Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-17-2011, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Question Hustler or Bad Boy? My BIG Decision...

Alright, my first post. I've really learned a lot in just the last few weeks while reading all the different posts. GREAT site!

I mow about a dozen properties, some of which are relatives...pro bono work.
The majority of my yards are residential 1/3 to 1/2 acre lots. I do have two yards that are both over an acre in size. I don't consider myself a full-scale commercial mower by any means, but I want a mower that's going to get the job done and last me a long time. 42 to 44 inch cut is a must due to gates going into backyards.

So I've narrowed down my decision on my next ZTR to the following...not that I won't listen to your recommendations of a similar mower. Here are my choices..what do you think?

2010 Hustler Mini Fastrak 42" with Honda 16 HP motor: $4400
2010 Hustler Mini Fastrak 42" with Kohler Courage 17 HP motor: $3700
2011 Bad Boy MZ 42" with Kawasaki 22 HP (FR) motor: $3300

Thanks!
Old 06-18-2011, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Member

If those are all your options available locally, I'd opt for the Hustler with the Honda engine. The higher initial cost will more than pay for itself down the road. The Kohler Courage engines are essentially garbage for light-use only...read horror stories from many residential users who experienced pre-mature engine failure. I haven't heard many good things about Badboy mowers either, though Kawasaki makes excellent engines.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Look at the bad boy CZt 42", its full commercial withal vanguard for $5499, still pretty lightweight too. I know a Guy here that has a bb 36" Zt for sale, it would be a lot heavier duty than the mini or the mz.... the 42" mz cuts and performs really well with the twin Kawasaki, but always member you listed all homeowner units as an option, also look at the 19hp fastrak superduty 42.....much better for you. You really need all metal pullies, heavier duty spindles, serviceable granny, etc. The mini and the mz are really only made to mow one of those 12 yards you have, any more than that and you are eating into the lifespan of them...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2011, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

For that size yard, mower deck, and price range I would strongly recommend a walk behind with sulky or stander mower. The wb or stander will outlast the smaller ztr in most cases. Most mfg's don't put heavy duty commerical stuff in the smaller ztr because they go torwards homeowners more than commerical guys. The wb and stander are built for the commerical guy, I have seen some late 80's scag wb mowers still being used daily still today.

Another advantage with the wb or stander is in smaller yards like you have can get dusty as it as short runs and then you turn around and go right through the cloud of dust. If you are sitting all that falls on your lap, legs, etc. When standing you don't get as dirty.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2011, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the quick responses. I know what you guys are saying is true, I just have a hard time pulling the trigger and spending that much right now. I will if I have to though.

I just found a 2008 Gravely Hydro Walk Behind with only 140 hours on that I can get for $2500 or less. Any thoughts on this?

I've also considered the 36" Hustler Trimstar.

Anyone know of a good Stand On mower that's around 4 or 5k?

I was set to buy the Hustler Fastrak Superduty 42" at one point but they haven't even got them in yet...maybe August one dealer told me.

RETRODOG: Can you tell me anymore about the 36" Bad Boy that's for sale?

THANKS AGAIN!
Old 06-18-2011, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

What engine on the gravely and deck size? Sounds like what you need right there. I own a 08 trimstar and it works well, a 48" though. Go hydro on a w/b. Stand ons are going to be above 5k new.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2011, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Member

The Gravely walk behind has a 36" deck with 15 hp Kawasaki engine. It is a hydro mower according to the listing. Around 140 hours on it. Think I'm going to call and test run it. I've never run one before. Does having a sulky make a big difference? After weedeating and other things on a hot day it sure is nice to take a seat on a ztr and relax for a while.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Homeowner bought it, and is wanting a 50 or 60". It is the Zt 26hp Briggs, 3100 tyranny 7 guage commercial deck. It is very funny looking because it is 36" and was designed to fit through nearly all gates. I will have to look back to see what year it is (he can't remember), but he said it doesn't have 40 hours. He is asking 3500. I would much rather sit down on something instead of stand...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-21-2011, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Sounds good. Any way to get pics of it sent to my email? Where in Oklahoma is it?

dhobson@sdale.org

Thanks
Old 06-21-2011, 01:22 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a Toro hydro walkbehind I'd sell. It's around a 03/04 model, I'd have to check. 15HP Kohler, 44" cut, t-bar. Guy I bought it from said it had around 600 hours, seems about right. I haven't used it much since I bought it. It just collects dust, we have more mowers than we really need. I was wanting to get $1300 or so out of it, but I'd sell it to you for $1000. I'm in Manhattan, Kansas. PM me and let me know if you're interested, I can tell you more about the mower.