Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-16-2011, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Member

My Situation...

So I'm a sophmore in High School, and cuta bunch of lawns.

Bought a 32" Exmark mower back in April, no problems except for small oil leak, so bring it in to get tuned up. No problems.

Last week ago, (about 2 months or so since tune up), I hear a really weird noise. Doesn't sound good, so I bring it to local repair shop (Robies in Medford NJ). I get a call from them today, telling me that the weird noise is the sound of the engine about to blow. (when I bought the mower the guy said there weren't any problems, recently replaced transmission, and about 7 years old. Repair shop tells me the mower is AT LEAST 15 years old. So they give me a quote on replacing the mower, a new one would cost 900 plus labor. For a 13hp engine.

My question is would you suggest replacing the mower? Or shop around for a new used mower? Keep in mind I bought the mower for about 700, and put about 3-400 into it between parts, tune ups, accesories.

What do you suggest I do?
Old 06-16-2011, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Tough situation, however, welcome to the real world. Sorry to hear of your dilema, but that is the chance you take when you buy something used, especially from someone you don't know.

The guy may have been honest, and really didn't realize the mower was 15 years old, but, then again... who knows. I don't know if you've ever heard the expression "throwing good money after bad" or not, but it pretty much covers this situation. I, personally, would not put a grand in a mower that is 15 years old, and probably worth half that even if running. You'll end up with almost $2,000 total in the machine, over half of what you can buy a brand new one for, (someone correct me if I'm wrong, don't know much about Wb's) and it will still be a 15 year old mower.

If you have to go used, the next time do a little more research before putting down your hard earned money. There are threads on here all the time from guys trying to find out the year model of a mower they are looking at.

I don't know your situation, how serious you are about your business, or your family, but you might consider buying a new mower with warranty if your folks are willing to sign for financing. There are lots of interest free programs out there now, some with up to 36 months to pay. Good luck. Hope it all works out for you.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Would you suggest just running the mower to the ground? Like just run it until it literally breaks down, because I hear where your comming from, how it might not be a great idea to drop another grand on this mower and look for other options (used or a cheaper 32-36 new one), What exactly happens if the engine blows? Like it just seizes up? I just want to get every little bit out of this before I trash it, because i've only been using it for about 2 months.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Member

...cut your losses with this mower. I feel your pain...but I would bet it will continue to be a money pit. Man, that's a rough one. Keep your head up.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I'd cut my losses if I were you and in the future write down and check the model number of any used mower you buy.....DON'T EVER just take the owners word for it. The quicker you replace that mower the better as you don't want to embarrass yourself by breaking down while cutting someones lawn.

"Perfect Is Good Enough."

Lifted 7.3 Powerstroke, Exmark, Stihl, Echo, John Deere 110 Backhoe(was just stolen from us, southern states keep your eyes peeled).
Old 06-16-2011, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No,

Very simple rule to live by:
Never spend more to fix it than it's worth.

I apply that rule to almost everything mechanical, now you said you paid $700 for it.
Now it's probably worth less, but certainly not more.

And it's going to cost $900 to fix, that's more than the $700 it's worth.
Hence the answer is no, don't fix.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Member

So would you suggest buying used again but give it a more in-depth look over? I'm really trying to avoid a 3500 brand new lawnmower, even though it would be very nice haha
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-16-2011, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Same thing happened to me. Bought a 36in exmark put 50 hrs on it, motor blew. Replaced motor ($900) sold it 25 hrs later. What i had invested in it i could have easily bought me new one...
Old 06-16-2011, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I kind of disagree. I'd do some research, and shop around for a new motor for it. as long as the specs are the same, about any motor will work. Craigslist would be as good place to start. If you can find a decent used motor for a few hundred, I'd do it. Also, check in to a short block price for it.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Does the lawnmower shop you went to have any used mowers? Or trade ins? might be an option for you.