Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-16-2011, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Which Broadleaf Herbicide should I be using? (I have used 4 different ones this yr)

Hey guys...

This year I ordered Momentum from Lesco that I was planning on going with from now on, but I had some Trimec 992 left over from last year that I finished off first. I was NEVER very happy with the control that I got from Trimec though. I ended up going through all the Momentum I ordered and had some 4-speed sitting on the shelf from last year as well, so I ended up using all that too. I have been happy with the control I got from 4-speed, but its more expensive then anything else I have used and I don't like how much it foams when mixing it because I can't get a full tank with all the foaming. I needed more to finish my spring ap, so I ended up stopping at a coop and picking up the only thing they had which was strike 3 (which I have never used before but is mixing in my tank right now.

This year I have been using Lesco for all my supply needs. I just want to know what some of you other guys are using and having good results with

My costs of the 4 products I have used in 2.5 gallons are:

Trimec 992 - $65.00 (But I have not been happy with it)
Momentum - $140.00 (Used a lot of it this year, but first year using it)
4 Speed - $150.00 (Expensive - Happy with results, but it foams to much)
Strike 3 - $85.00 (First time using it)

Quality matters so much more to me then price. I need something I can spray and know I will be happy with the results. I live in Wisconsin so its cool season lawns.

Mementum is expensive, but if it works great, it is worth it... but I don't know how well it works yet. Any advise for me would be greatly appreciated.

I am educated in turfgrass science but the differences between the broadleaf weed controls have always confused me.

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-16-2011, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

fyi...they make defoamers for chemicals.

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 06-16-2011, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd rather just use one that does not foam. That is the most expencive product I have ever used and I dont want to buy a defoamer on top of it.

ALSO, what have you guys found that works the best one creeping charlie and wild violet?
Old 06-16-2011, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Defoamer is cheap...doesn't take much either but to each his own.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-16-2011, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

forget the price per "jug" thing do the math what is the price per 1k. you may be surprised I think the momentum goes further than you think if i remember right don't have any with me at the moment.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have jumped on the 3-way spiked with .87 oz/A of Quicksilver this year (1 oz in a PG Magnum tank), and have had outstanding results with it. Not much violet to speak of but I've absolutely wiped out fields of young creeping charlie with it... better than anything I've thrown at CC before. Maybe the timing was just right, maybe it was the QS, but I've knocked out more with 1 app than anything else I've tried. The Quicksilver adds about $.27/1000 to my costs but has been well worth it for me.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I bought a house a year ago. The previous owners didn't kill a weed or trim a branch in the last decade. Creeping Charlie and Wild Violet had taken over and crowded out the grass in the back third of the back yard, including what was once a substantial flower bed plus the vegetable garden.

I tried Drive w/ MSO just after the first frost last fall and saw no appreciable results.

This spring, while the CC was in bloom, I blanketed the entire lawn with Speed Zone at the prescribed rate. Within days the CC was obviously in distress. Within a week, the WV was also in distress. After two weeks, 90% of the CC is gone with the other 10% on it's way. And by gone, I mean what was covered by CC is now bare dirt with no sign that CC was ever there.

Before the Speed Zone, the WV was healthy, shiny, and green. Now it's brown around the edges, curling up, and not so green or shiny anymore.

Last weekend I mixed up a gallon for a neighbor so he could kill the CC on his side of the fence, and it seems to be working for him as well.

This weekend, I'll spot spray whatever survived.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInMKE View Post
I bought a house a year ago. The previous owners didn't kill a weed or trim a branch in the last decade. Creeping Charlie and Wild Violet had taken over and crowded out the grass in the back third of the back yard, including what was once a substantial flower bed plus the vegetable garden.

I tried Drive w/ MSO just after the first frost last fall and saw no appreciable results.

This spring, while the CC was in bloom, I blanketed the entire lawn with Speed Zone at the prescribed rate. Within days the CC was obviously in distress. Within a week, the WV was also in distress. After two weeks, 90% of the CC is gone with the other 10% on it's way. And by gone, I mean what was covered by CC is now bare dirt with no sign that CC was ever there.

Before the Speed Zone, the WV was healthy, shiny, and green. Now it's brown around the edges, curling up, and not so green or shiny anymore.

Last weekend I mixed up a gallon for a neighbor so he could kill the CC on his side of the fence, and it seems to be working for him as well.

This weekend, I'll spot spray whatever survived.
Where do you get your speed zone? What does it cost you for a 2.5 gallon?
Old 06-16-2011, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnlandscape View Post
Where do you get your speed zone? What does it cost you for a 2.5 gallon?
I've been buying at the local Fleet Farm (Germantown, WI) where they sell it by the 20 oz bottle for $17 and change.

Last edited by MikeInMKE; 06-16-2011 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Correction.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I use monemtum fx2 and get very good results