handtools
36" Wright Stander(Sold)