Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-03-2011, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking Good Lawn Service View Post
The cdl truck has more regulations, hence headache, if you don't need it...You have air brakes that need adjustment all the time, and the state police check that, you need to have apportioned plates depending on your registration situation. You can now effectively be bound by hours of service regulations, and the list goes on. Basically your truck and an over the road tractor trailer will be treated the same, even thought it is the farthest thing from the truth.
your painting with a big brush .......air brakes arent a big of a pain as u make them seem, you need a 9/16 wrench and 5 mins to adjust them , hours in service is only if you work outside a 100 mile radius from your yard.... and with the apportioned plates you only need that if your planing on travel outside your home state ,otherwise you can register it like you would any other truck
Old 07-04-2011, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjack View Post
thats almost true .......you can tow over 10k when is a boat or camper , stuff like that cause thats personal ...........if your out with a truck thats got lawn movers on it or a skid steer on it , hence making money , thats what puts you in CDL land.....

one of the landscapers around here got stopped with his f450 dump ,trailer in tow with a jd 110 backhoe on it and he got put out of service cause the driver didnt have his CDL , i know all this cause my friend is the one that had to go get the truck for him off the side of the road , and the above statement is what the trooper told him
It's always true. (unless hauling hazmat or passengers)

Towing over 10k may put you in CDL land but only if the CGVWR is over 26k. Your buddy with the f450 and trailer was likely over 26k as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster View Post
It's always true. (unless hauling hazmat or passengers)

Towing over 10k may put you in CDL land but only if the CGVWR is over 26k. Your buddy with the f450 and trailer was likely over 26k as well.
true , ok let me try this again .....say your out with a 1/2 or 3/4 ton pick up mostly likely your not pulling a trailer much over 10k so TRUE your not going to have a CGVWR over 26k and if you did your most likely over the mfg gvw for the truck......but alot of guys on here have 1 tons and thats when you float around that magic number..... thats all im trying to say is that when people say you can tow over 10k its only half true
Old 07-05-2011, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
true , ok let me try this again .....say your out with a 1/2 or 3/4 ton pick up mostly likely your not pulling a trailer much over 10k so TRUE your not going to have a CGVWR over 26k and if you did your most likely over the mfg gvw for the truck......but alot of guys on here have 1 tons and thats when you float around that magic number..... thats all im trying to say is that when people say you can tow over 10k its only half true
If you would look back to post #9 you will see that I said you don't need a CDL to tow 10k. So this over 10k and over 26k don't really mean sh!t anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster View Post
If you would look back to post #9 you will see that I said you don't need a CDL to tow 10k. So this over 10k and over 26k don't really mean sh!t anyway.
well.... i guess i read it to quick the first time
Old 07-06-2011, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking Good Lawn Service View Post
The cdl truck has more regulations, hence headache, if you don't need it...You have air brakes that need adjustment all the time, and the state police check that, you need to have apportioned plates depending on your registration situation. You can now effectively be bound by hours of service regulations, and the list goes on. Basically your truck and an over the road tractor trailer will be treated the same, even thought it is the farthest thing from the truth.
I see someone addressed this already, but when you don't know what you're talking about, you may just want to remain quiet.

Air brakes do not need to be adjusted all the time.

I have one truck that meets CDL requirements by itself that isn't apportioned, how does that work? I have several truck\trailer combos that make CDL's a requirement, and no apportionments on any of them? But I'm legal.

Hours of service, sure, but not a logbook.

What you fail to realize, is that many truck\trailer combos already require what you are saying, nothing to do with the size truck.

I bet you think that any truck that has airbrakes requires a CDL too, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1toomanyhobbies View Post
Right, I know above CDL you begin to fall under a lot of regulations. Question. Can you buy a single axel that is rated to 33k and then only weight it for 26k to get under the CDL? I talked to one guy who seemed to think you could but he was a salesman so I took it with a grain of salt.
Salesman is an idiot. You can plate anything for whatever you want, but CDL requirements go by GVW, as stated. Not the plate.

Of course, if you want to do this, and decide to load the truck up over the 26K, you can get an overweight ticket even though the truck might be under the GVWR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLARK LAWN View Post
you can sticker it for anything you want,BUT when you get stopped they are going to look at the sticker on the door and go by that.
Nice to see someone has a clue.

Quote:
thats almost true .......you can tow over 10k when is a boat or camper , stuff like that cause thats personal ...........if your out with a truck thats got lawn movers on it or a skid steer on it , hence making money , thats what puts you in CDL land.....

one of the landscapers around here got stopped with his f450 dump ,trailer in tow with a jd 110 backhoe on it and he got put out of service cause the driver didnt have his CDL , i know all this cause my friend is the one that had to go get the truck for him off the side of the road , and the above statement is what the trooper told him
Troopers are just about by and large as ignorant of the laws as Congress.

Quote:
your painting with a big brush .......air brakes arent a big of a pain as u make them seem, you need a 9/16 wrench and 5 mins to adjust them , hours in service is only if you work outside a 100 mile radius from your yard.... and with the apportioned plates you only need that if your planing on travel outside your home state ,otherwise you can register it like you would any other truck
Agreed.