Register free!

Old 07-02-2011, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Is the soil contaminated? If so to what degree? Can one replant a spruce? Is there another conifer that would be less risk? Austrian pine? Balsam fir? Arbor vitae? Concolor fir?

I am thinking it would be wise to take a few soil samples, maybe 2 inches, 6 inches and 12 inches deep. Plant something sensitive in the soil in flower pots. Say cucumber, beans or tomatoes. Observe the results after 10 days. Compare with clean soil.

Does anyboy have access to spruce seeds or tiny spruce trees? White pine?

Perhaps mix soil samples with water, filter out the soil and spray the (possibly contaminated with Imprelis) water on tomato plants. Or spruce trees.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
So much for our sales rebuttal of saying these products go through years of rigorous testing before they are approved by the EPA. That line has just lost alot of credibility.
That's what is the kicker. The EPA, Chem companies, and even Universities just lost a lot of credibility. If they've done all the research they claim then why wasn't this ever discovered.

What I don't get about this story is that Imprelis was field tested in the Chicago area at least a year before it's release. I don't understand why none of these issues appeared then. Being in Central Illinois, we've had more than ample rain the the last 3 years with maybe one dry period late last summer.

The only rational reasoning to that is maybe, just maybe the imprelis batches that were released this year were contaminated. DuPont makes at least two other Carboxylic Acid herbicides that aren't approved for residential use as far as I understand through my digging....... One of them for road-side use that is supposed to control woody type weeds.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Member

imprellis

there is a lot of concern about this product im not taking anyone side with this situation cause it could be the product and it could be loader applicator error. i could go on about the pro and con of herbicide. I am a ceritified arborist with 12 yrs experience and own my own tree and lawn care company. Im just saying there is going to be alot of finger pointing both ways. wrong labeling not enough testing, applicator mixing too strong applying in wrong areas applying to much. its a sticky situation. one thing i hope every has learned from this product is to not trust new products unless they have been out for at least a year or two.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by arborist View Post
there is a lot of concern about this product im not taking anyone side with this situation cause it could be the product and it could be loader applicator error. i could go on about the pro and con of herbicide. I am a ceritified arborist with 12 yrs experience and own my own tree and lawn care company. Im just saying there is going to be alot of finger pointing both ways. wrong labeling not enough testing, applicator mixing too strong applying in wrong areas applying to much. its a sticky situation. one thing i hope every has learned from this product is to not trust new products unless they have been out for at least a year or two.
Hindsight is 20/20 man.....
No one is faulted for trying an approved product ready for turfgrass use. How can it be anyone's fault for wanting to give a product a try?
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 07-03-2011, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You better be able to convince everyone that you had your equipment calibrated. And applied the proper amount. If Dupont claims there is no injury when the correct amount is applied--the ball is back in your court. Are you licensed? Do you have records of calibration? Fillchart? Did you spray any exposed roots?
Is there any way to prove you used the correct amount? And followed the label?
Old 07-04-2011, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
You better be able to convince everyone that you had your equipment calibrated. And applied the proper amount. If Dupont claims there is no injury when the correct amount is applied--the ball is back in your court. Are you licensed? Do you have records of calibration? Fillchart? Did you spray any exposed roots?
Is there any way to prove you used the correct amount? And followed the label?
Same goes for Dupont...How can they prove that it wasn't't. Bottom line this is not a couple of reports of damage. This goes all they way from Kansas to Pennsylvania. Hundreds of Companies are reporting damage. If they try to blame it on applicators they will be hung out to dry. Media, Lawyers, Suppliers. Its in their best interest to handle this to avoid whiplash. Probably will anyway.
This could easily turn into a class action lawsuit if they don't step up and take responsibility
Old 07-04-2011, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

There is no way Dupont can point fingers IMO

If there was a few cases here and there I could see them placing blame

But to say every lco that purchased the product misapplied that would b bogus

Dupont is soooooo large that this won't even b a blip on the radar map even if they have to pay out to everyone.

I bet lawncare is less then 1% of their market just guessing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-04-2011, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i think they are gonna play it smart, i have yet to get the details of what the rep told my dad when he came here(i was tied up in the field so could not meet personally), but i will post when i get them.

what rabbit says goes though, they cant run or fib their way outta this one. no chance
Old 07-04-2011, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
i think they are gonna play it smart, i have yet to get the details of what the rep told my dad when he came here(i was tied up in the field so could not meet personally), but i will post when i get them.

what rabbit says goes though, they cant run or fib their way outta this one. no chance
But it may be just as hard to disprove anything as well..The weather we had this Spring was extraordinarilly wet. There are articles everywhere with the weather playing havoc on Spruce/Pine.

Colorado blue spruce trees latest casualty of wet spring

Article

Dupont will do anything and everything to disprove Imprelis hurt anything. Just saying..
Old 07-04-2011, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi J. View Post
But it may be just as hard to disprove anything as well..The weather we had this Spring was extraordinarilly wet. There are articles everywhere with the weather playing havoc on Spruce/Pine.

Colorado blue spruce trees latest casualty of wet spring

Article

Dupont will do anything and everything to disprove Imprelis hurt anything. Just saying..
The article states the symptoms seen are: " lush new growth at branch tips, and dead or absent needles on the rest of the branch."

As far as I know that's completely different from what everyone is seeing with imprelis (new growth curling up and dying). Also it will be hard for them to use that excuse with imprelis since in many cases neighboring properties have the same cultivar of tree and same weather conditions but look perfectly fine while the imprelis property shows dying trees.