Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-21-2011, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nice...you gonna get some sort of grass catcher for it? I'm guessing the rear bagger one isn't in the budget at this point. Just a warning...expect to put some divots in your lawns turning at first, so you might want to get some grass seed too, lol.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
Nice...you gonna get some sort of grass catcher for it? I'm guessing the rear bagger one isn't in the budget at this point. Just a warning...expect to put some divots in your lawns turning at first, so you might want to get some grass seed too, lol.
I would like one. Not this season though. I never had one on my last mower and It did just fine. But the rear bagger is a little pricey for me. Im thinking about a grass gobbler. I know they take up alot of room but I think it would do ok with leaves. I do want the chrome rims for it though And I know all about the 3 point turns in ztrs. And not to turn on the concrete. Wears tires down real fast and leave marks Also did you get my PM?
Stihl handhelds
Old 09-21-2011, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No to the PM, I just checked. I only do 3 point turns on thin or soft turf and I turn on ashphalt all the time...it will mark concrete. I actually wore my tires down a little on purpose on asphalt when I first got it...just a little to take the sharp edges off so it would be easier on lawns. 1,150 hours and my tires still look good.

The key to turning a ZTR that a lot of people don't get is to not just pivot on the inside tire. On a healthy lawn that isn't soft/wet, once you get the hang of it you can turn without doing a 3 point. The key is to seperate the sticks so that just as the inside tire is about to stall, you reverse it. Most people basically use one stick, having the inside tire stick centered and then using the outer tire to spin around..that's how you make divots. I practiced on my gravel driveway where I could see scuffs easily.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Well i was wondering what the pitch of the deck is? Is it how level? And I got the mower today! Here are some pics! And I know what you are talking about about the turning. I tried some today
Name:  0922011741.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  187.8 KB
Name:  0922011704.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  155.2 KB
Stihl handhelds
Old 09-22-2011, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

OMG you got it dirty!!!!! LOL, grats on getting it. I think you'll be glad you got the HD. The increased speed alone will pay for the higher price in the long run.

The cut looks nice as does the machine. It has the look of a pro model pretty much. It's no Toro Timecutter, that's for sure.

Don't go messing with the pitch, but you can pull it onto a level surface and check it. The front of the deck should be about 1/4 inch lower than the rear. If they're a good dealer like you said, they should have all the tires inflated properly and the deck set properly. If anything seems wrong call them right away or stop in. It's not uncommon to have some "shakedown" time for a newly assembled mower. Usually any problems are minor (loose hardware/wires, leaking hoses)

I would definitely want some kind of catcher for it. But you have that little rider you can bag with or a 21 if you have to, right? I doubt that you're going to want to be on that thing anymore though. It's such a crude piece of crab compared to your Gravely, no offense, lol.

PS - You did blow off that sidewalk, right?

Last edited by Darryl G; 09-22-2011 at 09:13 PM. Reason: PS
Old 09-22-2011, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
OMG you got it dirty!!!!! LOL, grats on getting it. I think you'll be glad you got the HD. The increased speed alone will pay for the higher price in the long run.

The cut looks nice as does the machine. It has the look of a pro model pretty much. It's no Toro Timecutter, that's for sure.

Don't go messing with the pitch, but you can pull it onto a level surface and check it. The front of the deck should be about 1/4 inch lower than the rear. If they're a good dealer like you said, they should have all the tires inflated properly and the deck set properly. If anything seems wrong call them right away or stop in. It's not uncommon to have some "shakedown" time for a newly assembled mower. Usually any problems are minor (loose hardware/wires, leaking hoses)

I would definitely want some kind of catcher for it. But you have that little rider you can bag with or a 21 if you have to, right? I doubt that you're going to want to be on that thing anymore though. It's such a crude piece of crab compared to your Gravely, no offense, lol.
Yes i did.lol. And I got 6 done in the 2.5 hours i put on it today! And funny you should say that about the time cutter. My dad thought that wa an option And i do like the speed of it....A LOT! It cuts great going 8mph!

And i was just wondering about pitch because i saw someone talking about it and blah blah blah.lol

And i will get a catcher for it probably next season. Which do you recommend? A rear bagger or a accelerator/grass gobbler style?
Stihl handhelds
Old 09-22-2011, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
PS - You did blow off that sidewalk, right?
I see a blower in the pic!

That mower looks Great!! Looks like it does a nice job too!

My E-450 Dovetail Van project thread.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=351062&page=7
Old 09-22-2011, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The rear bagger is one of the best things about having a Z rider but they're not cheap. It sure beats having all the dust, dirt and grass blowing in your face! They hold a lot more and pack a lot better too. I keep the hopper on my mower most of the time so it's there if I need it and it helps with traction a good bit. It only takes me a minute to put on/take off the blower and hose with no tools. They're so much better for fall cleanups. I used a catcher that I already had for my 48 WB until fall came around and I bought the Ultravac for $1,500. I have an Accelerator catcher. I'll still throw it on the rider once in a while but mostly it's for the 48. The Accelerators are nice but come at a price. They are highly recommended, if you can afford them. Too bad you can't get one this fall, at least a catcher. Tell dad it will pay for itself in one season, lol.

How much time did you save over what it usually takes you?
Old 09-22-2011, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander42 View Post
I see a blower in the pic!

That mower looks Great!! Looks like it does a nice job too!
Yes I blew it off. I wasnt even done mowing or trimming. I just had to take the pic or else i would forget. lol
Stihl handhelds
Old 09-22-2011, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
The rear bagger is one of the best things about having a Z rider but they're not cheap. It sure beats having all the dust, dirt and grass blowing in your face! They hold a lot more and pack a lot better too. I keep the hopper on my mower most of the time so it's there if I need it and it helps with traction a good bit. It only takes me a minute to put on/take off the blower and hose with no tools. They're so much better for fall cleanups. I used a catcher that I already had for my 48 WB until fall came around and I bought the Ultravac for $1,500. I have an Accelerator catcher. I'll still throw it on the rider once in a while but mostly it's for the 48. The Accelerators are nice but come at a price. They are highly recommended, if you can afford them. Too bad you can't get one this fall, at least a catcher. Tell dad it will pay for itself in one season, lol.

How much time did you save over what it usually takes you?
Ill look at prices tonight. I still think i will wait though. And even though I went from a 48, to a 48, it saves so much time! A yard that took me 25 mins to mow, to 15! So overall, I LOVE THIS MOWER
Stihl handhelds