Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-15-2011, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfixer View Post
Thanks for all the input. The seller stated they had a local equipment company (the original reseller) provide them with an estimated value approximately 700 above what they are asking. Naturally I figured it best to confirm that, although I suspected it wasn't unreasonable. I know new these priced about $7700. With the low hours and very light use I figured what they are asking is fair. I did check it out last night, that B&S motor sounds nice! I'm not generally a fan of B&S, but I have to admit I was impressed with the way this one sounds.
I don't have any real-world experience with this kind of ZTR mower, but did help a friend one summer with his lawn care business, so I'm pretty good with a walker. (His whole fleet was Scags) so, yeah, the reduction in time was my main interest. I've been cutting that 2 1/2 acres with a 48" Craftsman lawn tractor, and man, it just takes all day. I have to figure I'll be able to polish off my main areas in just a little over an hour with a 61" ZTR rider. Lord, I'm gonna be takin' all KINDS of naps!
The Vanguard engine is a joint venture with Daihatsu and Briggs. I had the same engine on my BadBoy CZT 42" I recently sold. The engine was smooth and plenty of power and as you said, it sound really good!! I do wonder if it may be a bit underpowered for a 60" deck, but I think you would be fine. It would be nice to hear from someone that has owned or owns this machine to get an idea of the power in the tall grass.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
Stihl BG55 handheld blower
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 06-15-2011, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Scag dealer here says they cut small saplings all the time. My dad bought a DR and unless you've used one before you might want to try it first. Those things can be a beast. In fact anything the DR wouldn't be a beast on, the Scag can probably handle.
I would try the Scag first and save my money,or rent a tractor to cut it down the first time. If it's just grass cut it high and take down a little at time and not one big bite all at once.
Stihl FS90R
Shindaiwa EB212 Blower
Stihl MS250
Kubota MX5000
Old 06-16-2011, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I appreciate all the input. The meadows are basically grass. We might get the odd sapling but nothing more than a 1/2" thick I would guess. It's been mowed consistently for the last 8 - 10 years, so it's pretty much just grass/some weeds. Although, it *does* grow generally to about 2' high.

It seems though that life has become a bit more complicated. I just talked to a guy with a (guessing) 2007 Exmark Lazer Z, 27hp with less than 500 hours. Unfortunately he's a couple of hours away, so it'll be a few days before I can get over to look at it. He's only asking 4000, and indicated it's in excellent condition.

Decisions decisions.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I appreciate all the input. The meadows are basically grass. We might get the odd sapling but nothing more than a 1/2" thick I would guess. It's been mowed consistently for the last 8 - 10 years, so it's pretty much just grass/some weeds. Although, it *does* grow generally to about 2' high.

It seems though that life has become a bit more complicated. I just talked to a guy with a (guessing) 2007 Exmark Lazer Z, 27hp with less than 500 hours. Unfortunately he's a couple of hours away, so it'll be a few days before I can get over to look at it. He's only asking 4000, and indicated it's in excellent condition.

Decisions decisions.
The Exmark Lazer Z is probably one of the best machines on the market and also said to have the best cut. The Exmark also has a little more HP and probably a Kawasaki engine, the extra HP could come in handy for your tall grass. Is the ExMark also a 60" deck? It is defiantly worth looking at, this machine sounds like it fits you budget better, I hope it is still there when you go to look at it! Look it over well!
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
Old 06-16-2011, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capemay Eagle View Post
<snip>
Look it over well!
That's probably the statement of the year right there. Is there any advice in that department?

Aside from a general visual inspection, and checking for leaks or wear, is there a way to determine if there are pump/motor issues? (one might presume that would be the biggest concern with one of these) Aside from the "obvious" I mean. Unless one is pretty far gone, it probably won't have any kind of noise, so is there any other way to tell? Anything else specifically to look for?
Old 06-16-2011, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
That's probably the statement of the year right there. Is there any advice in that department?

Aside from a general visual inspection, and checking for leaks or wear, is there a way to determine if there are pump/motor issues? (one might presume that would be the biggest concern with one of these) Aside from the "obvious" I mean. Unless one is pretty far gone, it probably won't have any kind of noise, so is there any other way to tell? Anything else specifically to look for?
Lots of things to check, first check the oil, look at the dip stick for black oil and the oil level, check the air filter, a really dirty air filter may show it was never changed or cleaned, just little things right there to tell you how it has been maintained. Check your belts, spindles for squeaks. Test drive it, listen for clunks, slips, bangs. Listen to the engine, look for smoke, taps. After you run it and shut it off look on the pavement for any fresh drippings. Engage the blades, make sure they engage properly, listen for squeaks, the bearings in the spindles could be bad and the blades will wobble, but not a major problem, but will need to be fixed before you mow. You will know right away if the machine is in good condition. Just cause it says 500 hours, does not mean it really has 500 hours! There may be some things, but you have to remember that it is used and may need a few little things, don't let them be deal breakers! Anything used is a crapshoot. I buy allot of used dirtbikes and street bikes and I have been pretty lucky, but I got burned a couple of times, not major stuff, but hidden things and if I would have looked a little better, I would have found it and defiantly got a better price or have walked. If you also have a friend or know somebody that has a little mechanical knowledge, see if they will go with you, a couple extra eyes would help!! You could alway give a guy a few bucks to help you look it over. Like you said, you really cannot look inside a hydro or tear down the engine, so you just have to look for the signs.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90

Last edited by Capemay Eagle; 06-16-2011 at 06:01 PM.

Tags
brush , review , scag , tiger cub