LawnSite Member

My trailer i just put sides on today.
Name:  0918011720.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  76.8 KB
Stihl handhelds
Old 09-19-2011, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Alright guys getting close to buying a gravely zt xl 50" with 23 kaw! Its not much but better then what i had!
Stihl handhelds
Old 09-19-2011, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dude...noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Get a commercial unit, whether it be a walk behind or rider!
Old 09-19-2011, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
Dude...noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Get a commercial unit, whether it be a walk behind or rider!
I had a used wb. It was good while it lasted. I want something with a warranty and good dealer support. And gravely is the only good dealer in town. I would get a bigger one but money is a big issue. I have heard of other guys using in commercially, and it lasting, as long as they are the only ones that use it. And i would be. It would at least last a couple seasons until i save enough to buy a bigger one. And i am only doing to the upper 20s, lower 30s/week.
Stihl handhelds
Old 09-19-2011, 01:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dude, listen to yourself....it would at least last a couple of seasons. Do you really want to spend that much on something which is essentially disposable. Does your dealer really have to be in town?

I suggest you start seperate post about this and see what the guys and gals have to say.

Can't you just plop a new motor in your walk behind?
Old 09-19-2011, 02:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Dude, listen to yourself....it would at least last a couple of seasons. Do you really want to spend that much on something which is essentially disposable. Does your dealer really have to be in town?

I suggest you start seperate post about this and see what the guys and gals have to say.

Can't you just plop a new motor in your walk behind?
My wb didnt even last me one season so a couple is better than not even one. And who knows how long it would last. I wouldnt abuse it and i would service it when needed. When doing that it should AT LEAST, last a couple seasons with the amount of lawns i do. To put a new motor in the wb would cost about as much as the mower itself. And the nearest dealers besides in my town are 45 miles away and if im in a tight spot, i would like something fast. I use to work at the grocery store attached to ace(the dealer), and know them pretty good. I buy my push mowers and handhelds from there and they treat me really well so i would like to stick with them. So do you not think the gravely would be a good match?
Stihl handhelds
Old 09-19-2011, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Can you step up to the HD model at least? I think it's a mistake to buy a homeowner unit to do commercial work. They're still pretty pricey but just aren't built to stand up to the day to day rigors of mowing. Resale value is going to be low and maintenace costs will likely be high. The cut quality likely won't be up to par with the commercial mowers either. I'm talking about homeowner ZTRs in general here. I have no real knowledge of the Gravely mowers other than the spec sheet. Does that dealer have any used commercial Gravely mowers for sale? I think that would be a better bet.

One thing to keep in mind....warranties are ususally different for homeowner and commercial use. Some equipment isn't warrantied for commercial use at all and it doesn't appear that the ZT XL is. The HD model has a 1 year commercial warranty.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Can you step up to the HD model at least? I think it's a mistake to buy a homeowner unit to do commercial work. They're still pretty pricey but just aren't built to stand up to the day to day rigors of mowing. Resale value is going to be low and maintenace costs will likely be high. The cut quality likely won't be up to par with the commercial mowers either. I'm talking about homeowner ZTRs in general here. I have no real knowledge of the Gravely mowers other than the spec sheet. Does that dealer have any used commercial Gravely mowers for sale? I think that would be a better bet.

One thing to keep in mind....warranties are ususally different for homeowner and commercial use. Some equipment isn't warrantied for commercial use at all and it doesn't appear that the ZT XL is. The HD model has a 1 year commercial warranty.
I like the hd model better and i would love to get it but it is 1000 more. Thats not much more for what you get but Im only 16 and im spending more money then i have already. They are both considers high end residential mowers/ low end commercial. And wouldnt maintenace be cheaper on the zt xl, rather than the zt hd? There might be more but it would take a lot of repairs to equal the 1000 difference in price. And the dealer did have some nice used commercial units for sale, but were gone before i made a decision.

And for the warrenty. I think because I wouldnt be doing many yards, the shop could still use the homeowner warrenty. Im not sure about this but i think i remember talking to the manager about it last year. I would rather have a new high end res. mower, then a used one. I want something to polish every night But i will go to the dealer today and talk prices to them.
Stihl handhelds
Old 09-19-2011, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well the warranty is a big deal. No point in buying a new machine if they won't honor the warranty. When you look at overall cost of overship, I think the homeowner models fail. You have to look at life expectancy, resale value and all that. Personally I'd rather have a used commercial unit than a new homeowner unit.

Have you read the reviews on the machine that are on the Gravely website? People say they love them but seem to have a lot of trouble with them dropping and eating belts, loose hardware etc.

Maybe go with a new commercial walk behind unit with a sulky instead? They can actually be more productive than a ZTR. I have both and I use my WB more than the rider. It is a hydro though...I don't like belt drive WBs. The rider is just used for the big lawns and when I need to do a lot of bagging....I like the rear bagger way better than a catcher.

In the end I know you're going to do what you want to do, but personally I think it would be a mistake.

Good luck!
Old 09-20-2011, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Well the warranty is a big deal. No point in buying a new machine if they won't honor the warranty. When you look at overall cost of overship, I think the homeowner models fail. You have to look at life expectancy, resale value and all that. Personally I'd rather have a used commercial unit than a new homeowner unit.

Have you read the reviews on the machine that are on the Gravely website? People say they love them but seem to have a lot of trouble with them dropping and eating belts, loose hardware etc.

Maybe go with a new commercial walk behind unit with a sulky instead? They can actually be more productive than a ZTR. I have both and I use my WB more than the rider. It is a hydro though...I don't like belt drive WBs. The rider is just used for the big lawns and when I need to do a lot of bagging....I like the rear bagger way better than a catcher.

In the end I know you're going to do what you want to do, but personally I think it would be a mistake.

Good luck!
Well sir, I think i have made my decision. I have talked it over with my banker(dad), and came to the conclusion that the hd model, would in fact be the better choice, and all other options, are out of the question. But first a question on when to buy. I could get the hd for 4000 now, but if i wait until next spring, would it be cheaper because it would be last years model or how does that work?

I would like to thank you for helping talk me and my banker (dad), into not rushing into this and waiting it out. But for now it looks like i wont have me a new mower until next spring.
Stihl handhelds