Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-19-2011, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Member

meet the oldest lawn guy

we are subcontracted to mow city parks and islands and when i was at one development mowing i saw a guy mowing a residential on a cub cadet z mower
well when he was done he drove over and we shot the **** for a couple minutes he told me he was 90 years old and has 8 accounts left that he does
he said he has been doing this for over 70 years god bless him
he is the oldest gardener/lawn care guy i have ever meant
what is the oldest lawn care guy any of you have meant
Old 06-19-2011, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's great! I'm the oldest LCO I know and i'm only 51
Old 06-19-2011, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

My grandfather did this till he was 84 and my father-in-law is 72 and still has 6 accounts that he cares for.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Member

I just picked up a new account from a 92 year old lady whose lawn guy retired. He is 89 and had been doing her lawn for 41 years together with his little brother, 85 years old.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-19-2011, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I like this thread. I was waiting at a stoplight a week or so ago and another lawn service truck pulled up beside me. Two grizzled guys were in there and one nodded and commented how F*^% hot it was. I agreed. He went on to say he was too old to be doing lawns but it was all he knew...I asked him how long he has been cutting. He said, "well, I'll be 86 in a month and I've been mowing lawns since I was in 5th grade..." God bless him.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can't imagine doing physical labor at that age Great thread though!
Old 06-19-2011, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

there is a guy on here that revealed to me he has sprayed lawns since 1959!
Old 06-26-2011, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Member

How about the youngest.

I saw a five year old helping his dad do lawns. When I first saw them I thought, "That's cute, dad is mowing the lawn and the kid is pushing a toy mower." I was sitting a half block away when I saw them and then I realized it wasn't a toy. The kid was getting after it with a self propelled walk behind. The handle bars came up to his shoulders and he was struggling with the turns but he was mowing a lot of grass in a hurry.

When he finished dad came over and put the mower in the trailer for him. The kid goes directly to the blower and starts blowing the sidewalk. All business, no playing around. I thought he should be playing baseball somewhere but who know what goes on in people's lives.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

This thread is the exact reason why I have a 401k, in this business you better either put money aside or grow the business large enough that you can sell it off for a pretty penny or you'll still be pushing the mower till the day before you go in the ground. There are plenty of guys on here that make just enough to pay the bills no not much more, what are they gonna do when there to old to work or get injured and need to take time off? Atleast you if grow your business enough, you can sit back and just work the office, or even do nothing at all and let grunts do all the manual labor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutterCutter View Post
How about the youngest.

I saw a five year old helping his dad do lawns. When I first saw them I thought, "That's cute, dad is mowing the lawn and the kid is pushing a toy mower." I was sitting a half block away when I saw them and then I realized it wasn't a toy. The kid was getting after it with a self propelled walk behind. The handle bars came up to his shoulders and he was struggling with the turns but he was mowing a lot of grass in a hurry....
till someone gets hurt and OSHA and the state gets involved
Old 06-29-2011, 03:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You could use that as an advertisement to steal his business!! I could see the sales pitch now..... "Is your current LCO about to croak?"!!!

/sarcasm.

I have a 3 year old that loves "mowing grass". He comes with me to mow relatives grass and we put his toy trimmer in the rack and strap down both of his toy mowers on the trailer!! However, there is no way he's even gonna walk close to a mower with the blades spinning for a long time! Letting a 5YO use a mower is like handing him a gun....... idiot.

He's already had one hospital visit for touching a hot muffler, and it about killed me cause I should have known better. I know I wouldn't be able to handle him losing a foot or something because I thought he could handle a mower at five.