Old 06-24-2011, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Give this a read:
https://utextension.tennessee.edu/gr...l%20Manual.pdf
Old 06-24-2011, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlmaroad View Post
Thanks Roy, now the question becomes where do I find the Calcium Nitrate and as for the high phosphate fertilize you have a name?

I'll be running to the Co-Op ASAP soon as I know what to ask for

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 06-24-2011, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

OK, so epson salt for the Calcium Nitrate?

Someone at the farmers market told us that last year.

So is epson salt what you mean?

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 06-24-2011, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Joe, I was at the Southern Ag in Hendersonville and ask a guy in there that see almost everything. He said that Southern Blight could be handled with "Calcium Nitrate" and to bring them back to use a high phosphate fertilize to get the roots going. Might be worth trying. I told him that you pulled up 40 or so.
Take a look at this also; this work?

http://www.southernstates.com/catalo...phosphate.aspx

Then God created Women
Old 06-24-2011, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't know where he got his info, but Epsom salts is magnesium sulfate. It was a common use to induce abortions way back. Calcium nitrate is nitrogen source.

I'm close to Southern AG and get these there but if you're having trouble finding locally; Use this link for both: http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_1db6ukbr84_b

That triple phosphate is great for any blooming plant; especially daylillies and other big flowering plants. It is about the only way to get a Wisteria to produce those beautiful chains of flowers in the spring.

The added phosphate also helps out root re-growth.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Don't know where he got his info, but Epsom salts is magnesium sulfate. It was a common use to induce abortions way back. Calcium nitrate is nitrogen source.

I'm close to Southern AG and get these there but if you're having trouble finding locally; Use this link for both: http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_1db6ukbr84_b

That triple phosphate is great for any blooming plant; especially daylillies and other big flowering plants. It is about the only way to get a Wisteria to produce those beautiful chains of flowers in the spring.

The added phosphate also helps out root re-growth.
Some farmer last spring at the farmers market told us about using epson salt as a fertilizer; we bought a bag and it's still not open

A store by the name of Stockdales just opened here, its like a Co-Op only 5 times the size and has all kind of good toys and products so I'm going to head over there tomorrow morning and look for these.

Now I assume I need a bag of each right?
One of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Bonide-969-Tri...8964823&sr=1-5
and one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Calcium-Nitrat...8965031&sr=1-1

Work both into the soil or just sprinkle around the ground around the plants?

Thanks again Roy, you've been a life saver more then once

EDIT:
Or is this better?
http://www.amazon.com/Calcium-Nitrat...8965461&sr=1-2

Then God created Women
Old 06-25-2011, 04:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've only used some of the triple phosphate on Bougainvillea, Clematis, and other heavy feeders...Calcium Nitrate is new to me and will have to do a little looking. However the
mineral make up shouldn't be hard to understand. Read the UT findings and label and make a decision. For some reason I though Calcium Nitrate was a soluble product.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Roy,

Calcium nitrate is a soluble product. I sometimes need to play rock-paper-scissors for calcium nitrate here. The vegetable growers do use this. I need it because it is a soil corrective for low calcium soils. In tomatoes, calcium deficiency will result in a loss of the crop. Other vegetables are the same way.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 06-25-2011, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Roy,

Calcium nitrate is a soluble product. I sometimes need to play rock-paper-scissors for calcium nitrate here. The vegetable growers do use this. I need it because it is a soil corrective for low calcium soils. In tomatoes, calcium deficiency will result in a loss of the crop. Other vegetables are the same way.
It is, I have a better idea now how to mix and what I'm doing since I had some time to sit down and google, read and research.

http://www.southernag.com/docs/labels_msds/calci.pdf

also see both links I posted above are to the same product just a HUGE price difference.

A new place in town just opened called Scotsdales, I was in it last week and the place is huge and carries a lot of this stuff so with any luck they will have this on hand and I can get it out on the plants this afternoon.

Thanks guys

Then God created Women
Old 06-28-2011, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hey got a question for you all.

A couple of you have mentioned rotating the crops; ok maybe I am and I really haven't thought about it being such as we get two crops a year off the same land

Beans go first, then the tomatoes and that area is workable by mid August at which time it gets planted in turnip greens and turnips which last till the first hard freeze; usually January.

Does that count as rotating?

Then God created Women