Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-17-2011, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Chevy Colorado or Silverado 1500

So I am comparing and contrasting the colorado and silverado as a next vehicle purchase.

We have 2 2500 hd '97 & '11
We plan to get rid of a '00 1500

We are replacing that one with a '09-'12 truck colorado or 1500.

We have tons of small push mow lots in city streets of albany and troy that take 15 minutes to mow and we snow blow those clients also. This truck could be used to do estimates being that I would get v6 model of 1500 of 5 cyl colorado.

Colorado offers more options than 1500 wt at a price of $2-3k less, but we lose towing and hauling ability, but with the 2500 we have that ability. A lot of the time the '00 just sits, but when we use it we do not tow with it, but we do put 2 yards of mulch in it. The colorado would only fit one, but the 2500 can take up to 5 at a time. That would be the only downfall.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions. This purchase would be a truck my brother would drive around as a company vehicle and would use to go wherever he wants as part of his benefits package so gas mileage helps save money. colorado has 3 mpg better city and highway. I want to know what you all think because you are very opinionated and in the industry to begin with.

one more piece of information. my personal vehicle a '10 wrangler is used for estimates a lot of the time. If that matters.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We need 3 trucks also. 97 is the plow and lawn mowing truck, but the 11 is the backup to that truck in case and the '00 is the truck we use when we need more capacity or for snow blowing really.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Generally speaking you can get the almost identical drive-train on a 1500 as a Colorado.

The only real saving would be weight, which equals a bit better fuel economy.

Now, I have an S-10 as my small ride for landscape maintenance and the errands. It has worked perfectly for me for the last 5 years. I just wish the bed (4 door crew cab) was a tad longer and they addressed that with the Colorado by expanding the bed a bit.

Personally I need to axe the S-10 though and at least get a 1500 4wd to be able to put a plow on it. But that's the only reason I would get a bigger truck.

Otherwise I've been happy with the small truck and trailer set up. It keeps me efficient.

Also wanted to add that I have an 01 3500HD C and C dump for the big stuff and plowing.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Colorado can be ordered from.the factory with UTE aluminum flat bed installed and delivered to.you dealer. Put on a tailgateramp and has just emulated a dovetail flat bed conversion. Has just as much payload capacity as it bigger brother. Google Ute bed
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2011, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Colorado can be ordered from.the factory with UTE aluminum flat bed installed and delivered to.you dealer. Put on a tailgateramp and has just emulated a dovetail flat bed conversion. Has just as much payload capacity as it bigger brother. Google Ute bed
Posted via Mobile Device
That would be sweet. I've seen a few of those around.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:27 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

the bed size on the colorado is so small its useless as a work truck
Old 06-18-2011, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnboy dan View Post
the bed size on the colorado is so small its useless as a work truck
Point taken, but it can haul a snowblower in winter.

We run 2 crews a mow crew and a landscape crew. that is what the 2500s are for. Then in winter we run one plow and a snowblower. I want to keep a backup for the plow so we have the 2 2500 for plowing. So this final vehicle is for snowblowing. And for when we are just push mowing small yards. So yes you don't have much room in the bed.

What I am really looking for is someone who has had experience with a colorado s-10 or ranger in working. I had a ranger but sold it. It was nice but older. It would come in handy when doing small masonry jobs and estimates that is why I think the colorado might be a good bet. Bed is 6.1 ft x 4 ft x 1.5 ft tall i think. Which may haul a yard roughly. The towing is 4000 lbs which would tow some of our trailers. but you lose a lot of capacity in them....
Old 06-18-2011, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Member

FYI, There is someone with a decent looking Colorado for sale just off I90 Exit 8. Go straight up RT 43 for about a half mile, its parked by the road. I think the sign said $6800.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I saw that, small 5ft bed though I think...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-19-2011, 05:28 PM
Banned

I had a 2003 CHEVY S10 Zr2 4.3 with the 4l60e auto.I put a supercharger on it and it got 20mpg 17mpg towing. 4.3 is bulletproof
Posted via Mobile Device