Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-15-2011, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Downsides to buying above CDL single axel?

I am considering buying a single axel dump truck. I think it would be easier to buy a truck below CDL but it seems you can find good deals on single axels between 26k to 33k. What are the downsides to going with a CDL truck? I have read the thread that talks about the pros/cons of having a CDl cert.

Also, for those with their CDL, where did you go for training? I have heard some say it is pretty easy and you can go to a local shipping company to find someone to give training... any input?
Old 06-15-2011, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The cdl truck has more regulations, hence headache, if you don't need it...You have air brakes that need adjustment all the time, and the state police check that, you need to have apportioned plates depending on your registration situation. You can now effectively be bound by hours of service regulations, and the list goes on. Basically your truck and an over the road tractor trailer will be treated the same, even thought it is the farthest thing from the truth.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Right, I know above CDL you begin to fall under a lot of regulations. Question. Can you buy a single axel that is rated to 33k and then only weight it for 26k to get under the CDL? I talked to one guy who seemed to think you could but he was a salesman so I took it with a grain of salt.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1toomanyhobbies View Post
Right, I know above CDL you begin to fall under a lot of regulations. Question. Can you buy a single axel that is rated to 33k and then only weight it for 26k to get under the CDL? I talked to one guy who seemed to think you could but he was a salesman so I took it with a grain of salt.
I believe you can do this in some states. I know with my f350 it was de-rated to save on registration tax after my friend did it to his I saved like 40 bucks a year. I think the biggest thing I towed was a jet ski with it when I had it like that for a few years. I have a class A but I got it for free working for the power company. I believe you can go take the written test and get your permit to drive with a CDL license person as a passenger. As for getting to take the road test you can just go down there with your permit and take the test. The state has trucks they use for testing I believe here in Sarasota. You don't need x amount of hours of training to get it.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
you can sticker it for anything you want,BUT when you get stopped they are going to look at the sticker on the door and go by that.

join us on FACEBOOK www.facebook.com/ClarkLawnMaint
Old 06-20-2011, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-22-2011, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I have in the past but the problem with that is you are losing so much weight carrying capacity, might as well just use a smaller truck(like 450/550).
Old 06-22-2011, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuvecorp View Post
I have in the past but the problem with that is you are losing so much weight carrying capacity, might as well just use a smaller truck(like 450/550).
Good point. After doing some research I learned that to legally tow 10k I need a CDL anyway so I have accepted that I need to go ahead and get mine. Its funny what you can learn.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Good point. After doing some research I learned that to legally tow 10k I need a CDL anyway so I have accepted that I need to go ahead and get mine. Its funny what you can learn.
You don't need a CDL to tow 10k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster View Post
You don't need a CDL to tow 10k.
thats almost true .......you can tow over 10k when is a boat or camper , stuff like that cause thats personal ...........if your out with a truck thats got lawn movers on it or a skid steer on it , hence making money , thats what puts you in CDL land.....

one of the landscapers around here got stopped with his f450 dump ,trailer in tow with a jd 110 backhoe on it and he got put out of service cause the driver didnt have his CDL , i know all this cause my friend is the one that had to go get the truck for him off the side of the road , and the above statement is what the trooper told him