Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-16-2011, 10:31 AM
lawnlandscape lawnlandscape is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 723
Which Broadleaf Herbicide should I be using? (I have used 4 different ones this yr)

Hey guys...

This year I ordered Momentum from Lesco that I was planning on going with from now on, but I had some Trimec 992 left over from last year that I finished off first. I was NEVER very happy with the control that I got from Trimec though. I ended up going through all the Momentum I ordered and had some 4-speed sitting on the shelf from last year as well, so I ended up using all that too. I have been happy with the control I got from 4-speed, but its more expensive then anything else I have used and I don't like how much it foams when mixing it because I can't get a full tank with all the foaming. I needed more to finish my spring ap, so I ended up stopping at a coop and picking up the only thing they had which was strike 3 (which I have never used before but is mixing in my tank right now.

This year I have been using Lesco for all my supply needs. I just want to know what some of you other guys are using and having good results with

My costs of the 4 products I have used in 2.5 gallons are:

Trimec 992 - $65.00 (But I have not been happy with it)
Momentum - $140.00 (Used a lot of it this year, but first year using it)
4 Speed - $150.00 (Expensive - Happy with results, but it foams to much)
Strike 3 - $85.00 (First time using it)

Quality matters so much more to me then price. I need something I can spray and know I will be happy with the results. I live in Wisconsin so its cool season lawns.

Mementum is expensive, but if it works great, it is worth it... but I don't know how well it works yet. Any advise for me would be greatly appreciated.

I am educated in turfgrass science but the differences between the broadleaf weed controls have always confused me.

Thanks for your help!
__________________
-lawnlandscape
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-16-2011, 10:58 AM
cgaengineer's Avatar
cgaengineer cgaengineer is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winder, GA
Posts: 15,777
fyi...they make defoamers for chemicals.
__________________
Georgia Applicator License Number 09102

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-16-2011, 11:10 AM
lawnlandscape lawnlandscape is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 723
I'd rather just use one that does not foam. That is the most expencive product I have ever used and I dont want to buy a defoamer on top of it.

ALSO, what have you guys found that works the best one creeping charlie and wild violet?
__________________
-lawnlandscape
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-16-2011, 11:12 AM
cgaengineer's Avatar
cgaengineer cgaengineer is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winder, GA
Posts: 15,777
Defoamer is cheap...doesn't take much either but to each his own.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-16-2011, 11:45 AM
vaacutabove vaacutabove is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: forest va
Posts: 951
forget the price per "jug" thing do the math what is the price per 1k. you may be surprised I think the momentum goes further than you think if i remember right don't have any with me at the moment.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-16-2011, 11:58 AM
MnLefty MnLefty is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 359
I have jumped on the 3-way spiked with .87 oz/A of Quicksilver this year (1 oz in a PG Magnum tank), and have had outstanding results with it. Not much violet to speak of but I've absolutely wiped out fields of young creeping charlie with it... better than anything I've thrown at CC before. Maybe the timing was just right, maybe it was the QS, but I've knocked out more with 1 app than anything else I've tried. The Quicksilver adds about $.27/1000 to my costs but has been well worth it for me.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-16-2011, 03:30 PM
MikeInMKE MikeInMKE is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 33
I bought a house a year ago. The previous owners didn't kill a weed or trim a branch in the last decade. Creeping Charlie and Wild Violet had taken over and crowded out the grass in the back third of the back yard, including what was once a substantial flower bed plus the vegetable garden.

I tried Drive w/ MSO just after the first frost last fall and saw no appreciable results.

This spring, while the CC was in bloom, I blanketed the entire lawn with Speed Zone at the prescribed rate. Within days the CC was obviously in distress. Within a week, the WV was also in distress. After two weeks, 90% of the CC is gone with the other 10% on it's way. And by gone, I mean what was covered by CC is now bare dirt with no sign that CC was ever there.

Before the Speed Zone, the WV was healthy, shiny, and green. Now it's brown around the edges, curling up, and not so green or shiny anymore.

Last weekend I mixed up a gallon for a neighbor so he could kill the CC on his side of the fence, and it seems to be working for him as well.

This weekend, I'll spot spray whatever survived.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-16-2011, 04:30 PM
lawnlandscape lawnlandscape is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInMKE View Post
I bought a house a year ago. The previous owners didn't kill a weed or trim a branch in the last decade. Creeping Charlie and Wild Violet had taken over and crowded out the grass in the back third of the back yard, including what was once a substantial flower bed plus the vegetable garden.

I tried Drive w/ MSO just after the first frost last fall and saw no appreciable results.

This spring, while the CC was in bloom, I blanketed the entire lawn with Speed Zone at the prescribed rate. Within days the CC was obviously in distress. Within a week, the WV was also in distress. After two weeks, 90% of the CC is gone with the other 10% on it's way. And by gone, I mean what was covered by CC is now bare dirt with no sign that CC was ever there.

Before the Speed Zone, the WV was healthy, shiny, and green. Now it's brown around the edges, curling up, and not so green or shiny anymore.

Last weekend I mixed up a gallon for a neighbor so he could kill the CC on his side of the fence, and it seems to be working for him as well.

This weekend, I'll spot spray whatever survived.
Where do you get your speed zone? What does it cost you for a 2.5 gallon?
__________________
-lawnlandscape
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-16-2011, 05:15 PM
MikeInMKE MikeInMKE is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnlandscape View Post
Where do you get your speed zone? What does it cost you for a 2.5 gallon?
I've been buying at the local Fleet Farm (Germantown, WI) where they sell it by the 20 oz bottle for $17 and change.

Last edited by MikeInMKE; 06-16-2011 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Correction.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-16-2011, 07:20 PM
N8EvansLG N8EvansLG is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: High Ridge Missouri
Posts: 30
I use monemtum fx2 and get very good results
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:48 AM.

Page generated in 0.10022 seconds with 7 queries