Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-13-2011, 06:56 PM
I_am_a_beginner's Avatar
I_am_a_beginner I_am_a_beginner is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 194
Zero turn questions

- For commercial purpose only (Shell, Mcdonalds, Taco Bell sort of contract) which deck size would be the more fonctionnal and productive. I am looking at a 52" or 61" deck size. I want the right deck size, which one would be a sure bet?

- I am currently doing business with a Ferris Dealer. They offer me 2 different category of zero turn which are the IS500 and the IS1500. Does the IS500 is a commercial grade zero turn? Do the IS1500 worth the 1500$-2000$ investment?

- In my town, there is a Toro, a Ferris, a Ariens, a Gravely dealer. Is there in those brands AN ABSOLUTE MOST 52" OR 61" zero turn?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-13-2011, 07:08 PM
weeze's Avatar
weeze weeze is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: weezertonfieldville, AL
Posts: 5,402
i would think a 61" would be too big...at least here...all the commercial lots here have ditches and stuff and aren't really that big...alot of people do them with pushmowers...that's how small they are here.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-13-2011, 07:22 PM
SLMGT's Avatar
SLMGT SLMGT is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Savannah, Ga
Posts: 244
Probably a couple good string trimmers, an edger, a good shrub trimmer and a good back pack blower should be about all you would need if the fast food joints are like the ones around here.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-13-2011, 08:28 PM
I_am_a_beginner's Avatar
I_am_a_beginner I_am_a_beginner is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 194
48" or 52" would be a better pick in this case?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-13-2011, 08:33 PM
Tofutti Tofutti is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Stowe, Vermont
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_a_beginner View Post
48" or 52" would be a better pick in this case?
I'm not terribly far away from you. Not being in any city environment here (which you may be), the biggest I would need for those accounts around here would be a 48. It really just depends on what the yards look like... If it's a lot of narrow areas and it looks like it'd be overkill for a 52 and even more of a pain in the butt to turn a 60 around, than it probably will be. IMHO

Esp. if you're just starting out....(and I'm only assuming this from your user name lol) a 48 or even 36 is a good, comfortable size and can still be quite productive for you in the meantime until you learn what larger sizes are more helpful and where. You might even look into a Walkbehind mower with a Velke/Sulky or a Pro-Plate if you do go with a smaller deck and you don't have your heart set on a ZTR yet.

Last edited by Tofutti; 06-13-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-13-2011, 09:32 PM
Km81 Km81 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 62
Ferris IS1500Z 48" deck would be the best choice for you. 26hp Kawi V-twin + ICD deck = Flawless cut, powerful, and good fuel economy.

Most importantly: You can't beat a Ferris
__________________
Your post count on LawnSite.com does not reflect your business know how nor experience level.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-13-2011, 09:56 PM
Km81 Km81 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofutti View Post
I'm not terribly far away from you. Not being in any city environment here (which you may be), the biggest I would need for those accounts around here would be a 48. It really just depends on what the yards look like... If it's a lot of narrow areas and it looks like it'd be overkill for a 52 and even more of a pain in the butt to turn a 60 around, than it probably will be. IMHO

Esp. if you're just starting out....(and I'm only assuming this from your user name lol) a 48 or even 36 is a good, comfortable size and can still be quite productive for you in the meantime until you learn what larger sizes are more helpful and where. You might even look into a Walkbehind mower with a Velke/Sulky or a Pro-Plate if you do go with a smaller deck and you don't have your heart set on a ZTR yet.
If the OP is doing a lot of fast food/gas stations a walk behind with Sulky wouldnt be much use. There is generally a lot of long sweeping curves with dead ends at these types of places, as well as large curbs to hop on and off of. No place for a Sulky.
__________________
Your post count on LawnSite.com does not reflect your business know how nor experience level.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-13-2011, 10:04 PM
Tofutti Tofutti is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Stowe, Vermont
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Km81 View Post
If the OP is doing a lot of fast food/gas stations a walk behind with Sulky wouldnt be much use. There is generally a lot of long sweeping curves with dead ends at these types of places, as well as large curbs to hop on and off of. No place for a Sulky.
Good point. Maybe the walkbehind would be the better bet indeed, being able to hop obstacles easier than a ZTR. This is why I also mentioned a WB with a Pro-plate/ProSlide setup. Here.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-13-2011, 10:08 PM
Tofutti Tofutti is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Stowe, Vermont
Posts: 100
That link shows where/how to order it, but it doesn't show the real benefit of it.
This thing will virtually disappear under the machine as soon as you back up (if turning around and whatnot). Very handy for tight spots.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-13-2011, 10:33 PM
Bagit's Avatar
Bagit Bagit is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: virginia
Posts: 200
Wright Stander RH w/36" deck and one push mower would cut these props efficiently.
__________________
01 F150
6.5'X10' High Side Trailer
Gravely Pro-Turn 152 XDZ
21" Craftsman push
AH230 Shindaiwa Long Shaft Hedge Trimmer
AHS242 Shindaiwa Short Shaft Hedge Trimmer
Two Stihl BR600 Backpack Blowers
Two Stihl FS80R Grass Trimmers
SG20 Stihl Sprayer
Numerous Handtools
36" Wright Stander(Sold)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:58 PM.

Page generated in 0.09654 seconds with 7 queries