Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-14-2011, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Asulam 3.3 legal to use on my yard?

When I bought my house 5 or 6 years ago, the previous owner left everything in the garage like paint/fertilizers etc. There is a container of Asulux 3.3 that he said was the only thing that would kill the crabgrass that is such a pain here in florida.. at the time the grass was great.. it is now being taken over with crabgrass.. two questions..

1. Is it legal for me to use this???

2. if so, can a hose sprayer be used? (the directions to it only talk about commercial use)

I have sat out for hours pulling this stuff by hand because I don't know the mixing procedure for the asulam 3.3. But it is turning into a losing battle bigtime :{

Any input is greatly appreciated !!!
Old 06-14-2011, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush302 View Post
When I bought my house 5 or 6 years ago, the previous owner left everything in the garage like paint/fertilizers etc. There is a container of Asulux 3.3 that he said was the only thing that would kill the crabgrass that is such a pain here in florida.. at the time the grass was great.. it is now being taken over with crabgrass.. two questions..

1. Is it legal for me to use this???

2. if so, can a hose sprayer be used? (the directions to it only talk about commercial use)

I have sat out for hours pulling this stuff by hand because I don't know the mixing procedure for the asulam 3.3. But it is turning into a losing battle bigtime :{

Any input is greatly appreciated !!!
Rush

Homeowners are governed by the same laws Certified Operators are governed by. The Label is the law and any one who applies that product should follow the Label which is the law for that pesticide.

With that being said The Fla. Bureau of Entomology and Pest Control issued a memorandum about 10 years ago and about 2 years after Auslox/Auslam was removed from the residential market. That Memorandum made the application of Auslox/Auslam illegal on Home Lawns.

You ask so I told you the facts. How every besides the fact it is illegal, your chances of getting caught are slim and none. But the Method you want to use (hose end sprayer) would surely fry your yard.

My honest advice would be to hire a Pro. There are now legal herbicides that control Crab Grass. One problem you would run into Doing It Yourself is the cost of Professional Chemicals that might be packaged in 5 or more acre sizes.

ProMo is a member here who has been in the business for many years. He did his internship for over 3 years and passed the Certified Pesticide operator test with a 98% or one of the highest scores every. He is now a new fert & squirt Licensed company who is very capable of caring for your yard. Send him a Visitors message with your phone number.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Well that clears it up .. I was actually hesitant about using it anyway, .. I had a Pro doing the yard the first couple years after I bought the house, but "the company" was only doing SOME of my yard.. and it was full of weeds so I ditched them. Think I may check for some estimates and try someone different//

Thanx much for the info!!
Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Rush

Homeowners are governed by the same laws Certified Operators are governed by. The Label is the law and any one who applies that product should follow the Label which is the law for that pesticide.

With that being said The Fla. Bureau of Entomology and Pest Control issued a memorandum about 10 years ago and about 2 years after Auslox/Auslam was removed from the residential market. That Memorandum made the application of Auslox/Auslam illegal on Home Lawns.

You ask so I told you the facts. How every besides the fact it is illegal, your chances of getting caught are slim and none. But the Method you want to use (hose end sprayer) would surely fry your yard.

My honest advice would be to hire a Pro. There are now legal herbicides that control Crab Grass. One problem you would run into Doing It Yourself is the cost of Professional Chemicals that might be packaged in 5 or more acre sizes.

ProMo is a member here who has been in the business for many years. He did his internship for over 3 years and passed the Certified Pesticide operator test with a 98% or one of the highest scores every. He is now a new fert & squirt Licensed company who is very capable of caring for your yard. Send him a Visitors message with your phone number.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Well that clears it up .. I was actually hesitant about using it anyway, .. I had a Pro doing the yard the first couple years after I bought the house, but "the company" was only doing SOME of my yard.. and it was full of weeds so I ditched them. Think I may check for some estimates and try someone different//

Thanx much for the info!!
Rush
Rush

That Pro might be very questionable if the didn't get rid of weeds. My advice is to stay away from the bigger lawn spray companies because they use Help fresh off the street. Go with the small guys who actually have a vested interest in providing excellent service. Every one thinks Yard care is a simple thing. Yard Care can be simple but only if you have an educated eye to spot problem before they are a Problem.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 06-15-2011, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

rush i am one of the few homeowners on this board. unless you plan on getting the right equipment to do the job like it should be done like i done. then i would go with what ric said. you will find alot of good info on this sight from guys like ric ,greendoc and roy.

i dont know the guy ric recommend but if ric helped him then he knows his stuff but ric doesnt work with dumb ass's. and he will call it like he sees it.so if i were you i would give ric's guy a call and i bet you will find the guy you need...
Old 06-16-2011, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Rush

That Pro might be very questionable if the didn't get rid of weeds. My advice is to stay away from the bigger lawn spray companies because they use Help fresh off the street. Go with the small guys who actually have a vested interest in providing excellent service. Every one thinks Yard care is a simple thing. Yard Care can be simple but only if you have an educated eye to spot problem before they are a Problem.
Actually that makes good sense.. it was one of the large "chain type" comapnies.. and BOY was I not impreseed .. The one you told me about.. ProMo.. does he own/work for a company like that??

Thanx Ric
Old 06-16-2011, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeh, there is just too much to this stuff.. If I didn't hate mowing Bahia grass soo much I think I would drop my St. Augustine :\... between insects/chemical balance/disease it's enough to give a guy a headache!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
rush i am one of the few homeowners on this board. unless you plan on getting the right equipment to do the job like it should be done like i done. then i would go with what ric said. you will find alot of good info on this sight from guys like ric ,greendoc and roy.

i dont know the guy ric recommend but if ric helped him then he knows his stuff but ric doesnt work with dumb ass's. and he will call it like he sees it.so if i were you i would give ric's guy a call and i bet you will find the guy you need...
Old 06-16-2011, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Rush

ProMo is in Matiland if that is near enough to you since I really don't know that area. His company name is ProMo and his first name is Brian and yes he is a one man band. You don't have enough posts to PM him so I will give you his cell phone number 407 461 4035. While Brian is just starting out as a new Pesticide business owner this year that can work to your advantage. He has a lot of experience and knows his stuff. But as a New Company he will treat you right because he has a vested interested in doing good work and building his reputation.

Gregory

You know me and I have a angry management problem and it gets real bad when it comes to Dumb Asses. I am afraid is shows in some of my posts and how I have pounded or busted balls on certain Member of LS who I feel are too dumb to come in out of the rain. If I like someone they know it and if I don't like some stupid jerk they know it also. No one can say I am two faced because what you see is what you get with me.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Rush im Promo I am located in Casselberry depending on the area you live in I would be more than happy to take a look at your lawn
Old 06-17-2011, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Yeh, there is just too much to this stuff.. If I didn't hate mowing Bahia grass soo much I think I would drop my St. Augustine :\... between insects/chemical balance/disease it's enough to give a guy a headache!!
i wouldnt go back to bahia for any amount of money. once you get the in's and out's of st aug you will not have any problems. but if your not an outside type and dont want to spend the money of the right equipment then your better off talking to promo...i have an arce of st aug and my friends think i spend 40hrs a week on it. i dont spend more then 4hr a month on it i bet with mowing and spraying and fertilizering. but i have a z spray and a commerical ztr.