Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-08-2011, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Savings aside. If I just kept the $7k that I would have spent on a diesel we both end up with the same money in the end. We could argue back and forth until were blue in the face. A pot of money worth $45k is still worth $45k no matter how you divide it. Vehicles aren't assests, they're liabilities and do nothing but cost money. No one sells a vehicle and pockets the money. It just gets put into the next one so its not like any of us "make" money on a vehicle. If you put $20k into another $45k or I put $13k into another $38k what's the difference?? In my neck of the woods no one keeps vehicles long enough to justify fuel savings, longevity, or anything else as they just rot from the salt used.
Even if you pocket the money and I was able to hold on to that $7k I initially saved and pocket my truck sale guess what...were both at the same money again. Sorry I just don't see it.

Work trucks are bought on preference and/or need. Each gas and diesel truck serve their purpose.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by MDLawn; 09-08-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

O
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLawn View Post
Savings aside. If I just kept the $7k that I would have spent on a diesel we both end up with the same money in the end. We could argue back and forth until were blue in the face. A pot of money worth $45k is still worth $45k no matter how you divide it. Vehicles aren't assests, they're liabilities and do nothing but cost money. No one sells a vehicle and pockets the money. It just gets put into the next one so its not like any of us "make" money on a vehicle. If you put $20k into another $45k or I put $13k into another $38k what's the difference?? In my neck of the woods no one keeps vehicles long enough to justify fuel savings, longevity, or anything else as they just rot from the salt used.
Even if you pocket the money and I was able to hold on to that $7k I initially saved and pocket my truck sale guess what...were both at the same money again. Sorry I just don't see it.

Work trucks are bought on preference and/or need. Each gas and diesel truck serve their purpose.
Posted via Mobile Device
You may be confused.... I agree with what you are saying.
My point is that guys on here say the large fuel savings is offset by the larger purchase price. My point, and yours it seems, is that the higher purchase price is irrelevant because you get the money back when you sell the vehicle anyway. So the large fuel savings is not offset by the higher purchase price. It is actual savings. We use plenty of salt here in Michigan and trucks last plenty long if properly cared for.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh ha sorry! I'd argue the fuel savings thing but really, who cares. Just get whatever fuel burner you want.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-08-2011, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My oil goes right into the fuel tank and I change it myself. I spend the same amount on a oil change for 4 gallons as I do my 5qt f150. My mileage is 45% better than my f150 pulling my rig. If I subtract the 8% cost of buying diesel over gas I'm still ahead.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
My oil goes right into the fuel tank and I change it myself. I spend the same amount on a oil change for 4 gallons as I do my 5qt f150. My mileage is 45% better than my f150 pulling my rig. If I subtract the 8% cost of buying diesel over gas I'm still ahead.
You put your dirty oil into your fuel tank?
Old 09-08-2011, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry but I can't help myself. I just looked up diesel motor oil and I found it for around 16.99 a gallon. So 4 gallons would be $67.96. Thats just oil. I never performed an oil change on my 5.4 F250 for more than $30. I just don't see it, sorry. Even using Motorcraft 5w20 at 4.99 a quart ($35) plus a motorcraft filter (4.99) for a total of $40. Still less than the oil only. Everything requires maintenance and who cares what it costs because you have to maintain what you have, but I feel like the truth isnt being told. Unless you buy it by the 50 gallon drum and get a discount.

Last edited by MDLawn; 09-08-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

But i go 20,000 miles between oil changes and my Cummins uses 3 gallons,.so...??? Do the math. I come out ahead then too.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I know I know...diesels are far superior to anything on the planet ;-). To the OP just get whatever truck YOU want whether it burns gasoline or diesel. I have a suspicion EITHER will get the job done whether one is faster, blows black smoke, or it crawls along. There are die hard diesel and die hard gas fans. I'm in the middle. Get what suits you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-08-2011, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiepstra View Post
You put your dirty oil into your fuel tank?
Yes I do. I have an older IDI Ford also. I do the same for my older Mercedes. As long as you don't get water in it it's fine. I also pour my trans fluid in it as well when I do change it on my autos. The idi is a stick. All my mower oil gets burnt as well. I wouldn't run more than a 50/50 mix in it because it tends to smell a little. Sometimes I throw in a few gallons of veggie to make it smell like fries. 12.99 per gallon for oil and a 5 dollar filter 7,500 mile oil changes. 2010 f150 4.6 3v 5.5 qts of motorcraft and motorcraft filter usually runs me 30 bucks vs the 40 bucks it takes to change the oil in the IDI but I get 2500 miles extra out of it. Honestly, I wouldn't buy anything I couldn't work on so if a diesel is complicated to you stay clear.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Diesel fuel around here is .42c a gal more. My diesel gets 15mpg's towing my trailer. I just traded it in for a new 6.0 gasser. I pick it up next week after the upfitter gets the dump installed and painted. If I get 10mpg's towing my trailer, the gasser will cost me less per mile. I could get as low as 8mpg w the gasser and still cost less per mile then the diesel.

Oil changes are a wash...I go 10k w the dmax. syn oil and filter runs me about $85. The gasser will run me about $30 per oil change every 3k..

As far as resale, yes I got more for my diesel then if it was a gas, but I also pd more for my diesel then a gaser.

If you tow 7k or more every day, then the diesel is the way to go. I like my diesel, and will miss it, but it a work truck, and the gasses will cost ME less per mile to run.