Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-15-2011, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Adding hose length to sprayer wand

My sprayer came with 15' of hose for the gun. I want at least 25'.

Is that enough (in your experiences)? Is hose......hose?

Thanks.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Vencops
I believe you can lengthen your hose with no problems. To be safe I would check how much volume you get per minute and check the pressure before and, then check after the change. As always calibrate and make any adjustments needed to apply per the label. I have a spot sprayer for Gly that is in the pick up. I use for parking lots. I have about 75 foot of hose on there and have had as much as 125 feet and had no problems. But as you know Gly is for total kill.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's all this'll be used for (gly). It's a 3.8gpm pump. I'm guessing I'll lose some pressure at the gun. But, I don't know if that's important (or not?). I've got my place here; my in-laws; and 2 industrial sites I service that I could use it on. I bought the unit to spray my food plots (traditional bowhunter).

Speaking of calibrating, I have a total noob question....

If we're JUST talking gly.....and, they give me the rate of 2% to shoot for.....is calibration even necessary (for boom spraying)? I ran water through it, tonight, on my driveway.....trying to get an idea of how much is applied at differing speeds. Being totally new to all this, I was surprised at how slow I had to go to get what "I" feel like is adequate coverage. Now, again...I could be wrong (easily). But, at anything over a crawl, I don't see even my unit (which was pretty much the top of the line ATV unit) being precise enough (at least with the tips that come with it) to utilize on the type of residential properties I service (for chem. apps.). IF I get into this game, I'll invest in a spreader/sprayer. I'll know, next week (hopefully), if it's in my cards.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I only spot spray with Gly at my parking lots. I go through the lots every 4-6 weeks. Retail accounts, that is why I just spot spray. I also use a back pack sprayer doing the same thing. I know there are guys that use the booms but to me there is way too many things that could go wrong. I prefer staying small and stealthy. Also I am not spraying where there are no weeds. With a boom and gly, I am afraid of drift. In and out. I use1 qt per 10 gals. water. As long as it the leaf gets wet it will kill it. I also do the outer edges of the lots / side walks and often there are larger weeds and grasses. I called the folks at Round up and that is what they suggested for my needs. It works well for all of my applications.

I too just got my licensed recently. I went and bought a used Permagreen and have just used around our home and family. I have much to learn with it. I have it calibrated and have only ran 12 gals of fluid through it. Before I go out and apply, I want to make certain that I am correct. So far around the house with just a little 2-4-d the broad leaf is fading fast and the grass is still growing. Nothing killed but what my goal was. I have also spread some weed and feed in a few spots. I am in no hurry to get out there. I like you am going to continue my education process before I get out on some one else's turf.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm in the same boat, Geb. Thanks for the replies. I'm looking (online) at the Cub Cadet XP (if I get into this with vigor). Like you, MY lawn will be my litmus test(s).

I have one industrial site that's unihabited....and, the owners want to keep maintenance costs down. So, they're asking me to gly. the very little grass that's there. They're commercial developers, only looking to develop the site for rest/hotel/etc. clients. It only has to look "presentable". That (and my food plots) is the only apps. I see for the boom.

Thanks, again.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have read some reviews on the Cub unit. They were favorable. As mentioned I still have much to learn. If me doing those lots use low pressure and keep your droplet size large, if possible for less chance for drift. Have fun !!
Old 06-16-2011, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vencops View Post
That's all this'll be used for (gly). It's a 3.8gpm pump. I'm guessing I'll lose some pressure at the gun. But, I don't know if that's important (or not?). I've got my place here; my in-laws; and 2 industrial sites I service that I could use it on. I bought the unit to spray my food plots (traditional bowhunter).

Speaking of calibrating, I have a total noob question....

If we're JUST talking gly.....and, they give me the rate of 2% to shoot for.....is calibration even necessary (for boom spraying)? I ran water through it, tonight, on my driveway.....trying to get an idea of how much is applied at differing speeds. Being totally new to all this, I was surprised at how slow I had to go to get what "I" feel like is adequate coverage. Now, again...I could be wrong (easily). But, at anything over a crawl, I don't see even my unit (which was pretty much the top of the line ATV unit) being precise enough (at least with the tips that come with it) to utilize on the type of residential properties I service (for chem. apps.). IF I get into this game, I'll invest in a spreader/sprayer. I'll know, next week (hopefully), if it's in my cards.
Ven

I use a 12V 2.1 GPM pump and push 300 feet of hose for spraying Glyphosate. I am using both a long wand and a Gun which I interchange with fast snaps couplings. My gun is a standard pressure washer gun with the fast snap interchangable nozzles for a pressure washer. My favorite spot spray nozzles is a 25 degrees @ 5.5 Gpm rated at 1500 psi. At 60 psi I am actually only getting about a gallon a minute out of it. I use this rig for both Aquatic work and turf burn outs for landscapers.

Bottom line is those little 12V are better than people what to give credit.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.Ē John Wayne.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I hear ya, Ric. I used mine for 4 hours, today. The wand/hose thing got handled quickly. I caught the hose under a wheel and broke the wand that came with it. I left for lunch and bought a new (pretty darned nice one, too) sprayer wand and a 25' section of hose.

Saved me a LOT of work.

The boom sprayer did great (at least I think it did). I'll know for sure in about a week....lol.

Thanks again, guys.