Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-09-2011, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybowtie View Post
Diesel fuel around here is .42c a gal more. My diesel gets 15mpg's towing my trailer. I just traded it in for a new 6.0 gasser. I pick it up next week after the upfitter gets the dump installed and painted. If I get 10mpg's towing my trailer, the gasser will cost me less per mile. I could get as low as 8mpg w the gasser and still cost less per mile then the diesel.

Oil changes are a wash...I go 10k w the dmax. syn oil and filter runs me about $85. The gasser will run me about $30 per oil change every 3k..

As far as resale, yes I got more for my diesel then if it was a gas, but I also pd more for my diesel then a gaser.

If you tow 7k or more every day, then the diesel is the way to go. I like my diesel, and will miss it, but it a work truck, and the gasses will cost ME less per mile to run.
Wait til u start plowing w the gasser!
Old 09-09-2011, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

stay with the ram 1500. it's built exactly for what your using it for.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Diesel fuel around here is .42c a gal more. My diesel gets 15mpg's towing my trailer. I just traded it in for a new 6.0 gasser. I pick it up next week after the upfitter gets the dump installed and painted. If I get 10mpg's towing my trailer, the gasser will cost me less per mile. I could get as low as 8mpg w the gasser and still cost less per mile then the diesel.

Oil changes are a wash...I go 10k w the dmax. syn oil and filter runs me about $85. The gasser will run me about $30 per oil change every 3k..

As far as resale, yes I got more for my diesel then if it was a gas, but I also pd more for my diesel then a gaser.

If you tow 7k or more every day, then the diesel is the way to go. I like my diesel, and will miss it, but it a work truck, and the gasses will cost ME less per mile to run.
I don't know how your doing your math? If your diesel gets 15mpg, and your gas gets 8 that's like an 88% difference. 42¢ difference can't be 88%?
Old 09-09-2011, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thats IF i get as low as 8mpg.... i have a 01 3500 6.0 dump now also. I did the math.. in my situation, the gasser is cheaper to run then the diesel.

Jd, I HAVE plowed w a gasser for many yrs befor I got my dmax.

Alls im saying is the diesels are not the answer to everyones truck needs.
I used to thing they were. I was just like MOST diesel owners, If it wasnt a diesel it wasnt a real truck..Someone towing 3-4 k 95% of the time does not NEED a diesel. Tow 7k plus 2-3 times a week? yes the diesel will be a better fit.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
I don't know how your doing your math? If your diesel gets 15mpg, and your gas gets 8 that's like an 88% difference. 42¢ difference can't be 88%?
U better go back to school..Half of 15mpgs is 7.5..so 8mpg is LESS then 50%

Think before U type...
Old 09-09-2011, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
thats IF i get as low as 8mpg.... i have a 01 3500 6.0 dump now also. I did the math.. in my situation, the gasser is cheaper to run then the diesel.

Jd, I HAVE plowed w a gasser for many yrs befor I got my dmax.

Alls im saying is the diesels are not the answer to everyones truck needs.
I used to thing they were. I was just like MOST diesel owners, If it wasnt a diesel it wasnt a real truck..Someone towing 3-4 k 95% of the time does not NEED a diesel. Tow 7k plus 2-3 times a week? yes the diesel will be a better fit.
Well if you're talking strictly fuel price difference, then you'd need to get more like 13.5mpg to break even. That would be a 10% price difference. I highly doubt your 6.0 is even going to get over 10. I had a 4.3 and a 5.3 I think 1500 Chevy and neither one got more than 12 as a regular cab pulling an open 6x12 single axle with 2000lbs on it. Same trailer with my 4.63v f150 got around 10. I'm with you a diesel isn't for everyone and isn't a cure all; however, strictly fuel mileage a diesel is going to out perform every time. Diesel engines are more efficient and diesel has more energy than gasoline. About 125kbtu vs 150ish off the top of my head (20%).
Old 09-09-2011, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
U better go back to school..Half of 15mpgs is 7.5..so 8mpg is LESS then 50%

Think before U type...
Seriously....... that's a 100% difference I'd love to see how you figure your profit margin... Wish I could curse sometimes on this site, but it looks like this ******* dumb ****. 7.5+100%=15 or 7.5x1=+7.5=15
Old 09-09-2011, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Let me put it to you like this... Is going from 15 to 7.5 going to increase your fuel bill by 50% or double it??? 11.25 would be increasing it 50% your doing your math backwards. Sorry for this insult I feel bad now that you may be just looking at the problem wrong. It was to late to edit my post. Like I said before you'd have to get 13.5mpg in the 6.0 to get the same fuel bill as your older diesel.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If anyone is in doubt what a truck with a gas engine can do,go on PLOWSITE and search the posts for Alaska Boss,he uses a gas powered truck and plows as much if not more snow than anyone on the site.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
Let me put it to you like this... Is going from 15 to 7.5 going to increase your fuel bill by 50% or double it??? 11.25 would be increasing it 50% your doing your math backwards. Sorry for this insult I feel bad now that you may be just looking at the problem wrong. It was to late to edit my post. Like I said before you'd have to get 13.5mpg in the 6.0 to get the same fuel bill as your older diesel.
Let me put it like this....I own both diesel and gas trucks..I know how much it costs ME to maintain each, and how much per mile it cost ME to run each.
I factor in not only fuel/filter, oil/filter and schedualed maint, but factor in the cost of unschedualed issues as well. All rigs break down, gassers are less expensive to repair.

I will miss my dmax..I like the power, the sound, and well just liked havin one..lol. Its not my daily driver, its a work truck. I have pulled my trailer with each rig, and the 1 ton dump gasser I have now gets VERY close to the same millage my dmax does towing my trailer. The new gasser will cost me less per mile to run with everything factored in.

No insult taken, everyone has to decide what works best for there situation.
Diesel will have to drop to within .22cents of gas for the diesel to cost me less to run.