Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-14-2011, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Problem with tomato garden

Didn't know where else to put this as it don't fall under lawn care.

Having some major issue's with the tomatoes in garden, seems like overnight 40 plants up and welted and no particular reason and its hit/miss? One weltered and one right next to it 1 foot away still doing fine.

First thought was herbicide drift as I got myself into trouble with this a few years back so I now know better. Sunday evening I sprayed some acorns that have popped up into tree's in the front yard (100 feet away from garden). I waited till late evening when the winds were calm, used low pressure and put LI700 in the mix as a drift control so I don't believe the 2,4-D was the culprit here. Besides, its to sporadic not every plant. Besides, herbicide drift would have the leaf's rolled up, my whole vine just went limp.

(pics attached)

Second thought was I over fertilized (not my choice) I put Osmocote around the plants when I set them out. That was enough to last 3 months but "someone kept griping at me to put triple 10 around them so I did (Last Thursday) and the following Monday was when they started welting?
Still unsure if this is whats wrong?

Third, I have done a little research online, looks more like a fungus based on THIS:
Quote:
Bacterial Wilt Southern bacterial wilt attacks the tomato plant at the base, causing rapid collapse and death of the entire plant. Cut through the stem and note a dark water-soaked center or even a hollow stem. The cause of this bacterial wilt is Pseudomonas solanacearum, according to the University of Tennessee Extension Service.
We pulled one of the plants up and cut the stem off near the bottom and sure enough its hollow????

Any more idea's anyone?
Thanks in advance

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 06-14-2011, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You could also call your local extension service.

Tomatoes have always been tough for me to grow. Some places, they grow perfect w/ no care except for water.

Right now, I have blossom end rot on my tomatoes and am trying to treat it.
Last year, I had beautiful plants, but it did not produce a decent tomato.

I assume you are watering really well every night. My tomatoes look wilted each night since they are in pots this year. A little water and the look good again.
If you miss a day, it could be causing the wilting.

It could also be the bacterial wilt. I do not know too much about this disease since I never dealt with it
Old 06-14-2011, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You might have cutworms. I don't see anything protecting the base of those plants.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
You might have cutworms. I don't see anything protecting the base of those plants.
Yea we thought of that also, we've had the cutworm problem in the past but a little trick we've found and seems to work; put two nails down beside the stalk, one on each side of the stalk. Needs to be a finishing nail with no head so it can go right up against the stalk. The cutworm can't go around the plant then

Talked with the lady at the extension office today, she wants some of the plants and to see them and if cannot identify it going to have them sent off for testing. Thing is with our extension office they don't know so "herb drift" is a great place to point the finger as they did three years ago. Not saying it wasn't the case three years back it very well could have been I was ripe and spraying mid day with no drift control and don't even remember if there was wind blowing. When I mentioned the night before I had sprayed 2,4-D she automatically said "now I think we found your problem"

Then I told her I had experienced spraying herbicides and knew to spay late evening, low volume and used a drift control agent to prevent drift well she changed her tune

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 06-15-2011, 05:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

blight........
Old 06-15-2011, 06:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
blight........
http://gardening.about.com/od/vegeta...toProblems.htm
Old 06-15-2011, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hot and sunny and airy and keeping the foliage from getting wet and a good occassional soaking, then hilling up around the stem with clean soil and soaking the ground around it...

Those are important preventatives against disease along with resistant varieties and that the best you can do... ifthe disease hits, it is best to destroy the plants and start over in a new location... diseases can stay in an area that has the diseased plants much longer...
Old 06-15-2011, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Hot and sunny and airy and keeping the foliage from getting wet and a good occassional soaking, then hilling up around the stem with clean soil and soaking the ground around it...

Those are important preventatives against disease along with resistant varieties and that the best you can do... ifthe disease hits, it is best to destroy the plants and start over in a new location... diseases can stay in an area that has the diseased plants much longer...
Ok, question
Is this anything related to brown patch pathegon that you see in grass?

The reason I ask is because I now know the fungus for brown patch stays in the soil as well. I trucked in three tri-axle loads of top soil when I landscaped for the yard. Thats where I believe the fungus came from and guess where the left over top soil went

Yep, the garden

Then God created Women
Old 06-15-2011, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am not sure why extension offices always push 'herb drift' When I call them about a problem, they immed. say its herb drift and send me a whole bunch of links about it.

I highly doubt it is herb drift in this case unless you got right up on the plants or used a the same sprayer to spray some fungicide, blossom end rot, etc. on the tomatoes.

That does not look like cutworms either. You would be able to pick those fatties off the plant if you looked close enough and I do not see limbs half gone.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will P.C. View Post
I am not sure why extension offices always push 'herb drift' When I call them about a problem, they immed. say its herb drift and send me a whole bunch of links about it.

I highly doubt it is herb drift in this case unless you got right up on the plants or used a the same sprayer to spray some fungicide, blossom end rot, etc. on the tomatoes.

That does not look like cutworms either. You would be able to pick those fatties off the plant if you looked close enough and I do not see limbs half gone.
I though it was just my extension office singling out herb drift; sounds like its a common finger pointing diagnoses everywhere?

We'll I pulled up 42 plants last night so I could get an idea if its spreading; it is. I just got home and took a walk and looks like I have another 10 to pull up.

Then God created Women